PDA

View Full Version : 2 Questions Related to Archer Fighter/Rogue and Fighter/Rogue overall

DCme27
2018-04-10, 06:27 PM
Hi Everybody!

My character is currently a level 11 fighter 10/20/14/12/16/10 and I was planning to multiclass into Rogue starting next level. In my game, my party was granted "gifts" by the Gods and mine included 4 Cantrips and 2 1st level spells from the Ranger or Cleric spell lists -- so I was able to take Hunter's Mark. We will probably get to level 20 in this campaign.

RP-wise, the Rogue Scout fits my character really well. I already have Sharpshooter (of course) and was planning to take Resilient (Wis) and Observant (for flavor and that extra point to take Wisdom to 18). Additionally, I was originally planning on going up to level 9 in Rogue.

But now, I'm thinking of going 12/8 Fighter/Rogue, taking and adding Elven Accuracy to my ASI's taken. I was wondering everyone's thoughts on 12/8 fighter/rogue vs 11/9 fighter rogue.

Additionally, damage-wise, is there any non-flavor scenario where, in long campaigns, taking 20 levels in Rogue is better than at least taking 11 levels in fighter for that 3rd attack?

Thank you!

CTurbo
2018-04-10, 06:59 PM
I like the Archer Fighter/Rogue combo. Scout would be great for an archer too.

As far as whether or not to go 11/9 or 12/8

Which would you rather have?

Elven Accuracy or +10 to speed and and extra 1d6 sneak damage?

Crgaston
2018-04-10, 11:55 PM
This is a great build, probably the best pure Martial combo. Well, my favorite one anyway.

You’ve already got a great attack bonus, so with advantage you won’t be missing much even without the EA. EA would mean you’d pretty much never miss. OTOH, the +1 would be wasted with your stats +Resilient+Observant.

What fighter archetype are you? And what spells/cantrips did you take?

I could see taking F12 immediately (or soon at least) for the Resilient Wis, though.

DCme27
2018-04-11, 06:36 PM
I like the Archer Fighter/Rogue combo. Scout would be great for an archer too.

As far as whether or not to go 11/9 or 12/8

Which would you rather have?

Elven Accuracy or +10 to speed and and extra 1d6 sneak damage?

I was originally going 11/9 but I'm starting to lean towards 12/8. I already get 35 feet of movement and with everything else (especially once I get disengaged) pinning me down would be near impossible and they'd probably be dead before they reached me!

After posting, I realized it's an extra 3.5 DPR (a bit over 3% of my damage -- nothing) and +10 feet - vs either Elven Accuracy or reach 18 Wisdom, having a passive perception of 31 (insane!) and a cool RP feat of reading lips.

Thanks for your feedback!

DCme27
2018-04-11, 06:41 PM
This is a great build, probably the best pure Martial combo. Well, my favorite one anyway.

You’ve already got a great attack bonus, so with advantage you won’t be missing much even without the EA. EA would mean you’d pretty much never miss. OTOH, the +1 would be wasted with your stats +Resilient+Observant.

What fighter archetype are you? And what spells/cantrips did you take?

I could see taking F12 immediately (or soon at least) for the Resilient Wis, though.

I'm a BM. My cantrips are Guidance, Toll the Dead, Light, and Sacred Flame. Level 1 spells are Hunter's Mark and Healing Word (in case anyone goes unconscious).

I could see taking it, too. I want that Cunning Action badly, though! I started thinking today of going to level 4R before going to 12F -- back to back ASI. Or I could go 2 into Rogue and then 12F.