PDA

View Full Version : New Dm, running oota

Mwitwk
2018-04-11, 09:01 AM
So I'm a new dm, I've ran pathfinder games, but the group fell apart (personal lives made gaming inpossible) so the campaign ended. I am running the out of the abyss module, and yes before someone tells me it's not a good module for a new dm to run, I have read the entire book, and filled in the blanks with key additive flavor. Other then that I'm allowing the pcs to run however they feel, other then the obvious helpful tips I can give them. But now we have reached my dilemma, the players have created their character, we have a wizard, a fighter, a bard, and a Ranger. So I have debated on building an npc cleric, that just strictly heals them when they are in need. My only question is how would you guys go about doing that? I'm not trying to play as a pc all the time, but if the need arises I need the ability to heal them. I am looking for suggestions from race to skills and everything in between. Thank you in advance for any help

Avonar
2018-04-11, 09:05 AM
I would STRONGLY recommend against this. Having played Out of the Abyss to completion very recently it is about survival and fighting against the odds. The characters are a small group trying to survive together.

A DMPC I think would hurt the dynamic. We nearly died a few times and that's the point. Don't make it easy on the players for no reason.

They have a Bard, therefore they have access to healing. If you're that worried, let them find healing potions or the like.

Dudewithknives
2018-04-11, 09:08 AM
The group should be ok, bards can heal fine, ranger gets healing spirit later, if you have to just have Jimjar know a few healing spells.

Unoriginal
2018-04-11, 10:02 AM
You don't *need* to heal them. PC should handle their survival without the DM bailing them out, and should be able to do so.

If you *want* to give them a healer, just take the Priest NPC statblock, applies the relevant racial modifiers, and have this NPC become a companion of the PCs (ex: have them be in the Drow slave pen at the start).

SirGraystone
2018-04-11, 11:05 AM
I wouldn't put a DMPC either, if healing is needed and they can't find store to buy healing potions, you can introduce plants, mushroom or fungus with healing properties.