PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A What breaks if a PC is an aberration instead of a humanoid?

PhoenixPhyre
2018-04-11, 06:48 PM
For a project I'm working on, I'm considering a feature that reads something like "Starting at level X, you count as an aberration instead of a humanoid" (along with some other, not relevant, features).

What does this change?

* Hold X spells require higher level variants (Hold Monster instead of Hold Person)
* Dominate X spells require higher level variants

Anything else?

Akolyte01
2018-04-11, 07:03 PM
For a project I'm working on, I'm considering a feature that reads something like "Starting at level X, you count as an aberration instead of a humanoid" (along with some other, not relevant, features).

What does this change?

* Hold X spells require higher level variants (Hold Monster instead of Hold Person)
* Dominate X spells require higher level variants

Anything else?

Can't get married (http://engl393-dnd5th.wikia.com/wiki/Ceremony)any more :smalltongue:

Aett_Thorn
2018-04-11, 07:22 PM
Can't get married (http://engl393-dnd5th.wikia.com/wiki/Ceremony)any more :smalltongue:

Can't come of age, either.

PhoenixPhyre
2018-04-11, 07:38 PM

Can't come of age, either.

Darn. That ruins everything.

Thanks. Anything else? Are there monster abilities that only work against humanoids (or don't particularly work against aberrations)?

Aett_Thorn
2018-04-11, 07:48 PM
Just running down through some wizard spells:

Charm Person can't affect you

You can be affected by Protection from Good and Evil

Crown of Madness can't affect you

Magic Jar can't affect you

etc.

Just a few spells out of the grand total, but they might mess up something here or there.

PhoenixPhyre
2018-04-11, 08:08 PM

etc.

Just a few spells out of the grand total, but they might mess up something here or there.

That gives me a good idea--working through the SRD, searching for "humanoid" in spells:

* Calm Emotions
* Charm Person
* Create Food and Water (you're neither a humanoid or a steed...a bit of an edge case, to be sure)
* Animate Dead/Create Undead (your corpse can't be used for these spells under at least one reading)
* Dominate Person (as noted)
* Finger of Death (can't turn you into a zombie)
* Hold Person (as noted)
* Magic Jar (as you noted)
* Reincarnate (ouch, but the other raise dead-type spells work)
* Simulacrum (beasts or humanoids only)

Looking for "aberration":
* Detect Evil and Good pings on you
* Protection from Evil and Good works against you
* Cloaker's Moan can't fear you

That seems to be everything from the SRD.

MaxWilson
2018-04-11, 08:13 PM

etc.

Also Reincarnate, Calm Emotions, and the zombie part of Finger of Death.

JackPhoenix
2018-04-12, 08:45 AM
You can't be turned into a zombie or skeleton through Animate Dead.

Naanomi
2018-04-12, 10:10 AM
Some rangers may have a harder time knowing information about you, while others may have an easier time... at very high levels this will effect combat bonuses as well

PhoenixPhyre
2018-04-12, 10:29 AM
Some rangers may have a harder time knowing information about you, while others may have an easier time... at very high levels this will effect combat bonuses as well

Does this really affect PCs though? Since most NPCs don't have the same class features and PvP is (relatively rare)?

Still something to keep in mind.

Naanomi
2018-04-12, 10:35 AM
Does this really affect PCs though? Since most NPCs don't have the same class features and PvP is (relatively rare)?

Still something to keep in mind.
Not unless PvP breaks out for some reason (dominated ally?)

OvisCaedo
2018-04-12, 11:57 AM
I suppose they'd be immune to a vampire's charm... I wonder just how many monster abilities HAVE humanoid targeting restrictions? I wouldn't imagine it's actually very many of them.

Grod_The_Giant
2018-04-12, 12:30 PM
So, basically, a bunch of niche cases. Would be fine as a special feature, methinks. Most of the problems you got in 3.5 with weird-typed PCs had to do with intended-for-monsters rules that no longer exist.

RSP
2018-04-12, 12:49 PM
If it helps in your weighing the impact, a 3rd level Wizard can get these same benefits using Nystul's Magic Aura ("You choose a creature type and other spells and magical effects treat the target as if it were a creature of that type"), so I don't think it'll be too broken.

PhoenixPhyre
2018-04-12, 01:04 PM
So, basically, a bunch of niche cases. Would be fine as a special feature, methinks. Most of the problems you got in 3.5 with weird-typed PCs had to do with intended-for-monsters rules that no longer exist.

Good. That's what I thought, but I wanted to be sure. It's almost an entirely ribbon feature--the meat of that one is immunity to poison and unwilling shapeshifting (so offensive polymorph). Truth be told, I was only wary because I've read lots of people trying to get other creature types in 3.5 and having strange interactions.

If it helps in your weighing the impact, a 3rd level Wizard can get these same benefits using Nystul's Magic Aura ("You choose a creature type and other spells and magical effects treat the target as if it were a creature of that type"), so I don't think it'll be too broken.

Good to know. Yeah, I'm not worried about it at this point.

Thanks everyone!

OvisCaedo
2018-04-12, 01:14 PM

It's written kind of poorly in the second half, but the beginning of that section suggests that it's only supposed to have this effect on "detection" type spells and effects. I guess you could argue the fact that it doesn't repeat this specification could mean it's not actually relevant?

edit: it's also a 2nd level spell, though that doesn't really matter much

RSP
2018-04-12, 01:17 PM
It's written kind of poorly in the second half, but the beginning of that section suggests that it's only supposed to have this effect on "detection" type spells and effects. I guess you could argue the fact that it doesn't repeat this specification could mean it's not actually relevant?

edit: it's also a 2nd level spell, though that doesn't really matter much

I'll agree it's a horribly written spell.

Asmotherion
2018-04-12, 01:25 PM

Not profiting from Marriage and not being able to getting married are two completelly different things. Ask the average 50 Year old person, and they might as well consider themselves Aberations by this standard :P

On the other hand, this gives a very diferent perspective on Goldigers and Gigolos respectively. Those humanoids are hardcore optimisers :P

Greywander
2018-04-12, 01:59 PM
You can't be turned into a zombie or skeleton through Animate Dead.
So how does one create a zombie beholder then?

PhoenixPhyre
2018-04-12, 02:02 PM

Not through animate dead. Probably through a major ritual or demonic action. That's a key thing--the spells in the book aren't all the spells out there. They're a small subset that's balanced for routine use.

JackPhoenix
2018-04-12, 04:54 PM

"As a beholder ages, it spends more and more time worrying about its mortality. The dreams of such a death-fearing beholder might reach into strange corners of reality and imagine circumstances in which the creature can live on after death."

-Volo's Guide to Monsters

Granted, that's Death Tyrant, not zombie, but the process may be similar. Otherwise, see PhoenixPhyre.

PhoenixPhyre
2018-04-12, 05:06 PM
"As a beholder ages, it spends more and more time worrying about its mortality. The dreams of such a death-fearing beholder might reach into strange corners of reality and imagine circumstances in which the creature can live on after death."

-Volo's Guide to Monsters

Granted, that's Death Tyrant, not zombie, but the process may be similar. Otherwise, see PhoenixPhyre.

Not to mention the cases of spontaneous zombification due to ambient necromantic energy.