PDA

View Full Version : Hexblade Build

ajrockstarr
2018-04-12, 09:53 AM
Looking to make hexblade build as I haven’t seen many floating around, we’re at level 2 now but will go all the way to twenty, I need must have spells, invocations, and any additional feats. Thanks guys

Innocent_bystan
2018-04-12, 09:58 AM
We're going to need a bit more input than this. You mentioned that you're at level 2 already. What have you built so far?

Belier
2018-04-12, 10:11 AM
Dip 5 level into warlock for thirsty blade invocation. Ask somebody to cast haste on you(or take it by level 5 level into another caster)

Hold your pact weapon 2 handed great mace.
Cast hex, enjoy 3d6 + str mod 4 times at level 5 or 10 for average 42 damage + 20 at if you took str ASI at level 4.

I suggest mountain dwarf for innate cons and str +2.

Naanomi
2018-04-12, 10:16 AM
Dip 5 level into warlock for thirsty blade invocation. Ask somebody to cast haste on you(or take it by level 5 level into another caster)

Cast hex, enjoy 3d6 + str mod 4 times at level 5 or 10 for average 42 damage + 20 at if you took str ASI at level 4.

They are a Hexblade, what do they need strength for?

Belier
2018-04-12, 10:19 AM
To go further in the build, at level 6 you can take a level into paladin to beckme proficient with heavy armor, and reroll great weapon dices.

You can add hunters mark on a bonus action
You can cast haste at paladin level 9.

So at level 14 you can cast haste, hex.
Attack for 3d6 + 5 and 3d6 + 5.

Secon turn you can hunter mark and hit for
Attack 4d6 + 5 4d6 +5 thirsty
Extra attack 4d6 + 5
Haste attack 4d6 +5 + 4d6 + 5 thirsty

114 average damage.
If you ever happen to crit, burn a smite for extra damage.

Naanomi
2018-04-12, 10:23 AM
Haste, Hex, and Hunter’s Mark all use concentration...

Belier
2018-04-12, 10:25 AM
They are a Hexblade, what do they need strength for?

To get damage for str mod and wear heavy armor with pal.

Belier
2018-04-12, 10:27 AM
Haste, Hex, and Hunter’s Mark all use concentration...

That is true. Forgot about it. I get haste is still good once you grt to add your cha bonus as an invocation.

So pal level 5 for smite burn and heavy armor
Or fighter level 5 for surge, heavy armor and extra attack.

Naanomi
2018-04-12, 10:32 AM
To get damage for str mod and wear heavy armor with pal.
Hexblades can use CHA instead of STR (in addition to thirsting blade later)

Heavy armor is +1AC over medium armor (which Hexblades get) for notably less stat investment... or if you are recommending Dwarf anyways (I wouldn’t necessarily) STR is unneeded for heavy armor.

Seekergeek
2018-04-12, 10:36 AM

Where does the fourth attack come from? Thirsty blade gives you two attacks with your pact weapon when you take the attack action, and I'm afb but I'm 99% sure haste gives you one more. That means I'm 100% missing something.

Belier
2018-04-12, 10:38 AM
To go further in the build, at level 6 you can take a level into paladin to beckme proficient with heavy armor, and reroll great weapon dices.

You can add hunters mark on a bonus action

So at level 14 you can cast haste, hex.
Attack for 3d6 + 5 and 3d6 + 5.

Secon turn you can hunter mark and hit for
Attack 4d6 + 5 4d6 +5 thirsty
Extra attack 4d6 + 5
Haste attack 4d6 +5 + 4d6 + 5 thirsty

114 average damage.
If you ever happen to crit, burn a smite for extra damage.

Let's correct this

So at level 14 you can cast haste,
Bexblade curse
Attack for 2d6 + 5+4 and 2d6 + 5+4
Turn 2
Attack 2d6 + 5+4 2d6 +5+4 thirsty
Extra attack 2d6+4+5
Haste attack 2d6 +5+4 + 2d6 + 5+4 thirsty

62.5 average damage on turn 2.
If you can bonus action great weapon master it is better.
You can reroll 1and 2 damage dices so the average is a bit better than 62.5 and if you score a crit, you get to smite and bonus action another hit.
You get your bonus action if you fell one ennemy
If you ever happen to crit, burn a smite for extra damage

If an ally can cast haste on you it is even better

Willie the Duck
2018-04-12, 10:39 AM
Where does the fourth attack come from? Thirsty blade gives you two attacks with your pact weapon when you take the attack action, and I'm afb but I'm 99% sure haste gives you one more. That means I'm 100% missing something.

The fact that we're apparently using a '2 handed great mace' and the poster seems to think we are talking about a simple bladelock and not a hexblade suggests to me that this hasn't been vetted.

Belier
2018-04-12, 10:44 AM

You are right, haste limit the attack to one hit only.
Meaning a 3 hit.

Seekergeek
2018-04-12, 10:48 AM
Let's correct this

So at level 14 you can cast haste,
Bexblade curse
Attack for 2d6 + 5+4 and 2d6 + 5+4
Turn 2
Attack 2d6 + 5+4 2d6 +5+4 thirsty
Extra attack 2d6+4+5
Haste attack 2d6 +5+4 + 2d6 + 5+4 thirsty

62.5 average damage on turn 2.
If you can bonus action great weapon master it is better.
You can reroll 1and 2 damage dices so the average is a bit better than 62.5 and if you score a crit, you get to smite and bonus action another hit.
You get your bonus action if you fell one ennemy
If you ever happen to crit, burn a smite for extra damage

If an ally can cast haste on you it is even better

Nope, I still think that's wrong. Thirsting Blade doesn't grant the extra attack class feature. It allows you to attack twice when you take the attack action. That's a notable difference, and I'm fairly certain both RAW and RAI it does not stack with the extra attack class feature of the paladin. But even if that were the case, and it did...why is it only kicking in on turn two?

edit: my bad, your formatting confused me, I think. I no longer believe you are adding a third attack from thirsting blade, but from haste.

2nd edit: Wait. Re-edit. Nope. I'm back to thinking you are adding that thristing blade attack as a third attack on turn 2.

Naanomi
2018-04-12, 10:50 AM
It explicitly does not stack with extra attack. Traditional Hexblade builds get another (bonus action) attack from Polearm Mastery

Belier
2018-04-12, 10:52 AM
Nope, I still think that's wrong. Thirsting Blade doesn't grant the extra attack class feature. It allows you to attack twice when you take the attack action. That's a notable difference, and I'm fairly certain both RAW and RAI it does not stack with the extra attack class feature of the paladin. But even if that were the case, and it did...why is it only kicking in on turn two?

edit: my bad, your formatting confused me, I think. I no longer believe you are adding a third attack from thirsting blade, but from haste.

Hmm you may be well right on this. Extra attack from paladin and fighter cannkt be combined togheter may be it is the same with thirsty blade.

It kicks in in turn 2 if you waste turn 1 action to cast haste.

Belier
2018-04-12, 10:55 AM
There you go, thirsty blade doesnt stack with extra attack.

https://mobile.twitter.com/mikemearls/status/750741016206938113

Seekergeek
2018-04-12, 10:56 AM
Hmm you may be well right on this. Extra attack from paladin and fighter cannkt be combined togheter may be it is the same with thirsty blade.

It kicks in in turn 2 if you waste turn 1 action to cast haste.

But...why? I thought someone else was casting haste on your hexblade in this scenario. If not, where do you get your initial two attacks from? If you spend turn one casting haste, that's all you can manage offensively. I mean, you can do other things with your bonus action but none of them are weapon attacks with this build.

Xihirli
2018-04-12, 11:05 AM
Looking to make hexblade build as I haven’t seen many floating around, we’re at level 2 now but will go all the way to twenty, I need must have spells, invocations, and any additional feats. Thanks guys

Since you've clearly already made a character, can you give us your race, stats, and feats (if applicable) so far?

Belier
2018-04-12, 11:29 AM
But...why? I thought someone else was casting haste on your hexblade in this scenario. If not, where do you get your initial two attacks from? If you spend turn one casting haste, that's all you can manage offensively. I mean, you can do other things with your bonus action but none of them are weapon attacks with this build.

If you cast haste yourself it is only one attack action that you can take after, not two. I corrected haste additionnal action in another post. My thread explaining the damage was not right.

Any way how about, going warlock llevel 5 for thirsty blade, use a 1 hand 1d8 rapier die for fighter dueling style, hexblade curse for prof damage. It makes a wooping. Go monk also for some flurry of blows bonus action.
1d10+3+2+5 + 1d10+3+2+5 +1d4+3+2+5 +1d4+3+2+5.

Makes for an average 56 damage at level 8
Warlock 5 fighter 1 monk 2.(2 rounds per rest, gotta set up hexblade first turn or hex if it is used)

Use the halfling template for +2 dex + 1 charisma and auto crit fail safe.

With a warlock mage armor at will you get 18 ac real fast.

Later on you can level up warlock again to reach the add up necrotix damage

When you get to level 12 warlock you can add up twice + 5 necrotic damage with lifedrinker making another +10 and at this level you also have more proficiency damage adding up. You still get access to warlock level 9 spell at level 20 because you spend up 1 fighter level and 2 monk level.

ajrockstarr
2018-04-12, 12:14 PM
Thus far I’ve got Agonizing Blast and the improved dark vision, I took Armor of Agathys, Hex, Green Flame Blade and Eldritch Blast, the build I’m gling for is a pure hexblade or at most dip into one other class as minimally as possible, I’ve also got medium armor and a shield with a rapier, my stats are 8,14,16,8,12,17 and I plan to take elven accuracy with charisma at 4th level so I can get that CHA up, my over arching theme for this character was to be somewhat versatile in that I could range Blast a bit but I’d mostly be up front dealing decent damage with a Halberd for my pact weapon and possibly getting polearm master and sentinel.

Xihirli
2018-04-12, 12:17 PM
Your stats are right where they should be for Medium Armor, that's good.
I'm a bit confused, you said you had a rapier and shield and also a halberd. Which do you tend to use more?

RSP
2018-04-12, 12:39 PM
Thus far I’ve got Agonizing Blast and the improved dark vision, I took Armor of Agathys, Hex, Green Flame Blade and Eldritch Blast, the build I’m gling for is a pure hexblade or at most dip into one other class as minimally as possible, I’ve also got medium armor and a shield with a rapier, my stats are 8,14,16,8,12,17 and I plan to take elven accuracy with charisma at 4th level so I can get that CHA up, my over arching theme for this character was to be somewhat versatile in that I could range Blast a bit but I’d mostly be up front dealing decent damage with a Halberd for my pact weapon and possibly getting polearm master and sentinel.

Just for options, at level 3, assuming Pact of Blade, you can swap out Agonizing Blast for Improved Pact Weapon, and be even or better at ranged attacks at least up to 100'. Basically instead of +Chr to EB, you can summon a Longbow+1 or Crossbow+1 and get +Chr to the attacks due to Hex Warrior.

The +1 longbow balances out the damage between the d10 EB, and the d8 bow. The heavy crossbow will do, on average, 1 point of damage more than EB. This doesn't factor in the +5% hit chance you're getting either.

Assuming you're taking Thirsting Blade (and later Lifedrinking), you'll run even or better to EB and Agonizing Blast until around 17.

Your melee attacks will be better as well, though keep in mind, this all goes away if you bond a magic weapon.

Thunderbird
2018-04-12, 12:40 PM

I think you don't get Heavy Armor Proficiency when you multiclass in Paladin, you should start Paladin to get it.

ajrockstarr
2018-04-12, 01:54 PM
Yeah I intend to swap Blast for pact weapon improvement, once I can summon the weapon, also what spells would you guys recommend at each level past 2