PDA

View Full Version : Very nooby question about known spells.

An Enemy Spy
2018-04-08, 03:27 PM
I'm playing my first ever 5e game today and my character has 6 levels of Ranger. On his spell table it says he knows four spells and that he can cast 4 1st level spells and 2 2nd level spells a day, but not how many spells of each level he's allowed to know. So my question is, can I just give him four spells of any combination of levels I feel like, like three 2nd levels ones and only one 1st level one?

Xihirli
2018-04-08, 03:32 PM
Treat it as if you leveled it up. Your spell choices were all level 1 spells until you hit 5th level, but you could have replaced two. So yeah, you know up to 3 second level spells.

shadow_archmagi
2018-04-08, 03:36 PM
I believe the way it's handled is that you can only learn spells of the levels you can cast, so at level 4 you'd know 3 first level spells, then at level 5 you'd have one new spell that COULD be 2nd level, and at every level you can swap out an existing spell so you could trade one of your 1st levels up to a 2nd at both 5th and 6th.

So the legal arrangements are 1-3, 2-2, 3-1, and 4-0.

Lord8Ball
2018-04-08, 03:37 PM
I think a ranger knows a certain amount of spells and can distribute the known spells amongst the level of spells you can cast as you wish. You can change these known spells as you level.