PDA

View Full Version : book of shadow, when can you learn it

Belier
2018-04-09, 11:14 AM
The phb states you can learn invocations as soon as you meet the prerequesite, howerver, when you get the prerequesite you can't learn a new invocation before reaching level 5.

Can we forgo one invocation at level 2 so that we can learn book of shadow at level 3 or is it only possible to learn it at level 5 when you get one more invocation to learn.

I don't see anywhere stating that I have to learn 2 invocation at level 2 even if I can.

Thank you

Aett_Thorn
2018-04-09, 11:17 AM
From the PHB:

In your study of occult lore, you have unearthed eldritch invocations, fragments of forbidden knowledge that imbue you with an abiding magical ability. At 2nd level, you gain two eldritch invocations of your choice. Your invocation options are detailed at the end of the class description. When you gain certain warlock levels, you gain additional invocations of your choice, as shown in the Invocations Known column of the Warlock table. Additionally, when you gain a level in this class, you can choose one of the invocations you know and replace it with another invocation that you could learn at that level.

Bolded part is the relevant part.

Edit -> So, just to be clear, you can take 2 invocations at level 2, and then switch one out for Book of Shadows at level 3.

DarkKnightJin
2018-04-09, 11:18 AM
You could learn it at 3rd by swapping out one of the 2 Invocations you have. Of course, this means you'd lose the 2nd Invocation you had before. It's a balancing act of what you want from the class feature.

A Fat Dragon
2018-04-09, 11:18 AM
That isn’t in RAW, but it doesn’t seem too add or take away power. It’d probably be something you’d have to talk with your DM about, as it’d really be their choice on whether to allow this or not.

Edit: Got ninja’d. Yeah, what above said.

Belier
2018-04-09, 11:25 AM
Additionally, when you gain a level in this class, you can choose one of the invocations you know and replace it with another invocation that you could learn at that level.

Thank you, how did I miss that. This is the answer I was looking for.