PDA

View Full Version : The Oneiroi (MitP)

AKA_Bait
2007-09-01, 11:25 AM
I just made this for Vorpal's current monster competition but I figured I'd post it here first to get some feedback since this is the first monster I have created.

The Oneiroi

“Laying his wings aside, [he] took Ceyx‘s form and face and, deathly pale and naked, stood beside the poor wife‘s bed. His beard was wet and from his sodden hair the sea-drips flowed; then leaning over her, weeping, he said: `Poor, poor Alcyone! Do you know me, your Ceyx? Am I changed in death? Look! Now you see, you recognize - ah! Not your husband but your husband‘s ghost. Your prayers availed me nothing. I am dead. Feed not your heart with hope, hope false and vain.”
–Ovid, Metamorphoses 11.585

Oneiroi
Medium Outsider (Chaotic, Extraplanar, Evil)
HD 6d8+6 (33 hp)
Speed 30 ft. (6 squares), fly 50 ft. (average)
Init: +2
AC 20 (+2 Dex, +8 natural), touch 12, flat-footed 18
BAB +6; Grp +6
Attack Claw +6 melee (1d6+1)
Full-Attack Two Claws +6 Melee (1d6+1)
Space/Reach 5 ft. / 5 ft.
Special Attacks Spell-like abilities, dream haunting, Nox’s Entrapment
Special Qualities Outsider Subtype, Damage reduction 10/cold iron or good, darkvision 120 ft., immunity to electricity, poison and sleep effects, resistance to acid 5, cold 5, and fire 5, spell resistance 18, telepathy 100 ft., tongues
Saves Fort +6, Ref +7, Will +7
Abilities Str 10, Dex 15, Con 13, Int 16, Wis 14, Cha 26
Skills Bluff +21, Concentration +10, Diplomacy +12, Disguise +19*, Escape Artist +10, Hide +11, Intimidate +19, Knowledge (any one) +12, Listen +19, Move Silently +12, Search +12, Spot +19,
Feats Persuasive, Skill Focus: Bluff, Skill Focus: Disguise
Environment Nox (a layer of the abyss)
Organization Solitary, Troupe (2 to 4 Oneiroi)
Challenge Rating 8
Treasure ½ Standard
Alignment Always Chaotic Evil
Advancement by character class;
Favored Class: Beguiler
Level Adjustment +6

The Oneiroi are demons from an upper layer of the Abyss known as Nox. They deal in dreams, nightmares, and the possession of sleepers. They torment those who dream, filling their minds with worry and despair. If left unchecked they will drive a sleeper to sleepwalking murder or waking suicide. In their natural form they look like attractive humans with proportional black raven’s wings and clawed hands but they are rarely seen in their true form outside of Nox. When outside of Nox they frequently take the form of someone close to their prey so as to drive their sorrow.

Combat

The oneiroi avoid direct confrontation as often as possible. Their strength lies in stealth and deception. If combat is initiated they will attempt to flee as soon as possible using their etherealness, greater teleport and planeshift abilities. Oneiroi are capricious and if discovered they may, or may not, decide to return to torment their target again.

Spell Like Abilities:

At will— detect thoughts (DC 20), etherealness (self plus 50 pounds of objects only), suggestion (DC 21), greater teleport (self plus 50 pounds of objects only), planeshift (self plus 50 pounds of objects only). Caster level 12th. The save DCs are Charisma-based.

Change Shape (Su)

An oneiroi can assume the form of any Small or Medium humanoid.

Tongues (Su)

An oneiroi has a permanent tongues ability (as the spell, caster level 12th).

Dream Haunting (Su)

Oneiroi deliver their messages of sorrow and despair by using their etherealness ability and standing over the form of a sleeper which allows them to enter the sleepers dreams. Once in the dreams it uses its Change Shape ability to appear as someone close to the sleeper and attempts to implant a suggestion into the unconscious person’s mind for an action they must perform the next day. Sleepers remember the dream clearly and vividly the next morning.

Nox’s Entrapment (Su)

If an oneiroi enters the dreams and successfully implants a suggestion which is carried out for a week in a row on the eighth night he may attempt to possess the sleeper outright. This ability functions as a Magic Jar spell (DC 23) with the following exceptions: it is not blocked by the Protection from Evil spell or similar wards. The onerioi’s own body functions as the gem for the purposes of locating the victim. The orneroi knows the identity of the sleeper and may choose to enter and possess it specifically. The soul of the sleeper is not placed in the oneiroi’s body but is transported into The Black Prison of Nox, an enormous black emerald at the center of the layer of the abyss known as Nox. If the body of the sleeper is slain the oneiroi returns to its own body but the soul of the sleeper is not released from the gem. The sleeper cannot be raised, resurrected, reincarnated or any similar effect until its soul is freed from the gem. A wish, miracle, or similar effect can release the soul, as can traveling to Nox itself and touching the top of gem when speaking the sleeper’s name.

Once in possession of the sleeper an oneiroi frequently uses their body to wreak horrors upon those closest to them. The oneiroi aim to drive the sleeper into a deeper despair, ending in suicide. Occasionally, if they wish to trap the soul of their victim, they will kill the body themselves when in possession of it.

Skills

Oneiroi have a +8 racial bonus on Listen and Spot checks.
*While using his change shape ability, an Oneiroi gains a +10 circumstance bonus on Disguise checks.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Nox

Nox is a plane in the upper levels of the abyss. It exists in the constant darkness of 4 a.m. on a moonless night. Its inhabitants are mainly Oneiroi but some other demons, like Succubae, can be found living there as well.

Mostly barren of structures, the center of the layer is taken up by The Black Prison of Nox, a pitch black emerald the size of a mountain. Built upon its sheer black sides are the dwellings of the oneiroi and their kin. Resting at the very top, and built around it, is the dark fortress of Oizys in which Hypnos, the Demon Prince of the Oneiroi dwells. The pinnacle of the mountain stands in the center of his throne room.

------------------------------------------------------------
Plot Hooks:

1. The PC’s are asked for help in identifying the recent odd behavior of a local lord.
2. The PC’s have angered an outsider with ties to the oneiroi. One, or several, are sent to torment them.
3. A close friend, relative, or really important NPC has been possessed. They are slain and their soul is trapped in the Black Prison of Nox. The PC’s must journey to Nox to free the NPC’s soul so they can be resurrected.

TheLogman
2007-09-01, 09:56 PM
I'm sorry to say, but MitP is not currently accept entries for the book, and voting has already been resolved.

As for the monster, definitely one of the more interesting, plot-based monsters, not something you would fight in combat, but something that you would hunt, and then been killed by if not prepared.

AKA_Bait
2007-09-02, 02:02 AM
I'm sorry to say, but MitP is not currently accept entries for the book, and voting has already been resolved.

As for the monster, definitely one of the more interesting, plot-based monsters, not something you would fight in combat, but something that you would hunt, and then been killed by if not prepared.

I know it's not accepting any more stuff for the book. I only put the MitP up there because Vorpal had it in his thread title and I'm entering this thing in his monthly contest.

Oh, and thanks! That's what I was going for. I don't think there are enough plot-o-riffic monsters really.

EvilElitest
2007-09-02, 07:01 PM
I personally think it is really quite cool however
from,
EE