PDA

View Full Version : You shall not pass! - Help me build an annoying tank

Smiting Duck
2018-04-12, 01:18 AM
Hey! I'm trying to build the classic sentinel pole arm master combination (feats) and I'm trying to max it. The basic idea now is a conquest paladin multiclassing into hexblade warlock for four levels. Maybe I'll pick up great weapon master later.

That's my idea. Now I want to know how to get this even better or alternatively if there are better builds to achieve my goal of being an zone of death.

utopus
2018-04-12, 01:23 AM
Ancestral guardian barbarian (xgte) would probably do a better job at keeping bad guys away from your allies imo

JohanOfKitten
2018-04-12, 03:12 AM
Take proefficiency in athletics (or acrobatics, but a STR skill seems to be better in a paladin build).

Grapple is one of the few tools in DM's hand to deal with a high-AC high-HP tank blocking the way/corridor repeatously, and it's possible with every monsters you face.
When grappled, you lost the ability to dodge. The ennemy can move you to free the way, isolated you from the group, get access to backliners...

Even with great armor and strong bonus to saving throws, you're facing a grapple contest with only 1d20+Athletic.

Make it big. ;)

Asmotherion
2018-04-12, 03:33 AM
The most effectibe "Tank" I've ever played was a Hexblade 3/Abjuration Wizard X. Cha>Con>Dex>/=Int>13. Use the Tough Feat for more HP.

The reason is mostly because, he was not only able to fend for himself greatly, both in Melee and Ranged Combat, but also protect his allies through Buffs and his Ward for a great deal of the Encounter, and refreash it on a regular basis.

I used to Circle Self Buffs like Armor of Agathys to Recharge my Ward (gaining Temporary HP and a baleful effect if the enemy hits me), and use my Ward to protect my allies most of the time, using Eldritch Blast or Booming Blade to Attack.

HolyAvenger7
2018-04-12, 10:44 AM
The Oath of the Crown Paladin will compel them to target you.

The Oath of Conquest Paladin (Add Mace of Terror for fun) will leave them cowering in fear to be picked off one by one.

Specter
2018-04-12, 07:28 PM
As stated before, Crown is better than Conquest. And unless it has been errata'd, that Channel Divinity costs no action.

Also it gets Spirit Guardians, which is an amazing tank spell.

JellyPooga
2018-04-12, 08:23 PM
A little Rogue goes a long way.

It may not be Polearm-wielding, but Whip has both the Finesse and Reach properties; it offers the same area of control as a Polearm, but also qualifies for Sneak Attack. Off-turn Sneak Attacks are a scary prospect and even with as little investment as 5 levels of Rogue, your Whip is dealing 1d4+3d6 (average: 13) damage without Ability Score modifiers; much better than the 1d10 a Polearm offers as an Opportunity Attack. Additionally, a Whip is one-handed, allowing you to utilise a shield or grapples much easier. A Rogue armed with a whip and the Sentinel feat can offer a credible threat to level appropriate challenges by dint of having the hardest hitting OA going, making him hard to ignore once the opposition catch on. Add Expertise in Athletics for both resisting and making grapples, Cunning Action to be exactly where you need to be to offer the highest level of threat, Uncanny Dodge for when the opposition takes the bait and attacks you and, at higher levels of Rogue investment, Evasion for caring as much about friendly AoE fire as you do about enemy AoE's (i.e. you don't). That's not even considering Archetype.

Hexblade Warlock/Rogue, Barbarian/Rogue, Fighter/Rogue and Paladin/Rogue are all potent battlefield controllers/tanks and offer the proficiency in whip you need to make it work, not to mention mixing and matching any of the above or dipping elsewhere to cherry pick abilities (e.g. Arcane Ward from Abjurer).

Citan
2018-04-15, 10:55 AM
Hey! I'm trying to build the classic sentinel pole arm master combination (feats) and I'm trying to max it. The basic idea now is a conquest paladin multiclassing into hexblade warlock for four levels. Maybe I'll pick up great weapon master later.

That's my idea. Now I want to know how to get this even better or alternatively if there are better builds to achieve my goal of being an zone of death.
Hi!

Well, being a tank means 1) making "attack you" the best course of action for enemies, one way or another and 2) sustaining the threat either because you have high AC, or high HP, or other ways to reduce damage (and as much as possible 3) being impervious to ways to make you useless such as restraining you or turning you against allies).

The most basic way to get threat is to be the only target "in range". For melee attackers it's relatively easy enough at first, but then if you're too tough to crack they'll rather try to circumvent you, so if you don't have ways to keep them it's your loss.
- Shoving them is a good "free" way to reduce their effective reach so they prefer stand and attack you instead of stand and Dash.
- Grappling is the best "free" way to keep someone close to you.
- Any spell that either imbalances a creature (such as Grease/Web) or creates difficult terrain (like Plant Growth but also Grease, Earth Tremor etc) will also help much.
- Any spell that inflicts damage "through" it will influences their decision as well (Moonbeam, Spike Growth etc).

For ranged attackers it's much more difficult to manage unless you (or allies) have specific spells: Fog Cloud is great but static, Darkness is great on a rock especially with a familiar, then there are Wind Wall, Wall of Fire, etc...

Then there is the "look I'm weak" apparence (like Barbarian) which can work well on some enemies one or two rounds, unless here too they realize you're actually resilient or hard to hit: this basically forces you to be lightly armored at best or unarmored and instead relying on THP or Shield.

Finally there is the tactic to make them compel to your wish through spell or abilities, like Command, Dissonant Whispers and the like.

Because of all that, and since you seem rather set on a CHA character, I'd rather suggest you to go Crown Paladin instead of Conquest (for the "mass Compelled Duel" and Spirit Guardians) and one level in Rogue for Expertise in Athletics, which you can pair with medium armor especially if you go Hexblade (meaning you can stick "just" 14 in STR for checks and DEX for armor).

Beyond that there are really many ways to go, depends on party composition and possible teamwork, as well as your preferred kind of honeypot. :)
For example, if you'd rather use spells on rare occasions preferably for emergency / ootc, a small dip into Barbarian *may* (emphasis on may because it's still a big investment) be worth for advantage on STR checks (you'll never get restrained but you'll have an iron grip), physical resistance (always help since you try to get attacked) and possibly advantage on DEX saves (paired with Aura of Protection will make you very good at avoiding those; add Shield Master and you can act as a moving target for your friend's AOE).

stoutstien
2018-04-15, 11:02 AM
What lv can you expect to reach realistically?