PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Exploding from too many temp HP?

InterstellarPro
2018-04-09, 02:00 PM
So, if a creature visits the positive energy plane, they may build up so much positive energy that they explode in a "riot of energy" if they fail a fort save after gaining a number of temp HP greater than their normal max HP. Is this limited only to Positive-Dominant planes? Or can it happen if a low-con psion uses Vigor too vigorously on the Material plane?

Celestia
2018-04-09, 02:04 PM
As far as I know, this is unique to the positive energy plane.

Nifft
2018-04-09, 02:07 PM
So, if a creature visits the positive energy plane, they may build up so much positive energy that they explode in a "riot of energy" if they fail a fort save after gaining a number of temp HP greater than their normal max HP. Is this limited only to Positive-Dominant planes? Or can it happen if a low-con psion uses Vigor too vigorously on the Material plane?

It's specifically a planar hazard.

It's easy to get more temp HP than your normal max HP, especially for a low-Con character. There's no negative consequence for doing so normally.

Goaty14
2018-04-09, 02:07 PM
As far as I know, this is unique to the positive energy plane.

^It's a planar trait, thus, it will only be activated by things that manipulate planar traits, such as certain monsters, planar bubble, and planar shepherds.

InterstellarPro
2018-04-09, 02:14 PM
I remember reading where someone mentioned an animal that would cause characters to gain temp hp and explode, but I cannot seem to find it. Does anyone know what I am talking about, by any chance?

Edit: Found what was mentioned. The vivacious template from the Planar Handbook.

The Viscount
2018-04-09, 03:42 PM
This effect is similarly found in the Glimmerskin from MM2, who also hails from the Positive Energy Plane.

Necroticplague
2018-04-09, 06:04 PM
This effect is similarly found in the Glimmerskin from MM2, who also hails from the Positive Energy Plane.

IIRC, Vivacious creatures (also native to the PEP) can do something similar.

Elkad
2018-04-09, 11:27 PM
It's easy to get more temp HP than your normal max HP, especially for a low-Con character. There's no negative consequence for doing so normally.

This. My Ardent has 33hp at 10th level. I usually put Vigor on in 20hp chunks and trust to being fast(75' base, 125' Haste+Xeph Burst) to work the edges of the fight, but if we meet a dragon or something, I put the whole 50 on.

ShurikVch
2018-04-10, 04:34 AM
I remember reading where someone mentioned an animal that would cause characters to gain temp hp and explode, but I cannot seem to find it. Does anyone know what I am talking about, by any chance?Dunno about Animal, but Thoon Infiltrator is able to apply Thoon Thrall template to Humanoids; Thoon Thrall gets Overdrive Healing (Su) (which works kinda like a PEP effect), and Immolate SA (which is PE-induced explosion for 3d6 damage in 10' radius, +1d6 for every Thoon Thrall or Thoon Infiltrator withing 30')