PDA

View Full Version : Sci-Fi [Starfinder] Mechanic's drone and equipment?

Foxhound438
2018-04-11, 05:09 PM
So as far as I can tell, there's nothing in the rules that prevents you from grabbing longarm proficiency on the tiny flying drone, putting a second weapon mount on it, and using a laser rifle or something like that.

And for that matter, I don't see anything explicitly disallows you from grabbing heavy weapon proficiency and sticking a tempest shock caster and shooting at a measly -2, while at the same time having a bunch of heavy reductive plating on the thing.

It certainly strains suspension of disbelief to say that your little RC helicopter can just slap a full rack of hellfire missiles on one side and fly just fine, but as far as I can see there's nothing that prevents it in game, seemingly not even bulk limitations (the drone gets to carry 3 bulk and most of the heavy weapons are only a bulk of 2...)

Is there something that I've missed, or is this legit?

Telok
2018-04-12, 01:50 AM
Is there something that I've missed, or is this legit?

A) Manoeuvrability average.
B) Size tiny.

We check the flight rules on page 259 and the acrobatics rules on page 135. Your drone must spend a move or swift action each round to remain aloft. Recall that your drone only has a single action unless you give it your actions. Thus it cannot both fly and do anything else at the same time until level 20 without your direct control being used to give it a move action, and it cannot get full attacks.

For size we reference the weapon size paragraph on page 168 and find out that weapons and ammo for a tiny size drone cost twice as much. Using an inappropriately sized weapon is an additional -4 to hit. Reference WBL on page 391, and the weapon chart on page 178. A 5th level character is supposed to have 9000 credits of stuff and loose change, a 5th level heavy weapon (there's only one) costs 3350 credits which doubles to 6700 credits for a tiny version plus 660 credits per tiny size battery for it.

I would suggest a stealth drone as it has a climb speed and you can fit it with jump jets or buy it a jet pack.

Foxhound438
2018-04-12, 08:34 AM
A) Manoeuvrability average.
B) Size tiny.

We check the flight rules on page 259 and the acrobatics rules on page 135. Your drone must spend a move or swift action each round to remain aloft. Recall that your drone only has a single action unless you give it your actions. Thus it cannot both fly and do anything else at the same time until level 20 without your direct control being used to give it a move action, and it cannot get full attacks.

For size we reference the weapon size paragraph on page 168 and find out that weapons and ammo for a tiny size drone cost twice as much. Using an inappropriately sized weapon is an additional -4 to hit. Reference WBL on page 391, and the weapon chart on page 178. A 5th level character is supposed to have 9000 credits of stuff and loose change, a 5th level heavy weapon (there's only one) costs 3350 credits which doubles to 6700 credits for a tiny version plus 660 credits per tiny size battery for it.

I would suggest a stealth drone as it has a climb speed and you can fit it with jump jets or buy it a jet pack.

Sweet, thanks for those details.

Arutema
2018-04-12, 12:11 PM
FAQratta (http://paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1hi#v5748eaic9vwl) says that drones mount standard-sized weapons regardless of size. Being unable to fly and full-attack is still a problem though.

Foxhound438
2018-04-12, 02:29 PM
FAQratta (http://paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1hi#v5748eaic9vwl) says that drones mount standard-sized weapons regardless of size. Being unable to fly and full-attack is still a problem though.

Eh, you can still just have the thing land if you think it's in a good spot. And on top of that, you already kind of get two attacks if you use the drone, so if you're in a good spot you can stand still and use your move action to give it a move action to stay aloft, then use an overcharged attack from yourself and a standard attack from the drone. That's probably about as good as a full attack, and without the -4.

Telok
2018-04-13, 12:27 AM

Yes, having a DM who uses errata is a major benefit. It shows that they are invested enough to actually put effort into the game, learn the rules, and (probably) not throw a hissy fit when the PCs renting an aircar negates some dumb brute critter fight.