PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Revised ranger/fighter build

BrujahGentleman
2018-04-12, 01:49 PM
One of my players decided he wants to play a ranger/fighter.
We're at level 7, and he oddly wants to play a dragonborn, and he wants to use the archery style.
Obviously this won't be an optimized build, since the party as a whole isn't optimized as well, but I still want it to be playable.
In the setting we're playing, the arcane archer figher archetype is available to every race, so he wanted to go Hunter 4/Arcane Archer 3

Is this even playable?
Thank you in advance!

GlenSmash!
2018-04-12, 02:19 PM
Anything is playable, but not taking one of those classes to 5 for extra attack is going to hurt.

djreynolds
2018-04-12, 02:21 PM
One of my players decided he wants to play a ranger/fighter.
We're at level 7, and he oddly wants to play a dragonborn, and he wants to use the archery style.
Obviously this won't be an optimized build, since the party as a whole isn't optimized as well, but I still want it to be playable.
In the setting we're playing, the arcane archer figher archetype is available to every race, so he wanted to go Hunter 4/Arcane Archer 3

Is this even playable?
Thank you in advance!

Sure is. But remember the real power of the fighter is feats at 4th and 6th. So maybe 4 arcane archer/3 hunter. You will need to max out dexterity quick, since he is more than likely beginning with a 15 or 14. Actually, I might begin as a fighter to grab con saves. And I might take this to fighter 6 and then go ranger.

rbstr
2018-04-12, 03:06 PM
Anything is playable, but not taking one of those classes to 5 for extra attack is going to hurt.

Yah, this a lot. Either Arcane Archer or Hunter 5 and then 2 in whatever else. At character level 8 you can take the level 3 in the other one.

Vogie
2018-04-12, 03:26 PM
I would do Arcane Archer Fighter 5, Ranger 2. That way you start off with Extra attacks and 2 arcane shots available to you, and you get a choice between an ASI or the hunter feature of choice (probably Colossus slayer or Horde Breaker). You'll want to get to AA fighter 7 as fast as possible, for both Curving Shot and Magic Arrows.

Hopefully you'll have access to UA material, so you can get the Mariner or Close-Quarters Shooter fighting style in addition to the Archery Fighting style