PDA

View Full Version : She's got a ticket to ride...

CockroachTeaParty
2007-09-01, 08:49 PM
We all know and love (or despise) the various fantastic modes of transportation available to characters in the Eberron campaign setting, but after doing some calculations using a map of Khorvaire, the prices listed in the ECS, and some of the tables in the 'Carrying and Exploration' section of the SRD, I discovered some interesting things.

Let's say you are in Korranberg, and you want to travel to Sharn to... I dunno, crash a pie-eating contest. Here's how much it would cost you to get there, using the various transportation services available:

You first might consider using the teleportation service provided by House Orien. It's roughly 937 miles from Korranberg to Sharn as the crow flies, so at the established rate of 10 gp per mile, it would cost you 9370 gp to teleport there. Ouch. Assuming you could find a 9th level wizard to cast teleport for you, it would only cost you 450 gp according to the SRD, but you're in Zilargo, and would rather not be in debt to some creepy little midget with contacts in the Trust, so you consider your other options...

You look to the sky, and see the inspiring sight of an airship arriving in town. Brilliant! However, you realize that at the rate of 1 gp per mile, it's still going to cost you a hefty 937 gp. The trip would take just under two days, assuming you weren't raided by sky pirates (which happens a lot when adventurers ride airships). That's 46 hours worth of traveling, assuming the weather's clear and you don't have to wait to dock at Sharn's busy airship hub. That 450 gp instantaneous teleport spell is starting to look a little nicer. Maybe that creepy little gnome really is a jolly, kind person? Wait, no, he's got platinum rings on each finger. What else is available?

Aha! The lightning rail! It's the fastest vehicle in the world, reaching break-neck speeds of 30 mph! And at 5 sp per mile, it'll be cheaper than the airship, right? Then you look at your map, realizing that the lightning rail lines go north from Korranberg, then through most of northeastern Breland before going south to Sharn. A ticket from Korranberg to Sharn on lightning rail would come in around 1,233 gp and 5 sp, even more expensive than the airship, and the trip would take about 3 1/2 days. The thought of sitting in a cramped booth that reeks of ozone next to some whiny House Medani scion upset that his toast is burnt sounds worse than walking through the Demon Wastes naked, covered in fire ants.

Discouraged, you smell the salt on the air... The ocean! Surely, a House Lyrandar elemental galleon is the solution! It's roughly 1,200 miles from Korranberg to Sharn, following the coast and then going up the Dagger River a bit. At 5 sp per mile, a trip on a galleon would cost you 600 gp, the trip taking 2 1/2 days assuming smooth waters, clear skies, and no sahaugin. Better than the lightning rail, but still more expensive than that friggin' teleport spell from the evil Aurum gnome.

Well, you could downgrade from a galleon to a soarwood sailing ship crewed by dragonmarked Lyrandar sailors. That would only cost 360 gp, but the trip would take more than a week, taking 8 1/3 days, and the longer you're on the water, the greater the chances of a random encounter with a kraken or dire shark. A mundane ship would only cost 120 gp, but the trip would take just under a month, and the pie-eating contest would be over by then.

If you stick to the Orien trade routes and walk there on your own two feet, assuming a base land speed of 30 ft., the trip would take several weeks, and while free, it means walking through most of Zilargo alone. You're not about to wander through a mafioso version of the Shire any time soon, so it looks like you're stuck with either the elemental galleon or that scheming gnome wizard. You kick yourself for not playing a caster. No, you had to be a friggin' half-drow soulborn / samurai / kensai, just to be different. Maybe next time you can play a half-elf... what's that one class that lets you get an airship? *sigh*

PaladinBoy
2007-09-01, 08:54 PM
It's windwright captain. My character is going to take levels in it. :smallbiggrin:

And yes, the transportation prices can be a little astonishing. Our group figured that out when we tried to get first-class lightning rail tickets from Sharn to Flamekeep. Luckily, we manage to convince them to give us a discount by threating to check the Lyrandar airship schedules. Then, after we'd paid and had our tickets, my character "accidentally" showed them his Mark of Storm. Boy were they mad. :biggrin:

Citizen Joe
2007-09-01, 09:08 PM
Don't forget to add one day to your travel because of this:

This cost assumes that you can go to the spellcaster and have the spell cast at his or her convenience (generally at least 24 hours later, so that the spellcaster has time to prepare the spell in question)

Possibly even more time to find the wizard in the first place. From what I've heard about Eberron, 9th level is pretty high.

Additionally, the wizard should actually be 10th level to get past the 937 miles. Also that wizard needs to be familiar with Sharn. Finally, he's gonna want to come back afterwards so you'll have to foot the bill for two way travel. That's 500 each way (whether you return or not). Total cost 1000 gp, travel time 1 day (to prep the proper spells). Mishap is still possible. On the plus side, you could bring two friends or your horse with you for that price. If you put up your wizard hireling during the party (maybe he wanted to stop by Morgrave for a seminar or lecture) then you can catch a lift back to Korranberg afterwards.

DraPrime
2007-09-01, 09:16 PM
And that my good people, is why Eberron sucks if you want to go anywhere.

CockroachTeaParty
2007-09-01, 09:29 PM
Well, I suppose that makes a campaign set only in Sharn that much more attractive...

Citizen Joe
2007-09-01, 09:39 PM
If you can work your way around the 10 minute air supply, your could jump into a portable hole and send it via Kundarak safe deposit box to Sharn. Then climb out. If they work fast on the transfers, then even 10 minutes is plenty of time. Just don't try it near closing on friday afternoon.

CASTLEMIKE
2007-09-01, 09:43 PM
I use the Wayfarer Guide PRC from Complete Arcane or Tome and Blood for the rates charged by House Orien and prorate the price if allowing other travellers to accompany for a full load.

PCs are normally able to travel in 1D4 days (2D4 days to Stormreach Xendrik from Sharn as unusually popular for avoiding the dangers and lengthy tedious journey by most other methods) to most cities and metropolis normally 2,800 or 3,000 miles just using the House Orien Astral Beacons at all house enclaves with standard ranges to a Lightning Rail station near a desired destination as per the Explorer's Handbook.

Don't forget most Orien Wayfarers would have access to a +4 Dragon Mark Focus (12,000 GP Market) which would grant them a CL of 18 as a DMH-4 and CL 19 as a DMH-5 at 100 miles a level or double using the Astral beacons.

Most Orien Greater or Siberys Heirs (the same for other Houses) would also probably have a "Loaned" House Orien Dragonshard Reservoir (50,000 GP) which would help explain those "Freebie" Greater Dragonmark Favors availbable in game.

CockroachTeaParty
2007-09-01, 09:51 PM
If you can work your way around the 10 minute air supply, your could jump into a portable hole and send it via Kundarak safe deposit box to Sharn. Then climb out. If they work fast on the transfers, then even 10 minutes is plenty of time. Just don't try it near closing on friday afternoon.

Brilliant! Problem solved! Now... where's an artificer that can make me a portable hole and a bottle of air? Hmm... more gnomes.

*the Godfather theme starts playing*

CASTLEMIKE
2007-09-01, 09:57 PM

I agree and people have problems with House Orien having a permanent portal network between the cities and metropolis. Quick and dirty permanent Teleportation Circle from the PHB or Craft Wonderous Item as per FRCS mechanics with a level 15 artificer in the past. Elemental vessels are currently being manufactured in game without the artificer's to make them as per Keith's ECS dragonshard article on the subject at Wizards.

Shrink Item might do the trick.

Citizen Joe
2007-09-01, 11:37 PM
You may need to turn yourself into a sandwich before moving this way.

Jerthanis
2007-09-02, 02:33 AM
Well, I suppose that makes a campaign set only in Sharn that much more attractive...

That way you can crash all the pie-eating contests you want!

Also, yes, fast travel can be expensive. Air-pirates are a problem... but there's an easily presentable solution to the problem... become an Air-pirate yourself. Think about the fringe benefits: You get to be a dashing rogue, perhaps with a dash of devil-may-care... You get to harry other Airships full of adventurers who probably have good magic stuff to take (invariably)... You get to traverse the world at your leisure, rather than spending a king's ransom on a one way ticket, and last but not least, as many damsels in distress as you can swish a rapier at!

Wraithy
2007-09-02, 02:52 AM
as many damsels in distress as you can swish a rapier at!

Warforged:your organic reproductive systems confuse me!
I do not understand why you would want to go anywhere else, tedious menial labor can be performed anywhere! I will return to my wittling!

Jack Mann
2007-09-02, 03:38 AM
Travel is generally expensive in any D&D setting, not just Eberron. Eberron just offers more choices for being overcharged.

This is because the designers don't want travel to be easy until you have teleport. They want players to wander around on and off the roads, coming across isolated villages, exploring strange ruins, and getting attacked by everything in the monster manual.

Expect this to be even more true in 4th edition.

lord_khaine
2007-09-02, 03:40 AM
artificiers isnt needet for crafting those flying ships, as i understand it there is a npc class who is perfectly able to do that.

Kaelik
2007-09-02, 03:41 AM
Do Warforged need to breathe? Seems like they could take advantage of the whole portable hole gimic.

Morty
2007-09-02, 06:08 AM
Isn't fast travel in fantasy setting being expensive kind of normal and expected?

kpenguin
2007-09-02, 06:24 AM
Expect this to be even more true in 4th edition.

Indeed, especially with this "points of light" rubbish they go on about.

bosssmiley
2007-09-02, 06:40 AM
Wait. Wut? You mean you don't handwave and 'red line across the map' travel in your Eberron games? Have you actually watched any of the "Indiana Jones" films? :smallconfused:

Oh, and there's something you seem to have overlooked in your "teleport pwnzorz bound elemental craft" screed: baggage allowances. How exactly is one supposed to transport those valuable, skittish and big magebred thoroughbred horses to the annual Sharntucky Derby with teleport? :smallwink:

Citizen Joe
2007-09-02, 10:46 AM
You don't get the whole ship/train for the designated amounts. That is per medium (and small) sized person with their standard carrying capacity in stuff. Teleport allows 1 medium sized creature per 3 caster levels in addition to the caster who teleports as well. A horse counts as 2 'people' Thus a typical, just capable of casting teleport wizard can teleport himself plus a mounted passenger.

CASTLEMIKE
2007-09-02, 11:05 AM
Reduce, Mass Reduce and Shrink Item.

CASTLEMIKE
2007-09-02, 11:20 AM
Aha! The lightning rail! It's the fastest vehicle in the world, reaching break-neck speeds of 30 mph! And at 5 sp per mile, it'll be cheaper than the airship, right? Then you look at your map, realizing that the lightning rail lines go north from Korranberg, then through most of northeastern Breland before going south to Sharn. A ticket from Korranberg to Sharn on lightning rail would come in around 1,233 gp and 5 sp, even more expensive than the airship, and the trip would take about 3 1/2 days. The thought of sitting in a cramped booth that reeks of ozone next to some whiny House Medani scion upset that his toast is burnt sounds worse than walking through the Demon Wastes naked, covered in fire ants.

Don't forget that First Class trip is 5 SP a mile. Standard is 2 Sp a mile and Steerage is 3 CP a mile.

Favored in House Orien or Lyrandrar favors:

DC10 A voucher for 1000 miles worth of travel by lightning rail (Standard Cart) for FiH Orien. Free one way passage any distance for four characters on a Lyrandrar sailing ship for FiH Lyrandrar.

DC 15 A voucher for 2000 miles worth of travel by lightning rail (First Class). Lyrandrar increases to an elemental vessel for four passengers.

DC 20 Free use of a chartered lightning rail passenger cart and crew for 1 day (As regulated by the DM). Lyrandrar increases to air ship for four passengers.

DC 25 increases chartered lightning rail passenger cart to 1 week. Lyrandrar gets to charter an air ship for a week.

So don't need the expensive ship or PRC just a feat or two among PCs.

Members of House Orien travelling on house or guild business ride the lightning rail for free.

Members of the house can travel with the caravans for free at anytime and can travel twice yearly by lightning rail on personal business at no cost.

Lyrandrar house benefits members can get free passage by working during a trip or a 50% discount for themselves and companions if they wish to travel as guests.

martyboy74
2007-09-02, 12:37 PM
You could hire a Teleport Object, and just have everyone (and everyone's stuff/mounts) get into a Portable Hole for only 910 gold. This does, however, require finding a 13th level wizard.

NerfTW
2007-09-02, 01:36 PM
You're missing the fact that 937 miles is a long way to travel in a medieval society, even one with a train system. That's about a third of the way across the US, say, from California to Colorodo. Even with trains, it was expensive to move yourself out west back during the gold rush.

I think the prices sound about accurate, considering the average citizen isn't going to ever need to travel that far.

Edit- Or even better, it's almost the exact distance from London England to Rome Italy. Which as I recall, is one of the reasons the Roman Empire was having such a hard time holding on to the British Isles.

OneWinged4ngel
2007-09-02, 10:15 PM
I believe it is worth noting that the map in the ECS has been said to be *wrong* by the designers (A result of some mistake or other... it was a while ago so I don't recall the precise details). I talked to Keith about it myself, and he said "while he can't give an official answer, he suggests reducing the scale by 3 or 4 times to be more fitting in terms of population to area and travelling, adjusted according to what you feel is appropriate to your campaign."

*Shrug*

CASTLEMIKE
2007-09-03, 02:24 AM
I believe it is worth noting that the map in the ECS has been said to be *wrong* by the designers (A result of some mistake or other... it was a while ago so I don't recall the precise details). I talked to Keith about it myself, and he said "while he can't give an official answer, he suggests reducing the scale by 3 or 4 times to be more fitting in terms of population to area and travelling, adjusted according to what you feel is appropriate to your campaign."

*Shrug*

That makes a lot of sense. According to the ECS map scale it is over 500 miles between Sharn and Wroat while it is only supposed to be a little over 200 miles via the lightning rail and the Explorer's Handbook.

Citizen Joe
2007-09-03, 06:03 AM
I think the scale is set to 1 pixel (on the digital Khorvaire map) is 1 mile. I'm more curious about why tiny villages and thorps are listed on the map. Normally, they just put large cities on the map and let the DMs put in the small villages where needed. But when some villages appear on the map, one wonders if all the villages are listed, of which there are very few.

EDIT: just took another peak at the map. Distances on the rail and along the trade roads are listed next to the routes. So changing the scale won't help that they are flat out stated in distance.

NerfTW
2007-09-03, 07:24 AM
You can still shrink the trade route distances by the same factor that you're shrinking the map.

Or, you know, house rule things.

OneWinged4ngel
2007-09-03, 01:18 PM
Or, you know, house rule things.

Exactly. This is an easy solution, and one that has been repeatedly endorsed on the Eberron boards by the setting's designer himself whenever this very same issue has come up (because, as I already mentioned, it's been said that the maps are mistaken)

That makes a lot of sense. According to the ECS map scale it is over 500 miles between Sharn and Wroat while it is only supposed to be a little over 200 miles via the lightning rail and the Explorer's Handbook.

Not only that, but the figures for population density are pretty ridiculous if you crunch the numbers relevant to the vast area. IIRC, this is how it originally came up (and got pointed out as a mistake) on the Eberron boards. Or one of the ways it came up (It's come up quite a few times, since, you know, WotC doesn't like to errata things ^^;; )