PDA

View Full Version : Archer build level 5 for now

Hunterx
2018-04-10, 02:54 PM
So as the title states this is a archer build but it has a few very uncommon twists.
First of the race is Xeph...second it is a half nymph which is a LA 2
The first class is Paladin 2 then ranger 1
Two flaws are taken for two first level feats for a total of 3
Feats: Xeph clarity, ranged smite, improved initiative devoted tracker.
The idea WAS to use Psionic shot with fell shot but since you can not do that for some god unknown reason I will not be going that way, so is there away to make many shot a full round action so I can tie it into Xeph clarity.

Psyren
2018-04-10, 04:53 PM
I'm guessing this is for D&D 3.5 but can you clarify?

LibraryOgre
2018-04-10, 07:44 PM
The Mod Wonder: Moved.

Hunterx
2018-04-10, 10:05 PM
I'm guessing this is for D&D 3.5 but can you clarify?

Yes 3.5 it is

Psyren
2018-04-10, 10:26 PM
The idea WAS to use Psionic shot with fell shot but since you can not do that for some god unknown reason I will not be going that way,

You can, it's just hard to do and even harder to repeat. The reason being that both feats require expending your psionic focus, so first off you need two foci (e.g. Psicrystal Containment) and then you need to be able to regain them both (e.g. Psionic Meditation + Schism), and even if you pull all that off you're only attacking once per round, though of course the bonus damage and touch attack were only applying to one shot at a time anyway.

so is there away to make many shot a full round action so I can tie it into Xeph clarity.

Why not just Rapid Shot+Haste with it?

ericgrau
2018-04-11, 09:10 AM
Fighter 4 for ranged weapon mastery is good. You can really use the attack and damage boost. The damage boost is especially nice before level 13 when your weapon damage is limited. Hitting is always nice, and if you do the math each +1 is 7-10% more damage not 5% more damage. Improved rapid shot helps too. Point blank shot, rapid shot and precise shot are all givens I'm sure.

Ranged smite evil + extra smite x 3 can give you a few points of extra damage and 2 or 3 higher attack bonus for 2-3 rounds and some MAD. Or you can get a +3 and 4 damage all day and have more feats left over (from the fighter levels) to boost your attack & damage further or to use for whatever else. Sometimes it's better not to overcomplicate things and just grab straight hits & damage.

Psionic shot + fell shot likewise seem good but are you getting enough power points to full attack? Or is that why you're trying to use manyshot? That may be hard to get a lot of hits & damage with too. It looks like you're trying to do something unusual & interesting and I'm just stepping all over it... but does it work? Maybe a better answer would be if someone can give you the smite and/or power point fuel you need for this build. Or a way to make 1 single magnificent round of damage where you can be the BBEG killer then say "Sorry guys, I'm out of juice, back to little pew pews."

At your level start also grabbing arrows of every metal type and drow poison. Drow poison is obsolete in a few levels but amaze-balls right now when you consider you're also doing damage. By RAW when a foe drops one way or another you may switch targets mid full attack. Soon get a few bane arrows for common monster types, undead if not sure. At least this part is independent of build.

Selene Sparks
2018-04-11, 10:33 AM
The rest of the advice here is good, but one thing that needs to be said is that you really should dump half-nymph. It's really not getting you much of anything, and eating up two whole levels. If you're attached to the fey flavor, the unseelie fey, while its strict usability is debatable, would work much better than losing so much in the way of class features, HP, and attack. Levels are what make you actually good at things.

Menzath
2018-04-11, 12:47 PM
The rest of the advice here is pretty good.
My advice on class levels would be to go either psionic rogue, or lurk(not that good), and transition to teflammar shadow Lord once you have dimension hop, if you could get the outsider type for arrow demon form with metamorphosis that would help with burst damage by a large margin.

If that's not your 🍰 you could get divine might, divine aclarity, divine vigor, and travel devotion to really make use of those turn attempts and Cha to be a skirmisher type. Although might and aclarity would really burn through turn attempts.

Zombulian
2018-04-11, 01:57 PM
You can, it's just hard to do and even harder to repeat. The reason being that both feats require expending your psionic focus, so first off you need two foci (e.g. Psicrystal Containment) and then you need to be able to regain them both (e.g. Psionic Meditation + Schism), and even if you pull all that off you're only attacking once per round, though of course the bonus damage and touch attack were only applying to one shot at a time anyway.

Why not just Rapid Shot+Haste with it?

I thought Haste specifically didn't stack?

Psyren
2018-04-11, 02:27 PM
I thought Haste specifically didn't stack?

It says "similar effects" and uses a Speed weapon as an example. Whether Haste stacks with Rapid Shot or with Xeph Celerity is I believe a bit controversial.

Hunterx
2018-04-11, 03:08 PM
Fighter 4 for ranged weapon mastery is good. You can really use the attack and damage boost. The damage boost is especially nice before level 13 when your weapon damage is limited. Hitting is always nice, and if you do the math each +1 is 7-10% more damage not 5% more damage. Improved rapid shot helps too. Point blank shot, rapid shot and precise shot are all givens I'm sure.

Ranged smite evil + extra smite x 3 can give you a few points of extra damage and 2 or 3 higher attack bonus for 2-3 rounds and some MAD. Or you can get a +3 and 4 damage all day and have more feats left over (from the fighter levels) to boost your attack & damage further or to use for whatever else. Sometimes it's better not to overcomplicate things and just grab straight hits & damage.

Psionic shot + fell shot likewise seem good but are you getting enough power points to full attack? Or is that why you're trying to use manyshot? That may be hard to get a lot of hits & damage with too. It looks like you're trying to do something unusual & interesting and I'm just stepping all over it... but does it work? Maybe a better answer would be if someone can give you the smite and/or power point fuel you need for this build. Or a way to make 1 single magnificent round of damage where you can be the BBEG killer then say "Sorry guys, I'm out of juice, back to little pew pews."

At your level start also grabbing arrows of every metal type and drow poison. Drow poison is obsolete in a few levels but amaze-balls right now when you consider you're also doing damage. By RAW when a foe drops one way or another you may switch targets mid full attack. Soon get a few bane arrows for common monster types, undead if not sure. At least this part is independent of build.

Those feat do not take power points to use, you just need to have a power point to become focused. With manyshot and of course greater many sot each arrow will do psycic shot damage and smite damage. But you take an accumulated penalty of -2 for every arrow above X this is were fell shot comes in you are just hitting touch AC. And doing all that's lovely damage. That is the next question how to make manyshot a full round action.

Hunterx
2018-04-11, 03:15 PM
It says "similar effects" and uses a Speed weapon as an example. Whether Haste stacks with Rapid Shot or with Xeph Celerity is I believe a bit controversial.

Haste and speed weapon for sure a no. But haste and or speed weapon plus Xeph clarity I can not see why not.

ericgrau
2018-04-12, 01:26 AM
Those feat do not take power points to use, you just need to have a power point to become focused. With manyshot and of course greater many sot each arrow will do psycic shot damage and smite damage. But you take an accumulated penalty of -2 for every arrow above X this is were fell shot comes in you are just hitting touch AC. And doing all that's lovely damage. That is the next question how to make manyshot a full round action.

Ah I was looking at the wrong version. You have a way to recover your psionic focus multiple times in the same round?

Hunterx
2018-04-12, 02:42 PM
Ah I was looking at the wrong version. You have a way to recover your psionic focus multiple times in the same round?

No but you can focus as a move action which gives you 2 times in a full round. The one thing is Psionic weapon greater many shot and ranged smite would all count on all arrows fired. This would give you Psionic weapon damage range smite damage and bow damage all on say 4 arrows. We're if you use the rapid fire you get it on the first attack or a