PDA

View Full Version : Help me hide a Fortress

Princesse
2018-04-10, 11:03 AM
Hi!
So i'm DMing a game of D&D even though my problem isnt relevent to a particular setting. My players needs to find a Fortress, so tall it can be seen above the mountains, across the forests, from several days of walk. A Fortress so big that no army could take it by force! They want to use the fortress as a Stronghold for their city and move everyone to safety, but an evil foe used powerful magic to move it somewhere, but where? And for what purpose?

Maybe a dragon uses it to hide its treasure, or a goblin found a scroll to teleport it, and now uses it as a goblin hideout. Maybe the duergar dig under and the fortress is now simply in the underdark?

By the way english is my second language so i might have made some stupid mistakes, so sorry in advance :)

hymer
2018-04-10, 11:08 AM
The fortress has, of course, been moved to the moon. Or on top of some clouds, never to be seen from the ground. Or to the bottom of the ocean. Or it has been shrunken down and resides in a crystal ball. It's obvious. :smallwink:

Dragons_Ire
2018-04-10, 11:17 AM
The fortress has, of course, been moved to the moon. Or on top of some clouds, never to be seen from the ground. Or to the bottom of the ocean. Or it has been shrunken down and resides in a crystal ball. It's obvious. :smallwink:Oh, I especially like the crystal ball idea. I may use it, if that's okay with you?

Princesse
2018-04-10, 12:17 PM
Those are all great ideas! Now im imagining the Crystal ball in the treasure of a Great dragon or on the shelf of an old hag in a swamp! Awesome , keep it going!

Gravitron5000
2018-04-10, 01:01 PM
Those are all great ideas! Now im imagining the Crystal ball in the treasure of a Great dragon or on the shelf of an old hag in a swamp! Awesome , keep it going!

It's still exactly where it was. A genius painter has painted it to perfectly match it's background. How did he do it to match the turn of the seasons and the shadows as they progress across the day, no one knows.

It's in a titan's pocket.

Chad Hooper
2018-04-10, 01:11 PM
If you want Spelljammer to be a thing in your game, some space-going Dwarves landed on the planet, liked the fortress, and so installed a Helm on it and flew it out to near-planet orbit.

Sticking with the "in a crystal ball" idea, if the ball is shattered so is the fortress and anything living, dead, or undead inside. The magic that was used to put it in the ball in the first place must be removed/dispelled to restore the fortress.

Lord Torath
2018-04-10, 02:39 PM
If you want Spelljammer to be a thing in your game, some space-going Dwarves landed on the planet, liked the fortress, and so installed a Helm Forge on it and flew it out to near-planet orbit.Fixed that for you. :smallwink:

Chad Hooper
2018-04-10, 05:35 PM
Thanks! It's been so long since I've run Spelljammer (and no space-faring Dwarves appeared) that I completely forgot that distinction.

TheStranger
2018-04-10, 07:21 PM
The fortress has been moved slightly out of phase with the prime material, and now appears in different places at irregular intervals according to the whims of Plot, like one of those curio shops that sells you a cursed lamp but isn't there when you want to return it.

The fortress has been shrunken down by a powerful mage, who gave it to his daughter to use as a dollhouse. Naturally, the girl loves it and is far too cute and innocent for the heroes to take her favorite toy away. A side quest for a replacement toy ensues.

The fortress has been painted pink and covered with a Somebody Else's Problem field.

A traveling stage magician made the fortress disappear during his show on Midsummer's Eve, and couldn't figure out how to make it reappear.

hymer
2018-04-11, 03:24 AM
Oh, I especially like the crystal ball idea. I may use it, if that's okay with you?
Sure, go right ahead. :smallsmile:

Misery Esquire
2018-04-11, 03:40 AM
All paths to the fortress are currently closed for your convenience, please check back [unmarked calendar].

The fortress you are seeing in the mountains and through the trees is simply an optical illusion of another fortress deep under the valley being reflected via bizarre localized weather effects and a sunken riverbed.

The fortress is on this hill next Tuesday, 3 o'clock in the afternoon. You can't get to it, because whenever you try it has always moved on to next Tuesday.

The forest blocking the way is alive, as in mobile, and takes more than a day to walk through. Whenever they go to sleep it rearranges itself into a new maze leading them back out.

There is no legendary fortress. It's only a model.

Tvtyrant
2018-04-11, 03:49 AM
It changed places with its reflection. When you go to the fortress it is flat and you can pass through it, the real fortress is in the reflection in the lake next to it.

SirGraystone
2018-04-11, 07:19 AM
Stealing idea from the movie Krull, a fortress that at each damn teleport to a different place, making it almost impossible to find before it move again.

Berenger
2018-04-15, 04:51 AM
It's cursed and exists only in the light of the full moon.

It sits on a mountaintop surrounded by mist.

ZamielVanWeber
2018-04-15, 05:13 AM
Does some variant on the shiro shiro no mi (http://onepiece.wikia.com/wiki/Shiro_Shiro_no_Mi) work for you?

TalonOfAnathrax
2018-04-15, 10:49 AM
The Fortress was Animated (by spellcasters using the Cooperative Spell metamagic feat to get a huge CL or something) and then Awakened with the Awaken Construct spell so it became a single creature, and was then targeted with the Imprisonment spell.

Tvtyrant
2018-04-17, 02:57 AM
So, like a cardboatd cutout? If I breathe on it will it topple over?

Like a fata morgana, so you pass through it. Essentially a reflection on the sky (mirages are similar as well).

Lvl 2 Expert
2018-04-17, 04:08 AM
The fortress has gone underground. It's guarded by the family of giant moles who dug the hole for it and occupied by ever creature in the manual that looks in any way worm or snake like, hiding from those moles. Look for a "loose sand and rocks" mountain range that wasn't there last month.