PDA

View Full Version : Tal’Dorei Juggernaut subclass Barbarian build?

NiklasWB
2018-04-11, 04:23 AM
Hello all,

Does anyone have any experience with the Critical Role Tal’Dorei campaign Barbarian subclass - the Juggernaut?

I’ll probably be playing in a mid level one-shot in a few weeks and I’ve been toying around with the idea of a Warforged Barbarian. The problem is that all official Barbarian subclasses have fluff-aspects that are kind of hard to disregard. I mean, I could just take a Bear Totem Barbarian and just never use Speak with Animals or Commune with nature, but that just feels boring for a one shot. Berserker and Battlerager could do I suppose, but I just feel like they are mechanically pretty bad. And Ancestral, Storm and Zealot all have abilities that seem a bit too “magical/spiritual” for what I had in mind.

So, not overly excited by my choices, I was flipping through the Tal’Dorei Campaign Guide and stumbled across the Juggernaut, which pretty much perfectly fit the idea I had about the character I wanted to play. Non magical, moves things around when I hit them, Siege property, impossible to knock prone, cleave attack and "unstoppable". Perfect for the Warforged battering-ram I had in mind.

The subclass doesn’t seem overpowered, but also doesn’t seem lackluster, right? Has anyone of you guys tried it, and if so, any advice on how to build it? Let’s assume a level 10 build and the UA Warforged for now.

Thanks for your input.

DarkKnightJin
2018-04-11, 04:36 AM
I only had a glance over the Archetype features, since I do not own a copy of the book.
Most of the subclasses seem like they'd be fun to try.

As for building a Juggernaut.. I wish I could help, bit all I can do is say: "If this Archetype is what you think fits the character idea the best, go for it."

You'll probably wanna grab a Great Weapon and have fun with it.
If all UA is on the table, you could maybe consider a 1 level dip of Stone Sorcerer, for the AC 13+Con thing.
And 2 castings of Shield while you're not Raging.
Which you should probably be doing as often as possible anyway, but still.

Of course, that'd cut into the non-magical feel you're going for. Disregard that suggestion, then.

GlenSmash!
2018-04-11, 06:23 PM
Hello all,

Does anyone have any experience with the Critical Role Tal’Dorei campaign Barbarian subclass - the Juggernaut?

I’ll probably be playing in a mid level one-shot in a few weeks and I’ve been toying around with the idea of a Warforged Barbarian. The problem is that all official Barbarian subclasses have fluff-aspects that are kind of hard to disregard. I mean, I could just take a Bear Totem Barbarian and just never use Speak with Animals or Commune with nature, but that just feels boring for a one shot. Berserker and Battlerager could do I suppose, but I just feel like they are mechanically pretty bad. And Ancestral, Storm and Zealot all have abilities that seem a bit too “magical/spiritual” for what I had in mind.

So, not overly excited by my choices, I was flipping through the Tal’Dorei Campaign Guide and stumbled across the Juggernaut, which pretty much perfectly fit the idea I had about the character I wanted to play. Non magical, moves things around when I hit them, Siege property, impossible to knock prone, cleave attack and "unstoppable". Perfect for the Warforged battering-ram I had in mind.

The subclass doesn’t seem overpowered, but also doesn’t seem lackluster, right? Has anyone of you guys tried it, and if so, any advice on how to build it? Let’s assume a level 10 build and the UA Warforged for now.

Thanks for your input.

I also don't have the book so I can't say for sure about the Juggernaut, but I do think Zealot is easily refluffable, especially for a Warforged. Being easily brought back form the dead, and raging beyond death could both be refluffed as a backup or reboot system. The Radiant/Necrotic damage could be fluffed as a Warforged ability too, or if you really too concerned about it, just make the bonus damage Weapon damage instead (with DM approval of course).

Still I agree DKJ, If Juggernaut looks interesting, play it.

NiklasWB
2018-04-12, 02:21 AM
Thank you for the input guys. Just for a general reference (and I’m paraphrasing from what I remember):

Level 3: Once per turn (when raging) when you hit with a melee attack, the target has to make a Strength save or be pushed 5 feet away. If he is pushed, you can move 5 feet into his previous space.

Level 3: Cannot be knocked prone when raging.

Level 6: Siege ability (double damage to objects/buildings etc), and 1d8 extra damage to Constructs.

Level 10: Cleave-ability. When you make an attack (while raging), you can make another attack as a bonus action against a creature within 5 feet of the first target.

Level 14: When raging, can activate “Unstoppable”-mode. Immune to speed reducing effects, frightened, paralyzed, stunned. Can also be activated if already affected by the effects, suspending them until the end of rage. After the rage ends, you get one level of Exhaustion.

I think this really fits the Warforged siege-breaker I had in mind, and it feels pretty balanced compared to other Barbarian sub-classes.

I'm thinking about going great weapon master, and after that just pump STR to 20 and then CON to 20 (depending on what level we end up playing at). Might get Tough instead of one of the CON bumps also.

In terms of Armor I'm not sure if I should aim for Half-Plate or Unarmored... Starting with 16 CON and 14 DEX would give me either AC 18 (half-plate and +1 for warforged, but disadvantage on stealth), or AC 16 ( CON + DEX +1 for warforged, but no disadvantage to stealth). Eventually the Unarmored one will be greater than the half-plate one, but that is realistically not before level 16 or 19 (I think?), since I need to bump up STR and get great weapon master first. This is not taking into account any magic items of course.

DarkKnightJin
2018-04-12, 02:57 AM
Thank you for the input guys. Just for a general reference (and I’m paraphrasing from what I remember):

Level 3: Once per turn (when raging) when you hit with a melee attack, the target has to make a Strength save or be pushed 5 feet away. If he is pushed, you can move 5 feet into his previous space.

Level 3: Cannot be knocked prone when raging.

Level 6: Siege ability (double damage to objects/buildings etc), and 1d8 extra damage to Constructs.

Level 10: Cleave-ability. When you make an attack (while raging), you can make another attack as a bonus action against a creature within 5 feet of the first target.

Level 14: When raging, can activate “Unstoppable”-mode. Immune to speed reducing effects, frightened, paralyzed, stunned. Can also be activated if already affected by the effects, suspending them until the end of rage. After the rage ends, you get one level of Exhaustion.

I think this really fits the Warforged siege-breaker I had in mind, and it feels pretty balanced compared to other Barbarian sub-classes.

I'm thinking about going great weapon master, and after that just pump STR to 20 and then CON to 20 (depending on what level we end up playing at). Might get Tough instead of one of the CON bumps also.

In terms of Armor I'm not sure if I should aim for Half-Plate or Unarmored... Starting with 16 CON and 14 DEX would give me either AC 18 (half-plate and +1 for warforged, but disadvantage on stealth), or AC 16 ( CON + DEX +1 for warforged, but no disadvantage to stealth). Eventually the Unarmored one will be greater than the half-plate one, but that is realistically not before level 16 or 19 (I think?), since I need to bump up STR and get great weapon master first. This is not taking into account any magic items of course.

Unless you plan on being a sneaky bucket-o'-bolts, might as well snag you the Half-plate. Maybe bump Dex to a 15 and grab Medium Armor Master, so you lose the Stealth Disadvantage, and you get to add +3 from Dex.

I personally wouldn't worry about Stealth too much. That's what Rogues are for, after all.
It'd fit the theme, too. "Sneaking? Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, [expletive]?!"

What use does a siege weapon have for tiptoeing around?