PDA

View Full Version : What are good options for support oriented fighters?

Flashfire07
2018-04-08, 09:39 PM
Hey all. I'm statting up a few martial characters who focus on boosting their allies (increasing attack, boosting flanking, buffing saves, etc). I'm having trouble with suitable feats and abilities. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Kelb_Panthera
2018-04-08, 09:55 PM
What sources do you have available?

In B4 white raven crusader.

daremetoidareyo
2018-04-08, 09:57 PM
Pimp their AC and have them aid another every round?

Flashfire07
2018-04-08, 10:25 PM
What sources do you have available?

In B4 white raven crusader.

Any rules legal option. Third party supplements are allowed, it hadn't occurred to me to use the Tome of Battle for these guys but now that it's mentioned the White Raven school is very handy.

I'm attempting to stat up two minion fighter types, the first are highly trained and disciplined warriors who fight as a coordinated unit and the second are more individualistic but focus on setting up their enemy to be taken down by the enemy. Sneak attack would suit them well but I'm not sure Fighters or Warriors can take sneak attack.

There are also major NPCs I'm attempting to stat up. Firstly we have a heavily armoured knight who inspires his allies through skill at arms. Secondly, we have a hulking behemoth of a man who boosts his allies by knocking his opponents off balance and instilling fear in all around him. There are others but I don't want to accidentally turn this into a build focused thread

Faily
2018-04-08, 10:35 PM
If Pathfinder is an option, Cavaliers can be pretty solid team-buffers while also standing in the front to deal damage/soak damage. Some Cavalier-orders get nice buffs to give to party members, and sharing Teamwork Feats gives versatility to the group too.

Celestia
2018-04-08, 10:38 PM
Take levels in bard?

Flashfire07
2018-04-08, 10:38 PM
If Pathfinder is an option, Cavaliers can be pretty solid team-buffers while also standing in the front to deal damage/soak damage. Some Cavalier-orders get nice buffs to give to party members, and sharing Teamwork Feats gives versatility to the group too.

Oh yeah, Cavaliers are awesome. The main antagonist of this arc is one. There's also the Warlord class from the Tome of Secrets supplement which I'm using for another NPC. Teamwork feats are pretty cool too but I found they were too sitautional for regular use.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2018-04-08, 11:00 PM
How about a character who debuffs/controls opponents? Go Fighter 9 with Zhentarim Soldier (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060327a), Never Outnumbered, Imperious Command, Dreadful Wrath, and Fearsome armor (DotU version is most recent). Use a large size or powerful build race and get Power Attack, Knock Back, Combat Reflexes, and the Dungeoncrasher ACF. Throw on Knock-Down as well if you can.

For a 20-level build, Fighter 9/ Warblade 10/ Fighter 1 can get Weapon Supremacy in PH2 at 20th with the Fighter 10 bonus feat. White Raven maneuvers can aid allies, and Iron Heart Surge can get rid of area effects like Web, Black Tentacles, and Solid Fog. You could instead throw on Scarlet Corsair (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20050805b) 5+ to affect every opponent within 30 ft. with your intimidate checks, which still make opponents cower due to Imperious Command, even if it doesn't escalate the fear condition from previous uses.

Edit: There's also a scary paladin build (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?275093-its-a-villain-sort-of#5) that may be worth checking out.

Nifft
2018-04-08, 11:01 PM
In during White Raven Crusader.

Also White Raven Warblade.

Also Bard/Barbarian.

Also Marshal.

Venger
2018-04-08, 11:39 PM
In during White Raven Crusader.

Also White Raven Warblade.

Also Bard/Barbarian.

Also Marshal.
bardsader tho

mabriss lethe
2018-04-08, 11:43 PM
Draconic Auras might be nice (from either feats, or possibly using a marshal substituting a draconic for a normal aura. )

CMagnum
2018-04-08, 11:55 PM
What Nifft said 👍

Endarire
2018-04-09, 01:06 AM
This list (https://rpg.stackexchange.com/questions/65442/how-to-capitalise-on-high-charisma-in-a-melee-build?utm_medium=organic&utm_source=google_rich_qa&utm_campaign=google_rich_qa).

Goaty14
2018-04-09, 07:13 AM
Allied Defense (SS) + Combat Expertise to give vast swathes of AC to nearby allies?

Arkain
2018-04-09, 05:10 PM
Any rules legal option. Third party supplements are allowed, it hadn't occurred to me to use the Tome of Battle for these guys but now that it's mentioned the White Raven school is very handy.

I'm attempting to stat up two minion fighter types, the first are highly trained and disciplined warriors who fight as a coordinated unit and the second are more individualistic but focus on setting up their enemy to be taken down by the enemy. Sneak attack would suit them well but I'm not sure Fighters or Warriors can take sneak attack.

There are also major NPCs I'm attempting to stat up. Firstly we have a heavily armoured knight who inspires his allies through skill at arms. Secondly, we have a hulking behemoth of a man who boosts his allies by knocking his opponents off balance and instilling fear in all around him. There are others but I don't want to accidentally turn this into a build focused thread

Sounds like marshall. Also, sneak attack fighter is a thing in 3.5. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm) Costs you the bonus feats, however.

SirNibbles
2018-04-09, 06:48 PM
Human Pugilist Fighter 1/Marshal 2/Stalwart Battle Sorcerer 2/Tattooed Monk 3

(Dragon Magazine #310, page 37; Miniatures Handbook, page 11; Complete Mage, page 36; Unearthed Arcana, page 56; Complete Warrior, page 82)

Stats: CHA>CON>STR>INT>DEX>WIS

That first fighter level gets you a Fighter Bonus Feat, Improved Unarmed Strike, and Endurance (2/3 feats needed for Tattooed Monk). Plus you get your Human bonus feat. Get a Monk's belt when you can afford one.

Marshal gives you auras. I'd go for the Draconic route and pick up Vigor as a major aura, giving Fast Healing to allies (including you) below 50% HP. Tactics as a minor aura, giving a nice bonus to your allies damage when they flank. Martial Study/Martial Stance to pick up Island of Blades would mesh nicely.

Stalwart Battle Sorcerer gives us Sorcerer casting (with fewer spells known and spells per day) with d8+2 HD.

Tattooed Monk isn't great, but it does have some nice things: the Ocean tattoo means you never have to eat, sleep, or drink. As far as support, you can always be on watch while your party sleeps, which is nice. I like the Crane Tattoo as well, which gives you non-magical disease immunity when you first get it, poison immunity when you get any other tattoo, and immunity to aging penalties once you get your third tattoo. If you are taking Crane, take it first. If not, take Ocean and then Falcon (fear immunity and allies get save bonus vs fear). I'm of the opinion that a Monk's Tattoo (Magic of Faerūn, page 164) counts as your "next tattoo, whatever it may be", so you can get the full benefit of Crane with only 3 levels of Tattooed Monk. Most likely it doesn't matter unless you're going to be playing this character for many in-game years.

From that point on go Abjurant Champion 5. Once you can cast 2nd level Arcane spells (Abjurant Champion 2), take Ascetic Mage to switch your AC bonus from WIS to CHA.

You should have decent-enough defenses, small buffs for your allies, and the ability to cast a few spells. You'd probably be somewhere around T3 in terms of power. You even fit within the horrible multiclass rules, not that anybody uses those.