PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Flying creatures in the underdark?

Jellyburd
2018-04-10, 02:36 PM
What flying creatures live in the underdark?
I want to have basically a small mountain within the underdark with some flying creature nested around its peak.
Anything match this description?
I was thinking something like a Griffin or wyvern maybe a manticore only reskinned to match the environment. Thoughts?

RSP
2018-04-10, 02:44 PM
What flying creatures live in the underdark?
I want to have basically a small mountain within the underdark with some flying creature nested around its peak.
Anything match this description?
I was thinking something like a Griffin or wyvern maybe a manticore only reskinned to match the environment. Thoughts?

Certainly giant bats would fit in the Underdark, but I think you're on the right track of just re-skinning anything that otherwise fits the bill of what you're looking for and tossing them in there.

A Fat Dragon
2018-04-10, 02:49 PM
Bone Devils and Spiked Devils may make their home in the underdark, and both are flying.

The Jack
2018-04-10, 03:07 PM
Reskin anything and everything. I'd suggest the cloaker, but they're an ambush predator more than something you'd see circling a mountain. Also that CR...

The biggest appeal of the underdark is how unknown the horrors are.

You could have deep-harpies nesting within caves carved into mountain-sized stalactites.

Rhaegar14
2018-04-10, 03:19 PM
http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Deep_dragon

"Deep dragons, also called purple dragons, were a type of chromatic dragon that lived in the Underdark." You'd have to do some homebrew but it'd work, unless a dragon is smarter than what you're looking for.

tieren
2018-04-10, 03:23 PM
Gargoyles are elemental earth, they could work in the Underdark.

JackPhoenix
2018-04-10, 03:51 PM
Drow after they got hit by Thunderwave while standing atop the mountain.

Also, both drow (with drow high magic) and Mind Flayers have access to Levitate.

Jellyburd
2018-04-10, 07:09 PM
Reskin anything and everything. I'd suggest the cloaker, but they're an ambush predator more than something you'd see circling a mountain. Also that CR...

The biggest appeal of the underdark is how unknown the horrors are.

You could have deep-harpies nesting within caves carved into mountain-sized stalactites.

My PCs just went through a Grick infested mine, they need a break from ambush predators lol

Jellyburd
2018-04-10, 07:11 PM
Certainly giant bats would fit in the Underdark, but I think you're on the right track of just re-skinning anything that otherwise fits the bill of what you're looking for and tossing them in there.

Agreed, im leaning towards all black feathered Perytons..havent thought any further than that. Maybe something meaner than a Stag head?