PDA

View Full Version : DM Help help with bonus attacks for Boss

LordWolfKnight
2018-04-10, 11:20 AM
alright so my game allows me to take a bunch of features from every class and prestige class. and so i have chosen to allow dragon and dungeon magazines to further this madness. i am running into a problem with the boss though, he has several features and feats that let him make extra attacks at his highest attack bonus, but i cant figure out the total penalties to his attacks. i will list his features and stuff in the following spoiler.

PLAYERS OF THE FANGS OF THE DESERT GAME SHOULD NOT READ THIS, IF I FIND OUT YOU DID YOU WILL BE REMOVED FROM THE GAME

two weapon fighting 1 attack at highest attack bonus for -2 for all attacks that round at first level
rain of blows(dragon mag) 1 attack at highest attack bonus for -3 for all attacks that round at 4th level
storm of blows(dragon mag, replaces rain of blows i believe) 2 attacks at highest attack bonus for -6 for all attacks that round at 6th level
improved two weapon fighting and regular iterative at -5 penalty
regular 11th level iterative for -10
greater two weapon fighting at 12th level for 1 offhand attack at -10
flurry of strikes 1 attack at highest attack bonus for -2 penalty for all attacks that round at 14th level
regular iterative at 16th level at -15
speed weapon 1 attack at highest attack bonus
haste (cos i am letting it stack as i am the DM) 1 attack at highest attack bonus

i know the total number but when i try and figure it out per level it doesn't add up. and my numbers get thrown off around level 6 when i get 2 attacks at -5 penalty (one regular, one imp. two weapon fighting) and again at 11th level when i get my third regular attack at -10, then at 12 the when i get greater two weapon fighting for one attack at -10, and finally at 16th level when i get my final attack at -15 can anyone help me understand where i am going wrong with my math if i need to show a table i will i just don't want to clutter up this thread

EDIT: i should mention he will be a recurring villain.

tyckspoon
2018-04-10, 01:28 PM
Looks like -10 penalty if using all options; the rest is just the usual stepping down of iterative attacks. Assuming all of these abilities can actually be combined (or that you are ruling they do anyways as GM) it should look something like 6 attacks (1 BAB derived, 1 Speed, 1 Haste, 1 Flurry of Strikes, 2 Storm of Blows) at highest bonus delivered with the main hand/primary weapon; 1 attack at highest bonus delivered with the off hand, and then 1 main + one off-hand at -5 and 1 main + 1 off-hand at -10. Finally one more main hand when you hit BAB 16, but that attack will be rolling at with a total penalty of -25 and is probably only going to hit on a crit.

Can't check your math completely without knowing the rest of the character's attack bonuses to roll in with the penalties, but I'm pretty sure that -10 is the correct penalty for all those extra attacks.

LordWolfKnight
2018-04-10, 03:31 PM
He has full bab so 20+18 (from class features and feats)+11 str modifier

There is also a reduction of two weapon fighting penalties with the class feature ambidexterity from tempest from 3.0 so the penalty would be 8 instead of 10. Sorry i forgot about that until i looked up my character.

Dezea
2018-04-11, 06:23 AM
Since you don't really care that much about rules (No offense here, but you seems to be okay with some tweaking, as you show with that haste stacking) why not simply just handwawe numbers anyway ? Just give him the number of attack you need, with the bonuses you deem fitting, instead of going into heavy math.

Just my two cents, but as a player i would indeed find it wierder if my DM said "Everything is going by the rules, but I decided that haste stack, because after why not - Except that you, as a players, can't do that" instead of just "I made this monster using custom rules, get ready for something quite unusual".

Uncle Pine
2018-04-11, 06:46 AM
He has full bab so 20+18 (from class features and feats)+11 str modifier

Starting from here, his full attack routine while naked and holding one normal weapon for which he is proficient is +49/+44/+39/+34.
(Greater/Improved) Two Weapon Fighting, assuming light weapon in his off-hand and including Absolute Ambidexterity from 3.0 Tempest, bring this to +49/+44/+39/+34 plus +49/+44/+39.
Without a decent source I can't check rain and storm of blows, so I'm going with your interpretation that the latter replaces the former. This gives us +43/+43/+43/+38/+33/+28 plus +43/+38/+33.
Assuming storm of blows is automatic and doesn't actually require you to spend an action to initiate it unlike flurry of blows, which brings it to +41/+41/+41/+41/+36/+31/+26 plus +41/+36/+31.
Plus two extra attacks from the various houseruled hastes. Final: +41/+41/+41/+41/+41/+41/+36/+31/+26 plus +41/+36/+31.

LordWolfKnight
2018-04-11, 03:15 PM
Since you don't really care that much about rules (No offense here, but you seems to be okay with some tweaking, as you show with that haste stacking) why not simply just handwawe numbers anyway ? Just give him the number of attack you need, with the bonuses you deem fitting, instead of going into heavy math.

Just my two cents, but as a player i would indeed find it wierder if my DM said "Everything is going by the rules, but I decided that haste stack, because after why not - Except that you, as a players, can't do that" instead of just "I made this monster using custom rules, get ready for something quite unusual".

well i am getting rid of the haste thing as to not confuse my players, but the game i am running is totally op in the fact that it is create your own class using existing features. there are a total of 40 features over 20 levels that can be taken from all the classes, and prestige classes at 11th level to make this custom class. so things are going to be op by a lot.

Starting from here, his full attack routine while naked and holding one normal weapon for which he is proficient is +49/+44/+39/+34.
(Greater/Improved) Two Weapon Fighting, assuming light weapon in his off-hand and including Absolute Ambidexterity from 3.0 Tempest, bring this to +49/+44/+39/+34 plus +49/+44/+39.
Without a decent source I can't check rain and storm of blows, so I'm going with your interpretation that the latter replaces the former. This gives us +43/+43/+43/+38/+33/+28 plus +43/+38/+33.
Assuming storm of blows is automatic and doesn't actually require you to spend an action to initiate it unlike flurry of blows, which brings it to +41/+41/+41/+41/+36/+31/+26 plus +41/+36/+31.
Plus two extra attacks from the various houseruled hastes. Final: +41/+41/+41/+41/+41/+41/+36/+31/+26 plus +41/+36/+31.

like i said the end total comes out right its just like the individual levels is the problem. i will have to figure it out at some point as i have more important things to do at the moment so, thanks for your help anyways sorry to be a bother.