PDA

View Full Version : Warshaper "form other than her own"

schreier
2018-04-11, 12:00 PM
The Warshaper abilities generally only apply when "in a form other than her own."
I know there is some discussion as to whether the changeling power counts, as it is more of a disguise self, but I am curious how this is often interpreted.

Would the Collar of Umbral Metamorphosis count? It adds a template, which seems like it would be a different form. Just generally trying to figure out how much "other" the form has to be.

Zombulian
2018-04-11, 12:26 PM
The Warshaper abilities generally only apply when "in a form other than her own."
I know there is some discussion as to whether the changeling power counts, as it is more of a disguise self, but I am curious how this is often interpreted.

Would the Collar of Umbral Metamorphosis count? It adds a template, which seems like it would be a different form. Just generally trying to figure out how much "other" the form has to be.

So I think Changelings definitely qualify to *enter* the class by virtue of their (Shapechanger) subtype. The question is if their racial ability activates the class abilities. I don't know about that one.
Does the collar give the character an ability that qualifies them for the class?
Or do you mean a Changeling with the collar?

Venger
2018-04-11, 12:29 PM

changeling's minor change shape absolutely counts as "a form other than your own."

collar of umbral metamorphosis if you have the cheap version your gm will probably say yes, if you have the permanent one, then the gm might say "that's your form all the time, so that's your natural form."

Nifft
2018-04-11, 12:31 PM
Would the Collar of Umbral Metamorphosis count? It adds a template, which seems like it would be a different form. Just generally trying to figure out how much "other" the form has to be. Not all templates change your form, so adding a template isn't a guaranteed pass. It's not a guaranteed fail, either.

From a flavor perspective, it seems like the Warshaper is all about augmenting your combat abilities when you change into a more combat-oriented shape.

Is the Dark template a change in shape into a more combat-oriented form? Maybe, kinda, but not clearly.

I'd talk to your DM.

Troacctid
2018-04-11, 12:34 PM
collar of umbral metamorphosis if you have the cheap version your gm will probably say yes, if you have the permanent one, then the gm might say "that's your form all the time, so that's your natural form."
Upon reviewing the item, I'd agree with this interpretation.

schreier
2018-04-11, 12:54 PM
If you rule wearing the collar is your "normal form" if you have the permanent version, is it another form if you take it off? I could just put it on for combat (so perpetual, but not always on) - that seems like it should be treated like the activation one.

When you think about it, you may not want to walk around always shadowy and scary.

Jowgen
2018-04-11, 01:50 PM
Ask yourself this: would wearing "Proof Against Transmutation" armor prevent the effect in question?

If so, then I'd say Warshaper is go. Also, I recently did a thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?552498-Warshaper-entry-via-touchstone-and-sustained-use-via-Transmutation-effects) on just this, turned up quite the list of things.