PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Items to boost (chromatic) dragonslaying ability?

Pinjata
2018-04-09, 08:50 AM
Hey guys,

At certain point in campaign, my players have a chance of getting an array of items, built specifically to slay chromatic dragons. Are there any up to Very Rare items, you cound recommend for this task? I'd also be willing to re-stat some existing items in order to make them "dragonslaying". Say an item has advantage save vs. demons. I'd just remove "demons" with "dragons" and use them.

Got any ideas?

thanks

Unoriginal
2018-04-09, 11:06 AM
Arrows of Dragon Slaying, for example?

Pinjata
2018-04-09, 11:49 AM
Good example. I'd like to have something on hand for casters, melees and gishes.

hymer
2018-04-09, 12:45 PM
Rings of Evasion and Resistance could be very useful to a dragon slayer.

Moradin
2018-04-10, 03:51 AM
Hey guys,

At certain point in campaign, my players have a chance of getting an array of items, built specifically to slay chromatic dragons. Are there any up to Very Rare items, you cound recommend for this task? I'd also be willing to re-stat some existing items in order to make them "dragonslaying". Say an item has advantage save vs. demons. I'd just remove "demons" with "dragons" and use them.

Got any ideas?

thanks

In the sandbox adventure Lost Mines of Phandelver there's a +1 Breastplate called Dragonguard (https://the-lost-mine-of-phandelver-9.obsidianportal.com/wiki_pages/dragonguard).
Also, in the DMG a sword is described, by the name of Dragon slayer (https://roll20.net/compendium/dnd5e/Dragon%20Slayer#content). To be honest, I'd drop the +1 as I feel it would be very powerful even without it.

Pinjata
2018-04-11, 04:20 AM
Awesome. Thank you.

ErHo
2018-04-11, 09:50 AM
Check out the Dragonlance discussion:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?554873-Dragonlance&p=22964110#post22964110

Asmotherion
2018-04-11, 10:05 AM
Cutlery of the Dragonslayer; Practically gigantic cutlary used as weapons, showing the Dragon that you were considerate enough to bring it Utencils for the Dinner it's going to make of you, thus, as a mark of grattitude, he may "humor you", by not going all out, and "play with it's food" a bit, potentially giving you a critical moment to turn the... table :P

th3g0dc0mp13x
2018-04-11, 02:50 PM
Good example. I'd like to have something on hand for casters, melees and gishes.

This sounds like fun. honestly a lot of these are going to be super overpowered.

Things anyone will appreciate.

Ring of elemental resistance~on a short rest you can choose one element that you are resistant to.
Cube of Force-this will be amazing against a dragon's breath.
Ring of evasion-Oh you failed your dex save against dragon breath, Nah it's all good.
Ring of free action-this is more important to your melee teammates, however any ranged character will appreciate not being hindered by rough terrain especially when trying to get to the point where the entire party doesn't get hit by breath attacks.

Melee party members, Including Gishes

Boots of flying-hey that dragon that's 40 feet in the air, you can actually hit him with your sword now.
dragon slayer weapons- pretty self explanatory, nullifies magic weapon resistance and also deals extra damage.
cloak of mist or mountebank-being able to close the distance matters. (if you went with the misty step option i would give it 3 charges recharging at dawn or something like that.)
Ring of spell storing-have the wizard cast absorb elements, haste, earthbind, tasha's hideous laughter. (anything to make you more effective or burn through it's legendary resistances.)

Casters- there is very little here that is in the DMG outside of spell resistance or rings of evasion and things of that nature so I've come up with a few objects that I think would be useful

Wand of dragon slaying-this wand adds a +x to your spell attacks and your spell DC when used against Dragons.
Cloak of elemental absorption-This cloak absorbs up to half of one elemental attack, when you next cast a spell half of the damage that was absorbed is added to the spells damage as force damage.
Staff of failing- this staff has 3 charges you may use a (select desired action type) to cause a creature you select to have disadvantage on their next saving throw (you could also specify a certain type of saving throw if you wanted to reduce the effectiveness of this.)
Slippers of spider climbing-hey now i can get further away from everyone in a different direction making it easier for everyone to spread out.

Sigreid
2018-04-11, 03:10 PM
Henchmen serving as crews for well spaced ballista.