PDA

View Full Version : Oracle in 3.5

sodiumman
2018-04-08, 09:08 PM
So I'm making a character for a 3.5 campaign, and I ended up making an oracle, the class from pathfinder. But I'm ending up using the 3.5 cleric spell list, so what spells should I choose for my limited list?

Edit: Forgot to mention, It's essentially a divine sorcerer, charisma based casting and all.

Palanan
2018-04-08, 09:57 PM
Originally Posted by sodiumman
But I'm ending up using the 3.5 cleric spell list, so what spells should I choose for my limited list?

A good place to start would be to tell us what books your DM is allowing in the campaign.

Also, what mystery are you taking? Some of the mysteries have Pathfinder-specific spells for the bonus spells, so you may need to ask your DM for a case-by-case approval of the Pathfinder spells.

sodiumman
2018-04-08, 10:04 PM
I'm making a Whimsy Oracle, and the answer to which books are allowed is yes. Also, I'm planning on making a diplomancer/buffy/stealthy character, very much a charisma based all over.

GoodbyeSoberDay
2018-04-08, 10:55 PM
Going from PF to 3.5, many mid-level combat spells are effectively buffed, but with your focus you may not care. As a skill-focused character you'll love spamming Divine Insight (Spell Compendium) ahead of time to ensure you hit that high DC. Since you're a buffing type, spells like Recitation and Righteous Wrath of the Faithful (both in Spell Compendium) are very helpful for your buddies.

Ask your DM if both versions of spells are allowed, or if the 3.5 spell takes precedence. I'd generally rather cast equivalent spells with GP components instead of XP components. This is especially true given Blood Money (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/b/blood-money/) is easy to wand and then UMD, and you have native access to restorative spells.

If you're going to have either as a spell known, Breath of Life (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/b/breath-of-life) probably beats Revivify (Spell Compendium) due to it having no expensive component and possibly bringing the ally back to positives immediately, but Revivify is at least worth having as a scroll. It works even if your ally is deeply in the negatives, and there's no temporary negative level attached.

Oracles are okay with missing Channel Divinity in PF, but with the myriad ways of powering something fun, losing out on Turn Undead stings quite a bit in 3.5. Dipping Sacred Exorcist (Complete Divine) helps with that, and it requires either Dispel Evil or Dismissal.