PDA

View Full Version : Hexblade/Paladin of Eilistraee

tmjr6
2018-04-11, 09:42 AM
Hello,

The playgroup I'm in is playing through the Tyranny of Dragons Module, potentially starting in the Lost Mines of Phandelver module. We don't have a guarantee that we'll go to level 20, but there are strong hints that we might go to the Nine Hells to defeat Tiamat for good after the completion of the official story. I was originally going to play a hexblade/blood hunter, but while the flavor was good it statistically wasn't viable. Still wanting to play a hexblade I went back to the drawing board, and came up with this idea:

Daeren Kerramos, is a half drow holy knight of Eilistraee. On his holy quest he had a vision that a weapon made by Eilistraee was corrupted by Lolth and given to one of Tiamat's servants, the mighty greatsword "Transcendence" now known as "Hazirawn." What Daeren did not know that the vision he was given came from Lolth and while it is true that the sword was once made by Eilistraee, it is now a devout follower of the Matron of Spiders. By excepting this quest, Ser Kerramos has unknowingly made a pact with Lolth as she slowly tries to corrupt one of her daughter's most devout warriors.

We rolled for stats and my stats are in order as follows: 15, 12, 16, 13, 9, 19. These stats are locked in, they are nonnegotiable at this point. I want to take my first level in paladin, not just for roleplay reasons, but also for the heavy armor proficiency. Eventually I will be multiclassing into warlock for hexblade. I was wondering, how many levels I should put into paladin? If I do go enough levels deep into paladin to choose an oath, I will be taking the Oath of the Ancients since that matches best with Eilistraee. Any idea the best way to go about this while leveling up?

Thanks!

Malifice
2018-04-11, 10:30 AM
I would have thought a Champion of Elistraee would be better suited as a Sword Bard (plus maybe Hexblade).

Swords bard 11, Paladin 6, Monk (Kensai) 3 works for the +Dex to hit and damage longsword wielding, smiting, dancing, no armor wearing type.

Blade dancer as well.

tmjr6
2018-04-11, 11:12 AM
I would have thought a Champion of Elistraee would be better suited as a Sword Bard (plus maybe Hexblade).

The hexblade is due to backstory, but I haven't considered blades bard. I was considering paladin since I planned on using a greatsword, and my DM already gave the ok for me to use Hazirawn with Pact of the Blade when I get that feature.

Ali_face
2018-04-11, 11:18 AM
Generally, follow the MC build advice for the Scorodin,

Paladin until 6/7th level (depending on oath) and then break for Warlock... 2 attacks/ round, and Aura are too good to pass up or delay.

Paladin 11 is another great break point, bc of Improved Divine Smite.

Bardlocks are also viable, but are more nimble and skill based characters than they are beaters. Dont get me wrong, theyre effective in combat as a striker/ debuffer than they are a tank.

EDIT:

Keep in mind, that without the early level Hexblade dip, for most of your career you will be relying on your 15 STR for hit/dmg.

You could go Pal 1 for Hvy Armor Prof, then got Hexblade level 2, for CHA to attack/dmg, then back to Paladin until 6/7/11