PDA

View Full Version : Clever Uses for the Proteus Feat

Zombulian
2018-04-10, 02:29 PM
I just stumbled across this feat (I really do need to pick up a copy of EoE, there's so much neat stuff in there) while delving through some older forum posts and I am tickled by the potential uses of it. While I'm planning to conduct my own research, I've never been much of an Illusion guy (and when I am, it's usually about Figments). Does anyone here know of some established tricks that can be done with this feat?

Just off the top of my head:
-Immediate Action Blur, Invisibility, Silence, Blinding Color Surge
-Trading one of your spell slots for a very niche Glamer spell that isn't worth having on your Spells Known list or worth preparing like Doublespeak or False Lie
-Using a Theurge class to fuel your free illusions and immediate illusions
-Gaining access to Glamer spells not on your class list

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-04-10, 04:24 PM
Fantastic for theurges.

Zombulian
2018-04-10, 05:04 PM
Fantastic for theurges.

Good point! Noted.

Thurbane
2018-04-10, 05:38 PM
I would assume that the feat is supposed to say "any lower-level illusion (glamer) spell that you know", but since it doesn't, and there was no errata, it's ripe for (ab)use. :smalltongue:

Similar happened with the Spontaneous Divination ACF, but that was addressed by errata .

Troacctid
2018-04-10, 05:54 PM
It's great on divine casters that don't have a lot of native access to those spells.

Zombulian
2018-04-10, 06:01 PM
I would assume that the feat is supposed to say "any lower-level illusion (glamer) spell that you know", but since it doesn't, and there was no errata, it's ripe for (ab)use. :smalltongue:

Similar happened with the Spontaneous Divination ACF, but that was addressed by errata .

It's great on divine casters that don't have a lot of native access to those spells.

Indeed. I believe I covered that in the 4th part of the list. Though the Divine casters part may be worth mentioning specifically.

Thurbane
2018-04-10, 06:16 PM
Ambient Song
Beastmask
Blinding Color Surge
Blur
Cloak Pool
Discolor Pool
Disguise Self
Disguise Ship
Disguise Undead
Displacement
Elf Disguise
False Sending
False Vision
Friendly Face
Hallucinatory Terrain
Hidden Ward
Illusory Pit
Invisibility
Invisibility Sphere
Greater Invisibility
Mass Invisibility
Superior Invisibility
Swift Invisibility
Magic Aura
Magic Mouth
Mirage Arcana
Misdirection
Mislead
Misrepresent Alignment
Phantom Trap
Reflective Disguise
Mass Reflective Disguise
Screen
Seeming
Shifting Paths
Silence
Silent Portal
Stalking Spell
Suspended Silence
Towering Oak
Veil
Woodland Veil
Zone of Silence

Zombulian
2018-04-10, 06:20 PM
-Snip-
Nice!

Does anyone else see potential for an Immediate Action Hallucinatory Terrain?

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-04-10, 06:27 PM
Nice!

Does anyone else see potential for an Immediate Action Hallucinatory Terrain?Does the material component require a certain farm-growing fungus, perhaps? Seems a bit pat, to me.

Zombulian
2018-04-10, 06:39 PM
Does the material component require a certain farm-growing fungus, perhaps? Seems a bit pat, to me.

I am unfamiliar with this terminology

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-04-10, 06:44 PM
I am unfamiliar with this terminology
pat
adjective
adjective: pat
simple and somewhat glib or unconvincing.

cow·pat
ˈkouˌpat
noun
noun: cow-pat
a flat, round piece of cow dung.

mag·ic mush·room
noun informal
noun: magic mushroom; plural noun: magic mushrooms
any toadstool with hallucinogenic properties, especially the liberty cap and its relatives.

Two guesses as to where magic mushrooms grow. AKA, it's a pun.

Zombulian
2018-04-11, 12:49 AM
Two guesses as to where magic mushrooms grow. AKA, it's a pun.

Ah, I figured it was a manner of speech but I couldn't find a definition after a quick flexing of google fu.
Should have known it was a pun. Shame on you.

Venger
2018-04-11, 01:46 AM
Does the material component require a certain farm-growing fungus, perhaps? Seems a bit pat, to me.

Tragically not, though it does require "a bit of green plant," so you're on the right track. Gandalf would be proud.

Uncle Pine
2018-04-11, 01:51 AM
This (http://bg-archive.minmaxforum.com/index.php?topic=12661) list, while mainly intended for Artificer and not sortable by spell school, contains a few discounted illusions (i.e. the various Images spells).

thorr-kan
2018-04-11, 10:08 AM
Good point! Noted.
Actually, great for any prepared caster?

It doesn't specify *divine* spells. Your illusionist just got the equivalent of "spontaneous cure" for his glamer spells. Spell slot versatility is always useful...

Zombulian
2018-04-11, 12:03 PM
This (http://bg-archive.minmaxforum.com/index.php?topic=12661) list, while mainly intended for Artificer and not sortable by spell school, contains a few discounted illusions (i.e. the various Images spells).

Thanks! This along with Thurbane's list should be helpful. Note that Proteus is exclusively for Glamer spells though.

Actually, great for any prepared caster?

It doesn't specify *divine* spells. Your illusionist just got the equivalent of "spontaneous cure" for his glamer spells. Spell slot versatility is always useful...

Indeed. I think I covered that in my 2nd point. Also it's not *exactly* equivalent to spontaneous conversion in a divine class because the Glamer has to be at least 1 level lower than the spell you're losing.

ATHATH
2018-04-11, 02:26 PM
Thurbane's list doesn't include the Mislead spell.

Zombulian
2018-04-11, 02:31 PM
Thurbane's list doesn't include the Mislead spell.

Oo yeah! That's a good candidate for Immediate casting.