PDA

View Full Version : Is banishment worth a 10th level spell steal?

dnd2016
2018-04-09, 10:01 AM
Lore Bard reaching 10th level soon. Do you think banishment is worth one of my spell steals? I already have hold monster and polymorph.

Willie the Duck
2018-04-09, 10:31 AM
You mean the bardic class feature Magic Secrets (for your presumably Lore Bard)? It is a great spell. You already have one monster shut-down (along with Stinking Cloud and Hypnotic Pattern, if you chose those from the bard spell list). I guess it depends on your party and what else they need. Are there other support casters or the like in the party?

Kyrinthic
2018-04-09, 11:02 AM
The spell is probably the best single target monster control spell for its level. But it is also very common. Sorcerer/wizard/warlock get this as well as Cleric/paladin. There is likely someone else that can do this spell in your party. That doesn't mean it isn't a good pick, but you should factor it in.

Hold monster is a great spell, but it gives saves every round. Polymorph is an even better spell because it can be used for more than crowd control, but works off a generally more common save.

You can safely not take it and rely on your existing spells for the most part, and get spells that give more unique new options, but its not a terrible pick, especially if you are dealing with a lot of extra-planar threats, which do tend to become more common at higher levels.

MrStabby
2018-04-09, 11:40 AM
Banishment is good. One of the best control spells in the game. You could also pick wall of force, which in my opinion s even better.

dnd2016
2018-04-09, 05:57 PM
Yes we do have a sorcerer in our group and he could take it. I do have hypnotic pattern also, not stinking Cloud though. I do love wall of force, but was considering Bigby's hand for utility and fun. I kind of don't want to take two 5th level spells because of the limited spell slot. Our sorcerer has wall of stone also, and our Druid could prepare it if needed

MaxWilson
2018-04-09, 06:01 PM
Lore Bard reaching 10th level soon. Do you think banishment is worth one of my spell steals? I already have hold monster and polymorph.

No, I don't. It's covering a niche you already have covered. (Especially if you have Fear as one of your spells too, since it's on the bard list and it's great.) It's a concentration-based single-target disabling spell. The only real advantage to Banishment is that it's a Cha save instead of a Wis save, but monsters that have strong Wis saves tend to also have strong Cha saves so you'd be unlikely to see much difference.

Pick something new and different that scales your capabilities out in a new direction, like (for example) Conjure Animals, Wall of Force, Counterspell, Spiritual Hammer, or Revivify.

dnd2016
2018-04-09, 06:15 PM
No, I don't. It's covering a niche you already have covered. (Especially if you have Fear as one of your spells too, since it's on the bard list and it's great.) It's a concentration-based single-target disabling spell. The only real advantage to Banishment is that it's a Cha save instead of a Wis save, but monsters that have strong Wis saves tend to also have strong Cha saves so you'd be unlikely to see much difference.

Pick something new and different that scales your capabilities out in a new direction, like (for example) Conjure Animals, Wall of Force, Counterspell, Spiritual Hammer, or Revivify.

Lol, I have fear, conjure animals and counterspell too. And for what it's worth I'll be picking up green flame blade at 10th level as a bonus.

Paladin has revivify

MaxWilson
2018-04-09, 06:20 PM
Lol, I have fear, conjure animals and counterspell too. And for what it's worth I'll be picking up green flame blade at 10th level as a bonus.

Paladin has revivify

If I were in your place, I'd probably skip over Spiritual Hammer (damage is pretty weak in 5E) and pick up a low-level physical control spell like Web that makes your allies stronger. But Spiritual Hammer is a nice bonus-action no-concentration spell if you're not as unimpressed as I am with damage.

dnd2016
2018-04-09, 07:51 PM
Ha, have wand of web too