PDA

View Full Version : Card games in D&D

tomato
2018-04-09, 04:28 PM
Greetings,

I'm making a card shark character, and would like to present my DM a list of card games that her game can feature for my character to be familiar with for the purpose of role-playing gambling. I've seen some people actually just straight up play poker, but I'm trying to condense a 2-4 hour session of card games to a few roles. Does anyone have any games they use for their settings?

Kane0
2018-04-09, 04:37 PM
Thirteen and Big Two are fairly quick alternatives to poker.

MrStabby
2018-04-09, 04:41 PM
I think it is worth having a variety so different stats are covered:

Snap/Spit for dexterity
Poker for charisma/wisdom
Pelmanism/bridge for int

Anonymouswizard
2018-04-09, 06:51 PM
It depends on how you want to do it. Assuming you're just rolling dice to see how the characters do Poker would be weighted towards Charisma (to bluff and keep a straight face) and Wisdom (to read the other players) in a single round, but the more rounds are played the more intelligence and statistical analysis becomes king (the degree depends on the variety, I personally dislike Texas Hold'em even though it's incredibly popular because of the multi-round betting and prefer varieties where going all in on a high card or pair can be a legitimate move).

If you actually want to play card games (on or off motorcycles) then you'll want something over in a round or two, and not something like Knockout Whist. At which point just dealing a player X cards (maybe modified by rolls) and the winner being the one who can create the best poker hand becomes a legitimate method of settling it (bonus: you can use the ranking of hands to work out how well everybody does).

Unoriginal
2018-04-09, 07:18 PM
Greetings,

I'm making a card shark character, and would like to present my DM a list of card games that her game can feature for my character to be familiar with for the purpose of role-playing gambling. I've seen some people actually just straight up play poker, but I'm trying to condense a 2-4 hour session of card games to a few roles. Does anyone have any games they use for their settings?

GAMBLING
Games of chance are a way to make a fortune—and perhaps a better way to lose one. Resources. This activity requires one workweek ofeffort plus a stake of at least 10 gp, to a maximum of 1,000 gp or more, as you see fit. Resolution The character must make a series of checks, with a DC determined at random based on the quality of the competition that the character runs into. Part of the risk of gambling is that one never knows who might end up sitting across the table. The character makes three checks: Wisdom (Insight), Charisma (Deception), and Charisma (Intimidation). If the character has proficiency with an appropriate gaming set, that tool proficiency can replace the relevant skill in any of the checks. The DC for each of the checks is 5 + 2d10; generate a separate DC for each one. Consult the Gambling Results table to see how the character did.

From the Xanathar's.

Actually playing the card games would add a lot of work, take away time from the rest of the game, and will probably end feeling not satisfying as it's hard to emulate people who are very good at card games when (presumably) neither your nor your DM are professional players in this domain.

LtPowers
2018-04-09, 08:21 PM
I'm making a card shark character,

Then you should know that it's "card sharp", not "shark".

Powers &8^]

Kane0
2018-04-09, 11:00 PM
Well, if you're British.

Arkhios
2018-04-09, 11:18 PM
Greetings,

I'd like to recommend checking out Three Dragon Ante (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-Dragon_Ante). It's intended as a game in its own right or as an element in a role-playing campaign, and appears in some versions of Dungeons and Dragons as a game played by the wealthy for money.

I've played it and it was fun. Really, I'm not joking. Check it out.

Jrocc
2018-04-10, 05:32 AM
I love the idea of playing cards in a dnd sesh! I would recommend using Italian cards if you want to feel that little bit more cultured. Briscola and Scopa are two popular games that can be quick (once you finally figure out the rules). Scopa is easier to learn and has that valuable settebello, the seven of coins, which could be used as flavour for something highly valuable

Cespenar
2018-04-10, 07:42 AM
Blackjack should be pretty easy to set up as well.

Dudewithknives
2018-04-10, 08:10 AM
It is from Pathfinder but get a Harrow deck.

Use it for predicting the future, playing card games, or if your GM lets you, ask to use it as an arcane focus. You literally deal cards to cast spells.
If you play a wizard, you can even use it as your spell book and mem spells in the morning by dealing yourself hands of cards.
I even flavored the ranged spells that I threw the cards with the spells in them at people, and touch spells were more like Taoist paper talismans I would stick to people to cast touch spells.