PDA

View Full Version : Damange resistance and magical weapons

Lorsa
2018-04-12, 12:19 AM
I'm sure this has been asked many times before, but I am too lazy to google the proper thread...

I seem to remember reading somewhere the magical weapons can overcome damage resistance (unless the resistance is to magical). Is this true? And more specifically, does it affect things like a Barbarians resistance to bludgeoning, slashing and piercing? So that a magical weapon would do damage as normal on them?

Or do I get my editions mixed up?

hymer
2018-04-12, 12:26 AM
It depends on the ability. The resistance to weapon damage from barbarian rage, e.g., works against both magical and nonmagical weapons. Resistance from a stoneskin spell, on the other hand, only works against nonmagical weapons.

Kane0
2018-04-12, 12:27 AM
The source of resistance usually tells you which one it is. For example raging barbarians resist all B/P/S damage magical or not, whereas say a Grick resists only nonmagical weapon damage. Even +0 magic weapons will deal will deal full damage to them. Relatively few creatures are resistant to magical weapon damage.

hymer
2018-04-12, 12:53 AM
The source of resistance usually tells you which one it is. For example raging barbarians resist all B/P/S damage magical or not, whereas say a Grick resists only nonmagical weapon damage. Even +0 magic weapons will deal will deal full damage to them. Relatively few creatures are resistant to magical weapon damage.

*does shadowmonk dance* :smallwink: