PDA

View Full Version : Three races for my homebrew setting

AmadeusWindfall
2007-09-01, 11:50 AM
I've been working on my own campaign setting recently (not the same silly one I mentioned in my last thread), and I want to know if three races I created are balanced for LA +0. The first is designed to be one of the magic-oriented races after I removed elves (they're in a completely different part of the world), the second is because I wanted an alchemist race since I plan on alchemy being significant in the world, and the third was because I wanted to try and make an Undead equivalent of Warforged (mechanics-wise).

Children of Medusa
About the Children of Medusa: Eons ago, as the stories say, there was a mysterious sorceress called Medusa, discoverer of some of the first mortal magic. She had venomous snakes for hair, and could turn all that she gazed at into stone. Feared across the land, she worried that there would be none to continue her legacy. Using her spells, she created herself five children, and though they resembled her they had little of her natural power.
Today, their descendents, known as the Children of Medusa, live amongst humans, and to this day still have natural talent for magic. A Child of Medusa can interbreed with humans and halflings, and such unions will always produce a Child of Medusa.
Common Base Classes: Sorcerer, Warmage, Cleric, Hexblade, Fighter.
Common Prestige Classes: Animal (Snake) Lord, Wild Mage, Assassin, Archmage, Mystic Theurge.

Child of Medusa Racial Stats

Medium: As Medium creatures, Children of Medusa have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
Child of Medusa base land speed is 30 feet.
Darkvision: Children of Medusa can see in the dark up to 60 feet. Darkvision is black and white only, but it is otherwise like normal sight, and Children of Medusa can function just fine with no light at all.
+2 racial bonus on saving throws against poison.
+2 racial bonus on Spellcraft checks.
Natural Weapons: Children of Medusa have two primary bite attacks that deal 1d2 points of piercing damage plus Strength bonus. The snakes that compose a Child of Medusa’s hair can strike out at their enemies.
Automatic Languages: Common. Bonus Languages: Dwarven, Gnome, Goblin, Halfling, Terran, and Sylvan.
Spell-Like Abilities – Colour Spray 1/day. Caster level 1st.Rather than a spray of colours from the hand, this medusan ability is a grey beam fired from their eyes, and is believed to be a heavily diluted version of Medusa’s stone gaze.

Gremlins
About the Gremlins: Possibly the strangest citizens of the Lands of Blood, the gremlins are the last surviving intelligent species native to the Lands of Blood. They are in body little more than simple primates, weak and small, but their minds are some of the greatest in the Lands of Blood. The gremlins are master inventors, as well as being the pioneers of alchemy, and it was their alchemical artillery that helped turn the tides in the War of Banishment. Even now, few seem to have better alchemical skills than the gremlins, and they were inventors of the Everburning Engine that is used to power the trains. Gremlins are also renowned for their ability to dismantle things, and many a tale tells of greedy men who created huge and mighty traps to stop people from getting what they saw unrightfully as theirs, only for it to be sabotaged by gremlins.
Common Base Classes: Rogue, Scout, Wizard, Warlock.
Common Prestige Classes: Maester, Effigy Master, Geometer, Dungeon Delver, Exemplar, Eldritch Theurge, Mystic Theurge.

Gremlin Racial Traits

+2 Intelligence, -4 Constitution.
Magical Beast: Gremlins are not subject to spells or effects that affect humanoids only, such as charm person or dominate person.
Small: As a Small creature, a gremlin gains a +1 size bonus to Armour Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks, but he uses smaller weapons than humans use, and his lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters of those of a Medium character.
Gremlin base land speed is 20 feet.
Slight Build: The physical stature of gremlins lets them function in many ways as if they were one size category smaller. Whenever a gremlin is subject to a size modifier or special size modifier for an opposed check (such as Hide), the gremlin is treated as one size smaller if doing so is advantageous to the character. A gremlin is also considered to be one size smaller when "squeezing" through a restrictive space. A gremlin can use weapons designed for a creature one size smaller without penalty. However, the space and reach of a gremlin remain those of a creature of their actual size. The benefits of this racial trait stack with the effects of powers, abilities, and spells that change the subject's size category.
Low-Light Vision: A gremlin can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. He retains the ability to distinguish colour and detail under these conditions.
+2 racial bonus on Craft (Alchemy) and Disable Device checks.
Automatic Languages: Common and Sylvan. Bonus Languages: Dwarven, Gnome, Goblin and Halfling.

Necrites
About the Necrites: In the Lands of Blood, the death of children is common amongst the poorer people. Some of them, however, are born in with innate magic power, and while this power does not normally manifest until puberty, there are times when it will suddenly burst into action as the child dies, filling their body with what could be best described as half-life. These people, known as necrites, resemble undead in many ways, but are not quite the same, and still show qualities of living things in many ways- for example, necrites can reproduce biologically with one another, and they still have the free-thinking living mind of a living creature. They are treated differently from family to family – some see it as a miracle that their child has survived, whereas others shun them, believe that the necrite is nothing more than a monster after their resurrection. While necrites have duller senses than fully living creatures, their body’s significantly different biology makes them tougher than many living creatures.
Common Classes: Due to their multiracial origins, there are no classes that are common amongst necrites. However, they are almost never sorcerers, as most lose their magical abilities during their rebirth.

Necrite Racial Traits

+2 Constitution, -2 Wisdom
Necrite base land speed is 30 feet.
Medium: As Medium creatures, necrites have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
Undead: Necrites are not subject to spells or effects that affect humanoids only, such as charm person or dominate person.
Half-Dead Subtype: Necrites are neither fully undead nor fully living, and as a result, exhibit the following qualities rather than those of the Undead type:

Has a constitution score.
Immune to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, stunning, and disease.
Healed by positive energy and harmed by negative energy - this also means that they are turned by Rebuke Undead and rebuked by Turn Undead.
Affected by effects that only affect living creatures.
Does not naturally heal.
At 0 hp, is disabled (as usual). From –1 to –9 hp, is inert (i.e., unconscious, but stable)
Use Constitution for Concentration checks.
Does not eat, sleep, or breathe.

Darkvision: Necrites can see in the dark up to 60 feet. Darkvision is black and white only, but it is otherwise like normal sight, and Necrites can function just fine with no light at all.
+2 turn resistance.
Automatic Languages: Common.
Bonus Languages: Dwarven, Gnome, Goblin, Halfling.

ArmorArmadillo
2007-09-01, 02:20 PM
Given the Medusa Children Color Spray ability and 2 primary attacks, I'd say LA 1 (on the cusp of LA 0), you might want to reduce it in power. It's also a wonky spell like ability because it is a Win Button at low levels and a nothing at medium to high levels.

Gremlins look good.

Necrite seem to definitely be LA 1 considering their high number of immunities;
I'm wondering if it wouldn't make more sense for them to be Humanoids with the "Half-Dead" subtype, considering the number of things that Half-Dead changes from the Undead Type; it seems like the only way in which they are undead is when dealing with spells affecting types (which is sort of excessively metagame oriented.)

SilverClawShift
2007-09-01, 02:23 PM
The necrite is interesting. It's the same general concept as the Wastelings from my groups homebrew campaign setting, but taken in a different direction. Interesting to see what destinations people will reach from the same starting point.

AmadeusWindfall
2007-09-01, 04:18 PM
Are these changes enough to balance them? I'm thinking that I might change Necrites to being healed by positive energy and harmed by negative, but even if I allow Clerics of any alignment to choose between the two it makes things awkward, so I'm not sure.

Children of Medusa

Medium: As Medium creatures, Children of Medusa have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
Child of Medusa base land speed is 30 feet.
Darkvision: Children of Medusa can see in the dark up to 60 feet. Darkvision is black and white only, but it is otherwise like normal sight, and Children of Medusa can function just fine with no light at all.
+2 racial bonus on saving throws against poison.
+2 racial bonus on Spellcraft checks.
Natural Weapons: Children of Medusa have a secondary bite attack that deal 1d2 points of piercing damage plus half Strength bonus. The snakes that compose a Child of Medusa’s hair can strike out at their enemies, and while their flailing is unlikely to do much, there is a chance of it making contact.
Automatic Languages: Common. Bonus Languages: Dwarven, Gnome, Goblin, Halfling, Terran, and Sylvan.
Spell-Like Abilities – Flare 1/day. Caster level 1st.Rather than a vivid flash of light, this magical ability is a grey beam fired from the eyes, and is believed to be a heavily diluted version of Medusa’s stone gaze.

Necrites

+2 Constitution, -4 Wisdom
Necrite base land speed is 30 feet.
Medium: As Medium creatures, necrites have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
Half-Dead Subtype: Necrites are not quite alive, and as such they exhibit the following qualities of the Undead type:

Immune to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, stunning, and disease.
Does not naturally heal.
At 0 hp, is disabled (as usual). From –1 to –9 hp, is inert (i.e., unconscious, but stable)
Does not eat, sleep, or breathe.

Darkvision: Necrites can see in the dark up to 60 feet. Darkvision is black and white only, but it is otherwise like normal sight, and Necrites can function just fine with no light at all.
Automatic Languages: Common.
Bonus Languages: Dwarven, Gnome, Goblin, Halfling.

ArmorArmadillo
2007-09-01, 07:00 PM
I think they're really good; I'd go ahead and reduce the penalty on wisdom to -2 for Necrites;Reducing a stat too much is a wonky balance, because it affects different classes so differently. I think the whole of the immunities are still pretty strong, but it balances out better; I might drop stunning or paralysis...
There are certain traits which are of such power, that to have sufficient negatives to balance it, the race will end up very skewed.

As for the Medusites, the flare is...unimpressive. Any 1/day SLA should be kind of a "Trump card", something flashy and such...
...I know it seems like I'm contradicting what I said earlier...but I'm not, I don't think that a 1/day SLA is the right path, you might do Flare 3/day.
You may want to ditch SLAs altogether, try simply giving the Medusite a small gaze attack; 15 ft. Cone as a standard action, -1 on attacks...it isn't huge enough to ever be unbalancing, but it feels more like a steady, inherent ability.

Racial SLAs tend to be either unimpressive, excessively swingy, or overpowerd.

Also, you may consider a more "Common" name for the Children of the Medusa, as it seems more like an honorific title, something like "Medusite" or "Medukin"

Deesix
2007-09-01, 07:18 PM
Daze might be more appropriate, as it stops action for a turn and is still a 0th level spell.