PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Suggestions for an 18th Level Character

SaA
2018-04-10, 04:15 PM
Ok folks

I have 24hours to come up with an 18th level character for a local Homebrew world game.

*All published 5e books are allowed
*It must be a multiclass but only 2 Classes
*All published Races are allowed

18th level is the starting level, as the DM wants us to be quite powerful, since in the setting we are like "super powered people" , everything else we do from that is homebrew material , which i dont know anything about yet, kinda joined the game on a whim, the rest of the group said they would explain the things as we go on.

So im looking for a Fun Multiclass combination , it can either be stupid powerful or not doesnt mater to me, i dont need to feel like the most powerful or useful in any group

If being stupid powerful is whats fun of a certain MC, or if it just does some crazy combos, or if it does only one thing but it does that one thing really really well, even a fun jack of all trades type of thing would work aswell. Im up for any thing really

Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated

GlenSmash!
2018-04-10, 04:31 PM
If I had 14+ levels to work with I'd have to be convinced not to go Zealot. Living beyond 3 death saves while raging is just too cool for me not to try once.

So I think I'd go Scourge Aasimar Zealot 15, Champion 3 and be a Raging, Recklessly Attcking, crit fishing, and when necessary self healing monster.

I'd grab GWM for sure, Max Strength, then if I have ASIs left pick from favorite feats like PM, Sentinel, Lucky, and Mobile.

CTurbo
2018-04-10, 04:42 PM
Half-Orc Champion Fighter 11/Zealot Barbarian 7 or Champion 3/Barb 15

You get Str to 20, take GWF, GWM, Sentinel, and use a Greataxe or take PAM too and use a Halberd. You would crit often and it would be brutal. Go unarmored and have a decent Dex and Con.

or

Cleric 3/Frenzy Barb 15

Same concept as above except for the crit fishing. You get Str to 20, use a Greataxe and take GWM and Sentinel at least. This time, you wear medium armor and put a decent score in Wis instead of Dex.

Why Cleric? So you can cast Lesser Restoration on yourself after each combat to remove the exhaustion. Cleric also makes you a much more well rounded character outside of combat. I recommend Light or Tempest so you could be really blasty before you rage if you wanted. Either gives you a fun reaction ability too.

Joe dirt
2018-04-10, 05:13 PM
Bard/warlock.... take actor feat, diplomacy feat, max ur charisma, mask of the many.... become the perfect spy

Foxydono
2018-04-10, 05:32 PM
I would go shadow monk 14 / arcane trickster 4. With point buy, you can get the following stats if you play ghostwise halfling:

STR 10, DEX 16 (14+2), CON 14, WIS 15 (14+1), INT 10, CHA 10.

For ASI you take observant, mobile, +2 wis, +2 wis. This will make your Wisdom 20. Your AC will be 18 unarmored, but I suggest taking shield from arcane trickster so you have 23 AC when needed. Maybe you can get bracers of unarmored defence or a ring of protection to boost it more.

You take expertise in stealth and perception. With a +6 proficient bonus you have a passive perception of 10+6+6+5+5 = 32. Your stealth bonus will be d20+15. Your speed will be 25+25+10=60 and you can use cunning action so you can save your ki points to stun. Also, mobile gives you the ability to run in and out of combat. You'll usually have advantage because shadow monk and even if it's not dark you are a halfling, so hiding is easy.

Further bonuses, well you are proficient in all saves, have evasion, your luck trait and lots of other goodies. It's a fun and versitile build. Run in, stun and teleport back and hide. Even if you do get caught, you have a decent AC and insane saves.

Edit: alternatively you can go 20 dex or 18/18 instead of 20 Wisdom. You want a high save DC, but you want to hit with your attacks as well.

CTurbo
2018-04-10, 05:34 PM
Tabaxi Swashbuckler Rogue 5/Monk of the Long Death 13
Take Mobile feat and have 60ft regular movement and a 120ft dash as a bonus action. Double that speed if you wish every other round. You need a weapon for sneak attack damage, but then you can make 1 or 2 claw attacks for 1d8+ Dex. Spend all ki on Flurry of Blows or NOT dying(see Long Death level 11 feature). You'd literally be able to sneak attack every single round which would be 1d8+3d6+Dex with a Dagger or Short Sword.

or

Tabaxi Arcane Trickster 5/ Monk of the Long Death 13
In addition to all of that movement, you get a familiar and Booming Blade. Imagine running across the battlefield and hitting an enemy with Booming Blade for 4d8+Dex+3d6 damage, and then running way away from him. If he moves, he takes an additional 4d8 damage lol. Your familiar(owl) would give you advantage on that attack.

or

Tabaxi Scout Rogue 5/Monk 13

Scout would allow you to move up to half your speed as a reaction if an enemy ends it's turn next to you. This would be hilarious. You'd be impossible to pin down.

Lord8Ball
2018-04-10, 05:55 PM
Race: variant human
Class: Fighter(battlemaster)11/Sorcerer(shadow)7
Gear: full plate, greatsword
This builds focus is on heavy lockdown and damage. To start off you'll have a combo of darkness and eyes of the dark passive similar to the devil's eyes cheese from the warlock. From then you can use the sentinal passive coupled with warcaster to have booming blade opportunity attacks that immobilize the enemies while in the darkness(this can be twinned). On top of that, you'll have a great defense with blink and shield, darkness and great damage. Your hound will also be amazing to give your opponents DISADVANTAGE on your attempts to trip or disarm. Another hilarious combo is twinned booming blade and misty step away forcing your unaware opponent to eat the damage(this works in the darkness as well). Quicken+ action surge= buffs+ attack action So all in all you got big defense and offense, versatility, and a way of getting an advantage while enemies get a disadvantage. Also since most of your spells do not require an enemy save charisma does not take a big priority. Have fun.
Maneuvers style: protection
Maneuvers:
Riposte,trip attack,disarming(or precision) attack[fighter]
[sorcerer]
Metamagic: twin, quicken(or subtle if you prefer)
Class abilities:
Eyes of the Dark
Starting at 1st level, you have darkvision with a range of 120 feet. When you reach the 3rd level in this class,
you learn the darkness spell, which doesn’t count against your number of sorcerer spells known. In addition,
you can cast it by spending 2 sorcery points or by expending a spell slot. If you cast it with sorcery points
, you can see through the darkness created by the spell.

The strength of the Grave
Starting at 1st level, your existence in a twilight state between life and death makes you difficult to defeat
.When damage reduces you to 0 hit points, you can make a Charisma saving throw (DC 5 + the damage taken). On a
success, you instead drop to 1 hit point. You can’t use this feature if you are reduced to 0 hit points by radiant
damage or by a critical hit. After the saving throw succeeds, you can’t use this feature again until
you finish a long rest.

Hound of Ill Omen
At 6th level, you gain the ability to call. forth a howling creature of darkness to harass your foes. As a
bonus action, you can spend 3 sorcery points to magically summon a hound of ill omen to target one creature
you can see within 120 feet of you. The hound uses the dire wolf’s statistics (see the Monster Manual or
appendix C in the Player’s Handbook), with the following changes:
- The hound is size Medium, not Large, and it counts as a monstrosity, not a beast.
- It appears with a number of temporary hit points equal to half your sorcerer level.
- It can move through other creatures and objects as if they were difficult terrain.
The hound takes 5 force damage if it ends its turn inside an object. – At the start of its turn, the hound
automatically knows its target’s location. If the target was hidden, it is no longer hidden from the hound.
The hound appears in an unoccupied space of your choice within 30 feet of the target. Roll initiative for
the hound. On its turn, it can move only toward its target by the most direct route, and it can use its
action only to attack its target. The hound can make opportunity attacks, but only against its target.
Additionally, while the hound is within 5 feet of the target, the target has disadvantage on saving throws
against any spell you cast. The hound disappears if it is reduced to 0 hit points, if its target is reduced
to 0 hit points, or after 5 minutes.

cantrips
- Booming blade
- light
- create bonfire
- Minor illusion
- prestitigitation
1st lvl
- absorb elements
- shield
2nd lvl
- misty step
- alter self(in case of drowning)
3rd lvl
- blink
- haste
- counterspell
4th lvl
- greater invisibility
-great weapon master
-sentinal
-warcaster
-alert(or asi)
-lucky(or asi)

RedMage125
2018-04-10, 06:42 PM
You could always go with the "Decaf Coffeelock", which still works, even with new errata and updates to RAW.

Drow Warlock 3/Sorcerer 15 (trade away levels of sorc for more lock levels as desired, but this gives you more high-level spells)

Goes into trance for 4 hours, then uses bonus actions to turn soprcery points into 4th and 5th level spell slots (at least 6 points worth) trade 2 level 2 warlock slots for sorcery points (3 pts each). While the rest of the party continues to rest, he takes 4 short rests to get warlock slots back, each time turning excess spell points into spell slots. You can start each day with 4 extra 5th level slots and one extra 1st level slot over what a normal 15th level sorcerer would have.

This is perfectly legal by every interpretation of the rules, and imposes no penalties for not sleeping or not taking long rests.

CTurbo
2018-04-10, 06:46 PM
I like making characters lol

How about a some variation of Bladesinger

Fighter(any) 3/ Wizard Bladesinger 15
Fighter gets you Fighting Style(dueling), Action Surge, a small self heal, and either expanded crit range, battle maneuvers, or a couple of extra cantrips and level 1 spells.

Ranger Hunter 3/ Bladesinger 15
Ranger gets you Natural Explorer which is really strong, a fighting style(dueling), and Horde Breaker or Colossus Slayer

Rogue 3/ Bladesinger 15
Rogue gets you Expertise, Cunning Action, 2d6 sneak damage
-Swashbuckler is perfect. Sneak attack every turn
-Assassin is great for that first round strike
-Scout is good for being nearly impossible to pin down.
-Arcane Trickster is good for a couple extra spells and cantrips

Rogue 7/ Baldesinger 11
You give up the Bladesinger's Song of Victory feature(which is very good) and a lot of Wizardness to get Uncanny Dodge, Evasion, and an extra 3d6 sneak damage.

Eldritch Knight 11/ Bladesinger 7
In addition to all the normal Fighter goodies mentioned above, you have 3 normal attacks, you also get to make a melee attack after using your action on a cantrip, and you force an enemy you hit to have disadvantage on it's next saving throw you make it roll. You're giving up a lot of Wizardness but you're still a 7th level Wizard afterall and still have some great spells to choose from.

You'd want to max out Dex and Int, you'd have a silly high AC with Light Armor, and even have access to the Shield spell just in case.

CircleOfTheRock
2018-04-10, 06:52 PM
[snip]
This is perfectly legal by every interpretation of the rules, and imposes no penalties for not sleeping or not taking long rests.
Yes, but only the most insane of DMs will let you use it. Whether it's really worthy of banning is up for debate, but we don't want to clutter up this thread, do we? :smallbiggrin:

Xihirli
2018-04-11, 02:32 AM
Half-Orc Champion Fighter 11/Zealot Barbarian 7 or Champion 3/Barb 15

You get Str to 20, take GWF, GWM, Sentinel, and use a Greataxe or take PAM too and use a Halberd. You would crit often and it would be brutal. Go unarmored and have a decent Dex and Con.

or

Cleric 3/Frenzy Barb 15

Same concept as above except for the crit fishing. You get Str to 20, use a Greataxe and take GWM and Sentinel at least. This time, you wear medium armor and put a decent score in Wis instead of Dex.

Why Cleric? So you can cast Lesser Restoration on yourself after each combat to remove the exhaustion. Cleric also makes you a much more well rounded character outside of combat. I recommend Light or Tempest so you could be really blasty before you rage if you wanted. Either gives you a fun reaction ability too.

You need Greater Restoration to remove exhaustion.

Raif
2018-04-11, 02:43 AM
Level 18? Perfect for getting to play a Sorcadin 6/12 or a Sorlock Hexblade/Divine Soul or Shadow 5/13. Both of those reach their fully online at sorcerer level 10 + the other half (5th level spells) and you're 2/3 levels over.

There's also the Tempest Cleric 2 Storm Sorcerer 16 that works at this high level wonderfully.

Sucks that it has to be multiclass as Bladesinger 18 is amazing.

iTreeby
2018-04-11, 09:10 AM
Bard/warlock.... take actor feat, diplomacy feat, max ur charisma, mask of the many.... become the perfect spy

Basically this, but 1)be a yuan-ti or gnome 2) pick up magic jar with a spell secret 3) take the lucky feat 4) be the ultimate spy

This build is really tough to put down and you probably won't die because of magic jar because it is not nearly as dangerous for a charisma caster plus you have advantage on its saves and you can use lucky for a third d20 and as long as you get at least one nine or higher and keep the jar close, you should be safe. If you want to be safer you can use the jar to cast imprisonment so it can't be destroyed physically.

Foxydono
2018-04-11, 09:43 AM
My second recommendation is a knowledge domain cleric 1 / divination wizard 17. Not sure whether it's allowed, cause it's more of a dip than a real multiclass. Play a deep gnome with STR 8, DEX 14 (13+1), CON 13, INT 17 (15+2), WIS 14, CHA 8.

For feats pick up resilient Constitution, Warcaster, +2 Intelligence and something that gives +1 int. My choice would be investigator for this type of character. This gives you 20 Intelligence and 14 Dexterity with medium armor and shields. Potentially you can get a +3 armor and shield for 25 AC and 30 AC with shield up.

On top of this, you can cast 9th level spells. You have expertise in arcana, investigation and another skill and you have advantage on concentration checks and you are proficient with it. If you want to powerplay it's one of the best characters there is.

CTurbo
2018-04-11, 03:23 PM
[/B]

You need Greater Restoration to remove exhaustion.

Yeah that's right. I was thinking that Lesser Restoration removed 1 level and Greater removed all of it, but I remember now that was a houserule in one of my old games.

That's probably how it should have been though.

SaA
2018-04-11, 04:05 PM
I like making characters lol

How about a some variation of Bladesinger

Fighter(any) 3/ Wizard Bladesinger 15
Fighter gets you Fighting Style(dueling), Action Surge, a small self heal, and either expanded crit range, battle maneuvers, or a couple of extra cantrips and level 1 spells.

Ranger Hunter 3/ Bladesinger 15
Ranger gets you Natural Explorer which is really strong, a fighting style(dueling), and Horde Breaker or Colossus Slayer

Rogue 3/ Bladesinger 15
Rogue gets you Expertise, Cunning Action, 2d6 sneak damage
-Swashbuckler is perfect. Sneak attack every turn
-Assassin is great for that first round strike
-Scout is good for being nearly impossible to pin down.
-Arcane Trickster is good for a couple extra spells and cantrips

Rogue 7/ Baldesinger 11
You give up the Bladesinger's Song of Victory feature(which is very good) and a lot of Wizardness to get Uncanny Dodge, Evasion, and an extra 3d6 sneak damage.

Eldritch Knight 11/ Bladesinger 7
In addition to all the normal Fighter goodies mentioned above, you have 3 normal attacks, you also get to make a melee attack after using your action on a cantrip, and you force an enemy you hit to have disadvantage on it's next saving throw you make it roll. You're giving up a lot of Wizardness but you're still a 7th level Wizard afterall and still have some great spells to choose from.

You'd want to max out Dex and Int, you'd have a silly high AC with Light Armor, and even have access to the Shield spell just in case.

Hmm i think ill be going with one of these these :O

after looking over all the things

leaning toward Bladesinger/Scout + eladrin race, cause it meshes well with Int and Dex, also free racial teleport : D

and slap on some high level wizards spells aswell to increase the ultra hard to pin down aspect, maybe i could make him like an escape artist or something :O

Thanks for all the suggestions guys :)

CTurbo
2018-04-11, 04:42 PM
Hmm i think ill be going with one of these these :O

after looking over all the things

leaning toward Bladesinger/Scout + eladrin race, cause it meshes well with Int and Dex, also free racial teleport : D

and slap on some high level wizards spells aswell to increase the ultra hard to pin down aspect, maybe i could make him like an escape artist or something :O

Thanks for all the suggestions guys :)

I think I like the Swashbuckling Bladesinger the most since it would be so easy to get your sneak damage every turn. Scout is really strong, but with AC as high as your's is going to be, I don't think getting pinned down is going to be much of an issue.

I was originally thinking High Elf but yeah Eladrin works too.

Starting at 18th level, you should get to start with some fun magic items hopefully

A Fat Dragon
2018-04-11, 09:03 PM
If UA is allowed, then I would suggest to try out being the party’s best healer...

As in, Pure Theurgy Wizard (Life Domain). Grab all your Cleric healing spells, yadda’, yadda’, but make sure to have Helaing Word and Shield in your final result. Then, choose those two spells for Spell a Mastery:

You’ll be healing 12+Spellcasting Modifer on an ally (and gaining 4 hp) as a bonus action and giving yourself 5 AC on a reaction, and there’s no limit too it (Use those splll slots for FIREBALLS! Or, more support spells). You still have an action open to cast a damage cantrip, or another support spell (or a FIREBALL!! [Sorry, dramatic emphasis must happen]).

And, Polymorph + True Polymorph are two spells that are too fun to pass up at that level in my eyes. Who doesn’t want to turn their Allies into Adult Red Dragons?

Protato
2018-04-12, 10:01 AM
-Double posted by mistake, this comment has been deleted for it's been expanded upon a few posts down.-

KorvinStarmast
2018-04-12, 10:16 AM
Why Cleric? So you can cast Lesser Restoration on yourself after each combat to remove the exhaustion. Cleric also makes you a much more well rounded character outside of combat. I recommend Light or Tempest so you could be really blasty before you rage if you wanted. Either gives you a fun reaction ability too. Is that a rule change or a home brew?

I was thinking that Lesser Restoration removed 1 level and Greater removed all of it, but I remember now that was a houserule in one of my old games. That's probably how it should have been though. I agree. It is IMO one of the few serious boo boos they made with this class. If you look at the standard adventure day/6 encounters idea, having to spend a lot of 2d level slots is a check on the power of the berserker.

Protato
2018-04-12, 11:23 AM
Hexblade Battlemaster could be fun, you're like a Fighter but with added utility and range on your attacks. I'd put more in Fighter than Warlock, or have them about equal. Spells should mainly augment your martial abilities, and you should have EB for ranged. For feats, I'd take Martial Adept for extra BM maneuvers and more importantly, an extra SD.