PDA

View Full Version : Can benign transportation reset with cantrips?

Jrocc
2018-04-10, 02:27 AM
So the level 6 wizard school of conjuration feature called benign transportation states “Once you use this feature, you can't use it again until you finish a long rest or you cast a conjuration spell of 1st level or higher.” That seems self explanatory to me that cantrips cannot recharge this feature. However, that was until I was shown the npc conjurer stat block from VGtM. The conjurer, which was made to mimic the pc class, has the same ability benign transportation, and similarly it states that it “Recharges after the Conjurer Casts a Conjuration Spell of 1st Level or Higher.” Again, it seems self explanatory, but then I was shown the spells in the stat block that were asterisked as being a “Conjuration spell of 1st level or higher.” 3 cantrips were asterisked as meeting the criteria, acid splash, mage hand and poison spray. Should I allow a player using this as RAW evidence to play as such? Is this just an error or do people actually think it is RAI? It makes a big difference to the play style because it means the feature can be recharged every round without utilising a precious spell slot.

Arkhios
2018-04-10, 02:34 AM
So the level 6 wizard school of conjuration feature called benign transportation states “Once you use this feature, you can't use it again until you finish a long rest or you cast a conjuration spell of 1st level or higher.” That seems self explanatory to me that cantrips cannot recharge this feature. However, that was until I was shown the npc conjurer stat block from VGtM. The conjurer, which was made to mimic the pc class, has the same ability benign transportation, and similarly it states that it “Recharges after the Conjurer Casts a Conjuration Spell of 1st Level or Higher.” Again, it seems self explanatory, but then I was shown the spells in the stat block that were asterisked as being a “Conjuration spell of 1st level or higher.” 3 cantrips were asterisked as meeting the criteria, acid splash, mage hand and poison spray. Should I allow a player using this as RAW evidence to play as such? Is this just an error or do people actually think it is RAI? It makes a big difference to the play style because it means the feature can be recharged every round without utilising a precious spell slot.

As a general rule, rules for Monster or NPC statblocks are not mutually applicable to PCs. While an NPC might have exactly a same feature as the player has, it doesn't have to follow the same rules as the PC does.

Elysiume
2018-04-10, 02:49 AM
Actually, this was specifically errata'd (https://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/VGtM-Errata.pdf):

Conjurer (p. 212). In the Spellcasting trait, the cantrips now have no asterisks.

Jrocc
2018-04-10, 05:34 AM
Actually, this was specifically errata'd (https://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/VGtM-Errata.pdf):

Awesome. Thanks for the information