PDA

View Full Version : I want a Monodrone Claptrap

Jellyburd
2018-04-10, 07:08 PM
Would it be reasonable to think that a monodrone's one task could be to serve a gnome tinkerer who (suprise) tinkered with it to make it obey him? Or that as a sign of thanks it was gifted to him as a life long companion/servant?
(i'm visualizing a DnD version of Claptrap from Borderlands)
Thoughts?

Ventruenox
2018-04-10, 07:18 PM
Talk with your DM. You may be able to work out a Find Familiar opportunity with this NPC.

Jellyburd
2018-04-10, 07:19 PM
Talk with your DM. You may be able to work out a Find Familiar opportunity with this NPC.

I am the DM! but I like to stay within reasonable limits as to how creatures would function.

Sigreid
2018-04-10, 07:36 PM
Not sure what the stats are on those, but if it can fight I'd treat it as an advanced familiar. Could also probably be talked into a ranger pet.

Would totally allow an adventurer to try to find and capture one.

Ventruenox
2018-04-10, 07:46 PM
Sorry about that assumption. I'd nerf the Monster Manual entry, and remove the demiplane popping property from the Familiar spell. Since it is a construct, it won't need to eat, breathe, or sleep. Fair tradeoff. It has hands to manipulate the environment; you decide if it can activate magic items or attune.

Maybe stat it like this?

Monodrone
Tiny construct, lawful neutral

Armor Class 11

Hit Points 6

Speed 30 ft., climb 30 ft.

Str 5 (-3) Dex 10 (+0) Con 10 (+0)

Int 4 (-3) Wis 10 (+0) Cha 4 (-3)

Skills Perception +3, Tool Proficiency (1 Artisan tool set) +3

Senses Darkvision 60 ft., passive perception 13

Languages All languages known by its creator

Challenge 1/8

Claw

Melee Weapon Attack: +3 to hit, reach 5 ft., one creature. Hit: 1 piercing damage.

LordEntrails
2018-04-10, 08:10 PM
IMO, monodrone does one task. One simple repetitive task. As I servant I met let it be a valet, always setting out clothes, taking the discarded ones, washing and ironing then setting them out again.

I would not let it do complex things. I would not let the tinkerer give it commands and follow them regardless of complexity.