PDA

View Full Version : Sneak Mage

Azazel_Unbound
2018-04-11, 01:49 PM
Does anyone know any good builds, and spell selection, for a sneak mage? My first thoughts drift to that of the sorcerer and their subtle spell. Thoughts?

Specter
2018-04-11, 03:54 PM
Even with Sorcerer, I would still take a level of Rogue for Expertise in Stealth. Cunning Action is also important for casting and hiding in the same turn. As a matter of fact, Lore Bard might even be better because they can cut enemies' Perception checks and eventually even boost their own with superiority dice.

Seekergeek
2018-04-11, 04:03 PM
I absolutely expected this to be another Nameless King thread under a different name. Sneaky Mage is one of his go-to's, isn't it?

Either way, I'd think about Sorcerer along with whisper bard, maybe? Trickery Cleric's shenanigans could also pair well but you'd be looking at being fairly MAD.

JellyPooga
2018-04-11, 05:25 PM
It depends on how much focus you want to put on "sneak" and "mage" respectively. A sneaky sneaky with a little magey might just go straight Arcane Trickster, whilst a "I'm a Wizard mind you" with a side of sneaky might go straight Sorcerer with Urchin Background.

For probably the easiest and likely most effective for that simplicity, I'd go Lore Bard 1-20. You've got full-casting of the control and buff spheres, Expertise for stealth, all the skills you might want and a lot of manipulation effects. On top of that, you can cherry pick the likes of Pass Without Trace to further enhance your sneaky-ness.

For an outfield suggestion; Druid. Druids have a high degree of versatility in the infiltration department and they also have Enhance Ability on their spell list; an extremely useful tool when it comes to skill checks that you can prepare for. Moon Druid gets a few additional options earlier, but I'd suggest Land Druid; more casting per day and versatility, as well as unaffected by terrain; definitely a better option.

That said, it's a vague question, so I'll give a vague answer; all of the following could be considered a "Sneak Mage":
- Bard
- Cleric (Trickster Domain)
- Druid
- Fighter (Eldritch Knight)(appropriate background and equipment/style choices)
- Monk (Shadow)
- Rogue (Arcane Trickster)
- Sorcerer (appropriate Background and style choices)
- Warlock (appropriate Background and style choices)
- Wizard (appropriate Background and style choices)
- Any combination of the above, added in with various dips/MC into Ranger and/or Paladin as desired

About the only Class that doesn't particularly fit the "Sneak Mage" criteria is Barbarian. You'll need to be more specific about what you want out of the character to get the answers you really want.

Aett_Thorn
2018-04-11, 06:09 PM
I absolutely expected this to be another Nameless King thread under a different name. Sneaky Mage is one of his go-to's, isn't it?

That was my first thought as well.

DivisibleByZero
2018-04-11, 07:22 PM
You can make any character sneaky.
Play whatever class you want to, and make him sneaky.

Dudewithknives
2018-04-11, 07:59 PM
You can make any character sneaky.
Play whatever class you want to, and make him sneaky.

Yeah, this.
Put points in dex, don't wear armor that gives disadvantage on stealth and if you really want it take prodigy, a level in rogue or 2 in bard or whatever and get expertise.

Heck, get boots and cape of elven kind if you really want to go overboard.

One of the stealthiest characters I ever played was a human barbarian with boots/cloak of elvenkind who took prodigy for expertise in stealth.

Pona
2018-04-11, 09:04 PM
The Nameless King is just the best sneaky mage. :smallbiggrin:

Azazel_Unbound
2018-04-12, 12:37 PM
Yeah, I suppose when I mentioned a sneak amge I should be a bit clearer. When I am thinking a "sneak mage" is someone proficient in stealt, noted above, but someone who is likely able to cast something killer without alerting many if anyone nearby. I'm actually kind of liking the bard and druid solutions since I'm leaning for a full caster. Sorcerer is still high on my list for subtle spell.

Thunderbird
2018-04-12, 12:44 PM
You might also like the Arcane Trickster's Magical Ambush ability, if you are willing to spend 9 levels on Rogue.

Specter
2018-04-12, 12:48 PM
Yeah, I suppose when I mentioned a sneak amge I should be a bit clearer. When I am thinking a "sneak mage" is someone proficient in stealt, noted above, but someone who is likely able to cast something killer without alerting many if anyone nearby. I'm actually kind of liking the bard and druid solutions since I'm leaning for a full caster. Sorcerer is still high on my list for subtle spell.

Arcane Trickster 9/Sorcerer 11. With Greater Invisibility, Cunning Action and Subtle Spell, you will want for nothing.