PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Please help with: Cleric of the Plague

Grear Bylls
2018-04-10, 08:39 AM
Hey all!

I just finished up a new Cleric domain. Could you guys please help me refine it?

I present: Cleric, Plague Domain

Clerics of the Plague worship deities who hold the powers of Life and Death in their grip. These Clerics use the powers held by their deities to continue the natural order of life. They use these powers, in the form of the Plague. Plagues to these Clerics are sign of divine power, taking out masses of people to preserve the whole of the world. Many see these Clerics as Evil, but they are more often than not neutral, seeking to preserve the balance of the world.

Expanded Spell list
1st Level: Ray of Sickness, Detect Poison and Disease
3rd Level: Blindness/Deafness, Ray of Enfeeblement
5th Level: Bestow Curse, Vampiric Touch
7th Level: Blight, Sickening Radiance
9th Level: Contagion, Enervation

Bonus Abilities: When you choose this Domain at 1st Level, you gain proficiency in either the Medicine or Nature skill. You also learn a Cantrip of your choice from any classes spell list that deals Necrotic or Poison damage.

Plague Affliction: Also at 1st Level, your god blesses you with the ability to punish those who attack you with divine malice. When a creature within 60 feet of you deals damage to you with a spell or attack, you may use your reaction to give them a taste of the plague. They must succeed on a Constitution saving throw equal to your spell save DC, or take 2d8 Necrotic or Poison damage. On a successful save, they take no damage. You can use this feature a number of times equal to your Wisdom modifier. You regain all expended uses when you finish a Long Rest.

Channel Divinity: Infliction of Slow Death: Starting at 2nd Level, you can use your Channel Divinity to begin a horrific decay. Choose a creature within 30 feet of you. That creature must succeed on a Constitution saving throw equal to your spell save DC. On a failed save, they take 2d10 + your Cleric level of Necrotic or Poison damage, and are Blinded, Deafened, or Poisoned for 1 minute. While affected by the condition, they take 1d10 Necrotic or Poison damage at the start of their turn. They may repeat this saving throw at the end of each of their turns, ending the effect on a success. If they fail the saving throw by 5 or more, you deal 1d10 more damage and afflict them with one more of the three conditions. On a successful save, they take half as much damage and aren't afflicted.

Empowered Plague: At 6th Level, your deathly plagues become nigh on impossible to avoid. When you cast a Cleric spell, you may choose one creature affected by the spell to have disadvantage on all saving throws made to avoid the effects of the spell. You may use this feature a number of times equal to your Wisdom modifier. Your ability to use this feature refreshes on a Long Rest.
Additionally, you gain immunity to disease, and Resistance to Poison damage.

Potent Spellcasting: Starting at 8th Level, you can add your Wisdom modifier to the damage done by any Cleric Cantrip.

Black Death: At 17th Level, you are imbued with the powers of the plague, and gain the following benefits:
• You gain immunity to Poison damage.
• Any spell that you cast that deals Poison or Necrotic damage ignores resistance, and treats immunity as if it was resistance. Your spells also ignore immunity to Disease.
• Whenever you cast the Contagion spell, if a creature fails it's first saving throw against the effect, it is automatically afflicted by the effects.

Fire Tarrasque
2018-04-13, 08:21 PM
WOW that is powerful.
Plague Affliction: You can force con saves for 2d8 damage. The full save balances it, if it still is very powerful.
Channel Divinity: It can be translated too:
"Succeed a Con save or take 3d10 damage and have disadvantage on attack roles for one turn. And that's the BEST CASE scenario. Empowered plague: Works pretty well, but it has problems, which I will discuss later.
Potent Spellcasting... that works? It might be slightly too powerful. It's pretty normal. That's cool.
Black death: Okay. Let's go ability by ability.
Poison immunity? Cool. That's perfectly normal.
TWO damage types bypass resistance? I'm not sure. I get the disease and poison part, but maybe remove the necrotic type.
HERE WE GO. THIS IS THE ISSUE.
Basically, here's how you use this:
Cast contagion, using one of your empowered plague charges on this. Once they fail, AND THEY WILL FAIL, with three roles to make and disadvantage on each of them. NOW, give them the con ailment, then use your channel divinity.
Bam. They have major penalties to their con save, and will be taking 1-2d10 damage per turn, and taking disadvantage on attack roles, not to mention your now free to use Plague Affliction to your heart's content.

Grear Bylls
2018-04-13, 08:44 PM
Thank you for your feedback Fire Tarrasque! Greatly appreciate it. I am going to dissect it and support my choices.

The first ability is nearly identical to the Tempest cleric ability, accept for the range, ability to hit casters, and the fact that the damage is commonly resisted for this one.

Channel Divinity: It can be translated too:
"Succeed a Con save or take 3d10 damage and have disadvantage on attack roles for one turn. And that's the BEST CASE scenario.

I tried to balance this one around the light Cleric ability. The light cleric does 2d10+Level to EVERYTHING in a thirty foot radius. Is 2d10 and a condition to much to one target? It only does 3d10 if they REALLY fail, not just fail. I think it's reasonably balanced.

How would you personally balance the final feature? I don't think Necrotic bypassing things isn't uncalled for, but it makes less sense than I first thought looking back. I wanted to make Contagion something that didn't suck. I understand how it may be OP looking back. Can I ask for how you would personally balance it?

Thank you for the feedback!

Fire Tarrasque
2018-04-13, 10:30 PM
3d10 is the devil in the details. They get to save at the END of their turn, and they take the second 1d10 at the START of their turn.