PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Monk Archetype: Way of the Dragonslayer[PEACH]

Llama513
2018-04-09, 10:35 PM
This archetype is based on the dragon slayer magic from the anime Fairytail, I based aspects of the archetype on the sun soul monk, but think I got a good start for what I am going for, I worry that it may be a tad strong for most of the elements, but that the steel dragon slayer option may lag behind the others.

http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/HyqSVsYiM

Devour Element:

At 3rd level, when you take this archeype you are able to restore your strength by eating elemental energy. Choose an elemental energy from Fire, Ice, Lightning, Acid, Poison, or Steel. Once chosen you can not change your elemental energy. You are able to eat your element to refuel your energy. When you are hit by a spell or other magical effect (such as a dragons breath) that deals the damage type associated with your element you can regain a number of ki points equal to the level of the spell, up to half your monk level rounded down, on your next turn by using a bonus action. You still take full damage from the spell.

Steel does not have an associated damage type, instead your hit point maximum increases by 3 and increases by 1 again whenever you gain a level in this class and you restore ki by eating 1 lb of steel per ki point restored, doing so takes a bonus action and you can only eat a number of pounds equal to half your monk level rounded down at one time.

You also are able to eat mundane sources of your element for nourishment, a 5 foot square area of your element is enought to fuel you for 24 hours, if you are a steel dragon slayer 1 lb of steel has the same affect.

Dragon's Claw:

At 3rd level, you are able to channel your elemental energy into your unarmed strikes. When you make an unarmed strike you can deal the damage associated with your element instead. If you are a steel dragon slayer, your unarmed strikes gain a reach of 15 feet and you can choose to deal piercing or slashing damage instead of bludgeoning as you shape your arm into a blade of steel.

Dragon's Roar:

At 6th level, you can unleashed a breath attack just as a dragon. After you take the attack action as a bonus action you can spend 2 ki points to unleash a blast of elemental energy. Each creature in a 15-foot cone in front of you must make a Dexterity saving throw. A creature takes 3d6 damage of the type associated with your element on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one. If you are a steel dragon slayer your breath deals slashing damage. You can spend additional ki up to half your monk level rounded down, you deal an additional 1d6 for each ki point spent above 2.

Elemental Combination:

At 11th level, you have learned to draw energy from a second elemental energy and combine it with your own. Choose a second elemental energy, once chosen this cannot be changed. You are able to gain power from eating this element, but not in the same way as your original element. Your secondary element does not fuel you, it enhances you. As a bonus action you can spend 3 ki points to activate this ability. You can only activate this ability on your next turn after being hit by a spell that deals the damage associated with your element. If you chose steel as your secondary element you must instead consume 1 lb of steel as part of the bonus action. For the next minute you gain the following benefits:

Your unarmed strikes deal an additional die of damage, of the damage type associated with your secondary element, if you chose steel as your secondary element your unarmed strikes have 15 feet of reach.
The damage die from your Dragon's Roar becomes d8s, and the damage is split in half between the two associated damage types, if the number of dice is uneven, the larger half is your original elements damage.
While using this power you also gain resistance to the damage type of your secondary element.

At 17th level, you choose another element to use this ability with, you can only have one secondary element active at a time.

You also gain resistance to the damage type associated with your original element. If you are a steel dragon slayer you gain resistance to bludgeoning damage.

Dragon King Mode:

At 17th level, you have mastered the dragon slayer style and have unlocked its full power. As a bonus action you can enter Dragon King Mode. When you do so your body grows dragon like scales as your take on the power of a dragon. For the next minute you gain the following benefits:

Your unarmed strikes deal 2d12
Your Dragon's Roar Feature, uses d12s as its damage die
You can use the base line Dragon's Roar for free
Your movement speed increases by 10 feet
You gain a fly speed equal to you walking speed, but you must end your movement on the ground

You can only use this ability once per day. You can not activate this feature if you are already using your Elemental Combination feature, and you may not activate your Elemental Combination feature if you are using this feature.

You also gain immunity to the damage type associated with your original element.

Llama513
2018-04-10, 12:43 PM
I'm most iffy about the Elemental combination feature and its cost, as well as if I should do more for the steel option

clash
2018-04-10, 02:18 PM
I would drop the steel option entirely. It just seems fiddly overall.

Devour element is weird. I dont know where you are finding lightning just laying around to eat or how these elements can be classified into shapes. I would drop the eating part and just have the damage effect.

Dragons claw seems fine

Dragons roar: Steel resistance is way too powerful I would drop the resistance entirely and instead copy the sun soul monk ability to use it as a bonus action when you take the attack action. Also why not "Dragons Breath"?

Elemental Combination: Is very fiddly. I would put elemental resistance here and increase your breath to use d8s.

Dragon King
Keep fly speed, grant immunity to selected element, and improve your unarmed strikes and dragons roar to use d12 damage dice while in this mode. Also allow dragons roar without costing ki. The other bits seem to fiddly. Also remove the ki cost and just leave it at 1/long rest.

Llama513
2018-04-10, 02:55 PM
I would drop the steel option entirely. It just seems fiddly overall.

Devour element is weird. I dont know where you are finding lightning just laying around to eat or how these elements can be classified into shapes. I would drop the eating part and just have the damage effect.

Dragons claw seems fine

Dragons roar: Steel resistance is way too powerful I would drop the resistance entirely and instead copy the sun soul monk ability to use it as a bonus action when you take the attack action. Also why not "Dragons Breath"?

Elemental Combination: Is very fiddly. I would put elemental resistance here and increase your breath to use d8s.

Dragon King
Keep fly speed, grant immunity to selected element, and improve your unarmed strikes and dragons roar to use d12 damage dice while in this mode. Also allow dragons roar without costing ki. The other bits seem to fiddly. Also remove the ki cost and just leave it at 1/long rest.

Thanks, I want to try and keep the steel if I can, but I can definitely see dropping it if absolutely necessary.

Removed the eating portion, of devour element, going to use flavour text to explain that you eat the spell and gain energy from it.

With the ajustment I think I got steel to work smoother.

Made the restoration of ki use a bonus action on your next turn after you take the damage.

The Dragon's Roar name is from the show thus that is staying, I will move the elemental resistance to Elemental Combination, and go with the sun soul monk.

Would giving steel just resistance or immunity to bludgeoning, be to strong.

I think I figured out how to make the elemental combination work.
I will implement this for Dragon King Mode, thanks.

Llama513
2018-04-11, 02:57 PM
I made steel only resist bludgeoning damage, and removed the step size increase of their unarmed strike damage die, and increased their reach to 15 feet.

Applied the changes suggested by Clash, beyond the removal of steel option (since I want to try and save it if I can), and tweaked how elmental combination works to make it more clear cut

Llama513
2018-04-25, 11:27 AM
If there aren't any exceptions to the changes that I have made I am going to try and playtest this archetype and adjust as needed

darkmoonrise312
2018-04-25, 06:32 PM
Is it intentional that the abilities only trigger off of damage from spells? I know that in the show basically every aspect of fighting comes from magic, but it seems kind of odd that a dragon slayer couldn't eat dragonfire (or dragonice or what have you) by RAW. I might suggest making it trigger simply off of taking the damage type. Also, it would be a nice and useful ribbon to say that you could eat the element for standard nourishment instead of just for powers. DM thinks he can starve the part out in the arctic? Surprise, I can just eat the glacier. Sure lightning doesn't come up to often, buts its an option.
Also, should the element combination for steel require eating lead? If that is intentional, maybe add in some poison damage cause lead is poisonous? Just an idea.
Besides that, it seems pretty good and actually fits the whole aesthetic of the show's combat style (accept the super jumps).

Llama513
2018-04-26, 11:47 AM
Is it intentional that the abilities only trigger off of damage from spells? I know that in the show basically every aspect of fighting comes from magic, but it seems kind of odd that a dragon slayer couldn't eat dragonfire (or dragonice or what have you) by RAW. I might suggest making it trigger simply off of taking the damage type. Also, it would be a nice and useful ribbon to say that you could eat the element for standard nourishment instead of just for powers. DM thinks he can starve the part out in the arctic? Surprise, I can just eat the glacier. Sure lightning doesn't come up to often, buts its an option.
Also, should the element combination for steel require eating lead? If that is intentional, maybe add in some poison damage cause lead is poisonous? Just an idea.
Besides that, it seems pretty good and actually fits the whole aesthetic of the show's combat style (accept the super jumps).

Initially yes the triggering off of just spells was intentional, I can add things like dragon's breath as those are not mundane sources of the element, I will add the flavor of eating mundane for nourishment.

I did not mean for steel to be lead, it should be 1 pound of steel.

Llama513
2018-04-27, 12:45 PM
Made the suggested changes in both the homebrewery and the original post