PDA

View Full Version : Homebrewed items for Wizard and Paladin...

DeShurland
2018-04-09, 06:09 AM
Hi

Are these homebrewed items OP for two first time players. One Paladin & One Wizard, both level 2. Playing LMoP, and then maybe HotDQ. The below ideas could be found in the Redbrand hideout, or when they get to level 3. The Paladin might get his from that Darran guy etc.

Wizard. Character is from starter set, and is the Wiz who wants to gain knowledge. To that end I was thinking of giving him a warlock ring which he might find along with a book, the ring gives him Eldritch Blast, Armor of Agathys, Find Familiar or Arms of Hadar. 1d4 to determine the spell. Every two levels I might increase the spells available as he studies this book. The spells themselves are limited in terms of charges, say 1 use per day, but not requiring a spell slot to cast.

Paladin. He doesn't have a backstory per say so I want to homebrew either a gauntlet or helmet associated with Bahamut. Basically the infinity gauntlet, so he has to quest around and finds stones, maybe 5 in total (i know Bahamut had 7 wyrms but depends on the total length of session etc). I was thinking the following enhancements; Darkvision (only character without it in party), Draconic language, "Metallic" Dragon Breath (1d4 to determine type?), Draconic resistance (Same type as Dragon Breath) Some form of Draconic communication - advantage against being charmed by dragons, +X to communication skills (intimidation etc) when talking to dragons.

Appreciate any input.

Thanks

DarkKnightJin
2018-04-09, 08:29 AM
Hi

Are these homebrewed items OP for two first time players. One Paladin & One Wizard, both level 2. Playing LMoP, and then maybe HotDQ. The below ideas could be found in the Redbrand hideout, or when they get to level 3. The Paladin might get his from that Darran guy etc.

Wizard. Character is from starter set, and is the Wiz who wants to gain knowledge. To that end I was thinking of giving him a warlock ring which he might find along with a book, the ring gives him Eldritch Blast, Armor of Agathys, Find Familiar or Arms of Hadar. 1d4 to determine the spell. Every two levels I might increase the spells available as he studies this book. The spells themselves are limited in terms of charges, say 1 use per day, but not requiring a spell slot to cast.

Paladin. He doesn't have a backstory per say so I want to homebrew either a gauntlet or helmet associated with Bahamut. Basically the infinity gauntlet, so he has to quest around and finds stones, maybe 5 in total (i know Bahamut had 7 wyrms but depends on the total length of session etc). I was thinking the following enhancements; Darkvision (only character without it in party), Draconic language, "Metallic" Dragon Breath (1d4 to determine type?), Draconic resistance (Same type as Dragon Breath) Some form of Draconic communication - advantage against being charmed by dragons, +X to communication skills (intimidation etc) when talking to dragons.

Appreciate any input.

Thanks

Would the Wizard get Eldritch Blast as a Cantrip known? Or only be able to cast it while they have the ring? Oh, and a cantrip with limited casts per day is a bit of a paradox. The rest of the spells should be alright with a 1/day cast.

As for the Paladin. Probably go with the helmet, unless you wanna make it a pair of gauntlets.
Perhaps have 4 'Dragon Icons' for him to find, with Darkvision as the basic boost for having them.
Then you can improve the gauntlets with a + to Str or Cha(your choice), the Draconic language and Advantage on social ability checks with Draconic creatures, a Breath Weapon and Resistance to that damage type(your pick to which type). And finally, with the 4th and final icon in place on the gauntlets:
A Flight Speed of.. probably 30ft. Perhaps grant him Draconic wings from his back for a badass factor.

It's all your fiat on when he can get a new icon to put on his gauntlets, so it shouldn't be OP.

DeShurland
2018-04-09, 09:26 AM
Would the Wizard get Eldritch Blast as a Cantrip known? Or only be able to cast it while they have the ring? Oh, and a cantrip with limited casts per day is a bit of a paradox. The rest of the spells should be alright with a 1/day cast.

As for the Paladin. Probably go with the helmet, unless you wanna make it a pair of gauntlets.
Perhaps have 4 'Dragon Icons' for him to find, with Darkvision as the basic boost for having them.
Then you can improve the gauntlets with a + to Str or Cha(your choice), the Draconic language and Advantage on social ability checks with Draconic creatures, a Breath Weapon and Resistance to that damage type(your pick to which type). And finally, with the 4th and final icon in place on the gauntlets:
A Flight Speed of.. probably 30ft. Perhaps grant him Draconic wings from his back for a badass factor.

It's all your fiat on when he can get a new icon to put on his gauntlets, so it shouldn't be OP.

I know, I might make it a 2d10, with 1 beam or a 1d10 with 2 beams. or allow agonising blast/ push to be used with it. give some umph as it is a cantrip, but not too much, when compared to other spells.

I like the flying paladin. He will appreciate flying draconic wings. Random Q, is there an expected level for flying abilities? I will probably go for the helmet. some great input, Thanks for that!

DarkKnightJin
2018-04-09, 10:54 AM
I know, I might make it a 2d10, with 1 beam or a 1d10 with 2 beams. or allow agonising blast/ push to be used with it. give some umph as it is a cantrip, but not too much, when compared to other spells.

I like the flying paladin. He will appreciate flying draconic wings. Random Q, is there an expected level for flying abilities? I will probably go for the helmet. some great input, Thanks for that!

Well, Fly the spell becomes available at 5th level caster for most. 14 is when Draconic or Divine Soul Sorcerer gets their at-will Flight. 18 for Storm Sorcerer.

So, somewhere past 12th level would be alright to let him fain the flight.

DeShurland
2018-04-10, 05:35 AM
Well, Fly the spell becomes available at 5th level caster for most. 14 is when Draconic or Divine Soul Sorcerer gets their at-will Flight. 18 for Storm Sorcerer.

So, somewhere past 12th level would be alright to let him fain the flight.

Cool, thanks for that. I suspect something along the lines of "years of devotion and wearing the helmet has given you the power of flight" will be sufficient.

Thanks for the input.