PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Starting with a fluff magic item?

pwning doodes
2018-04-11, 11:31 AM
I'm designing a Wizard PC, and I thought it would be cool if her staff could magically break in half for emergency dual-wielding hitting-things-with-sticks action. It would end up being d4 x2 for the two club-equivalents instead of 1d10 for a two-handed staff attack. I just thought it would be cool, but is this a reasonable item to start with at level 1? Is it more powerful than I think? Is it a problem that Wizards are only proficient in Long Sticks, not Shorter Sticks?

JackPhoenix
2018-04-11, 12:09 PM
Ask your GM, not us. Only he can tell you what he considers reasonable in his game.

That said... I see no reason why would it have to be magic item. Just design some sort of mechanical lock or screw to hold the two halves together, done. It's not a problem that wizard isn't proficient with clubs, you just won't add your proficiency bonus to hit, in addition to not adding your ability mod to the off-hand attack (due to dual wielding rules). Trying to melee with a (non-bladesinger or multiclassed) wizard already isn't the best idea.

KorvinStarmast
2018-04-11, 12:13 PM
I'm designing a Wizard PC, and I thought it would be cool if her staff could magically break in half for emergency dual-wielding hitting-things-with-sticks action. It would end up being d4 x2 for the two club-equivalents instead of 1d10 for a two-handed staff attack. I just thought it would be cool, but is this a reasonable item to start with at level 1? Is it more powerful than I think? Is it a problem that Wizards are only proficient in Long Sticks, not Shorter Sticks? First off, two handed staff damage is 1d8 not 1d10.
Secondly, a dagger does 1d4. Why not wield two daggers? Wizard is proficient.

Weapons: Daggers, darts, slings, quarterstaffs, light crossbows
PS I never thought it was a good idea that wizard be proficient with a light crossbow. They have cantrips. :smallyuk: But they are proficient.

ImproperJustice
2018-04-11, 12:22 PM
Which raises a great question:

Why isn’t everyone proficient with clubs?

I mean, I’m pretty sure my five year old can hit things with stick with suprisiing effectiveness.

What happens to Wizards that they lose out on this valuable life skill?

Nifft
2018-04-11, 12:27 PM
Which raises a great question:

Why isn’t everyone proficient with clubs?

I mean, I’m pretty sure my five year old can hit things with stick with suprisiing effectiveness.

What happens to Wizards that they lose out on this valuable life skill?

Wizards are nerds, so nobody took them clubbing.

Unoriginal
2018-04-11, 12:29 PM
I'm designing a Wizard PC, and I thought it would be cool if her staff could magically break in half for emergency dual-wielding hitting-things-with-sticks action. It would end up being d4 x2 for the two club-equivalents instead of 1d10 for a two-handed staff attack. I just thought it would be cool, but is this a reasonable item to start with at level 1? Is it more powerful than I think? Is it a problem that Wizards are only proficient in Long Sticks, not Shorter Sticks?

Having a magic weapon as you start the game is pretty strong, yes. Even a Moon-Touched Sword, which is a Common magic item, is still probably worth around all of a PC's starting equipment at minimum.