PDA

View Full Version : Anyone used Shield Master on a Sorcadin?

AHF
2018-04-08, 10:53 PM
Interested to see if anyone has used this. If you are doing a strength build and have an 8 dexterity this seems like a very nice boost to your defense against dex saves and the ability to knock an opponent prone seems like a very nice bonus action to improve your chances to hit and critical (which in turns wrecks with a nice smite). Main drawback seems to be the limited number of asi's and the likely need to take warcaster if you are running sword and board. Thanks in advance for anyone willing to share their thoughts and experiences.

Arkhios
2018-04-08, 11:07 PM
Interested to see if anyone has used this. If you are doing a strength build and have an 8 dexterity this seems like a very nice boost to your defense against dex saves and the ability to knock an opponent prone seems like a very nice bonus action to improve your chances to hit and critical (which in turns wrecks with a nice smite). Main drawback seems to be the limited number of asi's and the likely need to take warcaster if you are running sword and board. Thanks in advance for anyone willing to share their thoughts and experiences.

I think it's a perfectly workable combination. In fact even more so if you have str 16 and cha 16, and aim to increase cha to 20 asap.

Str 16 is already enough for the rest of your career. With prone targets granting advantage, you can hit them easier, and shove is much easier to get through than hitting a high AC otherwise.

PeteNutButter
2018-04-08, 11:33 PM
There are a few problems with it. First, sorcadins are very hungry for ASIs between needing help with spell concentration and needed cha and str. Second they have a good usage of bonus action already when quickening so it ends up wasted. Third you’ll definitely be needing warcaster if you plan to use S&B.

It’s not so much that it’s a bad idea, but more that it competes with better options. If you’re worried about defense against AoE, Absorb elements does half the job for a spell slot and against spells there is always counterspell.

Personally I wouldn’t consider taking shield master until I’ve already gotten my stats up and good concentration via either resilient or warcaster. The feat shines on pure str builds who lack any bonus action competition.

Vessyra
2018-04-09, 01:44 AM
One of my players is a sorcadin who rolled amazing on stats (20 dex and 18 cha after racial modifiers) and decided to take the shield master feat. He does seem to be taking it more for defence than offence, as his high AC and HP evidence need for defence and his multiple bonus actions and 8 str means that he likely won't use the bonus action shove or knock-down

Arkhios
2018-04-09, 02:34 AM
One of my players is a sorcadin who rolled amazing on stats (20 dex and 18 cha after racial modifiers) and decided to take the shield master feat. He does seem to be taking it more for defence than offence, as his high AC and HP evidence need for defence and his multiple bonus actions and 8 str means that he likely won't use the bonus action shove or knock-down

Just checking, are you aware that multiclassing paladin to and from sorcerer (both ways) requires a minimum of 13 Str by RAW? If yes, carry on. You are obviously free to houserule it however you want to. It's just a common-enough misunderstanding that I feel it's always good to check if everyone understands it. And what consequences it might have if chosen to ignore the RAW.

Davrix
2018-04-09, 05:31 AM
Its not "As good" because of quicken. Your generally wanting to use that as a sorc/pal

He's got the stats for it but I dunno I think there are better things to use like war-caster if he wants sword and board but not its not a bad thing.

I find it rather amazing for conquest but that's a different story.

AHF
2018-04-09, 07:31 AM
I haven't played at higher levels yet but I was considering for both defense and offense thinking that good bonus actions wouldn't come until mid build and would be limited in number of uses and that the dex bonus would be nice and the ability to avoid all damage on certain dex saves would be particularly nice with Paladin aura and bless or haste going. I'm pretty sure going straight warcaster and charisma ability asi would be better but was thinking this could be very workable and fun -- particularly for a 6/14 Paladin looking to emphasize smites more than straight sorcerer spellcasting.

Arkhios
2018-04-09, 07:36 AM
Its not "As good" because of quicken. Your generally wanting to use that as a sorc/pal

He's got the stats for it but I dunno I think there are better things to use like war-caster if he wants sword and board but not its not a bad thing.

I find it rather amazing for conquest but that's a different story.
War Caster isn't just for that advantage on concentration, nor the spell as an opportunity. It also removes the need to have your hands free to cast certain spells, which is very valuable for many spellcasters.

I haven't played at higher levels yet but I was considering for both defense and offense thinking that good bonus actions wouldn't come until mid build and would be limited in number of uses and that the dex bonus would be nice and the ability to avoid all damage on certain dex saves would be particularly nice with Paladin aura and bless or haste going. I'm pretty sure going straight warcaster and charisma ability asi would be better but was thinking this could be very workable and fun -- particularly for a 6/14 Paladin looking to emphasize smites more than straight sorcerer spellcasting.

Do note, however, that if you start as a paladin, you can't take War Caster until at 4th level, because (if you were a v.human), at 1st paladin level you don't have spellcasting at all.

AHF
2018-04-10, 07:59 AM
With warcaster, can a Paladin using symbol shield get around the weapon in hand by sheathing weapon (object interaction) and then casting spell and the following round drawing weapon prior to attacking? Or do all in one round to keep AOO intact by dropping weapon (free action), then casting spell and then picking up the weapon (object interaction)?

Obviously gives none of the concentration advantage or reaction but seems like that would get you most of the benefit of being able to cast while holding board and sword.

1Pirate
2018-04-10, 01:01 PM
With warcaster, can a Paladin using symbol shield get around the weapon in hand by sheathing weapon (object interaction) and then casting spell and the following round drawing weapon prior to attacking? Or do all in one round to keep AOO intact by dropping weapon (free action), then casting spell and then picking up the weapon (object interaction)?

Obviously gives none of the concentration advantage or reaction but seems like that would get you most of the benefit of being able to cast while holding board and sword.

Did you mean to say "Without warcaster"? Because with warcaster you don't need to do any of that, you can perform somatic components weapons in your hands.

Without warcaster, it might be up to your DM if you can drop and pickup on the same turn. That being said, a lot of Paladin spells can be cast with your shield(focus) in hand.