PDA

View Full Version : Level 5 funny abuse

Belier
2018-04-12, 03:28 PM
Let's say
One guy get fighter/rogue build twice proficient in atletisme + 3 strenght mod
One caster cast haste
One caster cast enlarge(if bbeg is hige)
Fighter is in the bbeg face
Goes, I am gonna grapple.
Then I fly 60 feet in the sky, I bonus action dash into the sky another 60 feet, then I second haste action dash another 60 feet in the sky, then goes action surgr another 60 feet in the sky.

Look at the big bad evil guy, say you are sorry right now.

BBEG goes go beep bo beep vulgar

Warrior drop BBEG from 240 feat in the sky.
BBEG takes 84 average falling bludgeoning damage.

Aett_Thorn
2018-04-12, 03:34 PM
So three casters? One for Haste, one for Fly, and one for Enlarge? Sure, why not. I mean, if you can get that all off and then pass all of the checks you need to grapple.

Belier
2018-04-12, 03:38 PM
Yeah I went to fast and forgot to type fly.
Enlarge is only if the target is huge.
Require 2 spells and no roof under optimal conditions.

DarkKnightJin
2018-04-12, 03:39 PM
Then it turns out the BBEG has a Ring of Feather Falling you failed to spot, and it failed. And now the meatshield is 240 ft up in the air, with the BBEG closer to the casters that are keeping the Fighter up there.

Quoxis
2018-04-12, 03:41 PM
Let's say
One guy get fighter/rogue build twice proficient in atletisme + 3 strenght mod
One caster cast haste
One caster cast enlarge(if bbeg is hige)
Fighter is in the bbeg face
Goes, I am gonna grapple.
Then I fly 60 feet in the sky, I bonus action dash into the sky another 60 feet, then I second haste action dash another 60 feet in the sky, then goes action surgr another 60 feet in the sky.

Look at the big bad evil guy, say you are sorry right now.

BBEG goes go beep bo beep vulgar

Warrior drop BBEG from 240 feat in the sky.
BBEG takes 84 average falling bludgeoning damage.

I‘d beg you to use the correct terminology and write „athletics“ instead of atletisme, monsieur :P

Other than that: you forgot that your character still needs access to a flying speed, and both races with innate at will flying are banned in AL games.
Assuming you’re an Aasimar, have boots of flying or yet another caster making you fly, there’s still the question of height, especially indoors - can‘t drop someone from 240ft if the ceiling is at 50ft.
It’s a neat trick, but it requires multiple PCs to build around it and focus on buffing you instead of fireballing the bbeg for more damage, and therefore i‘d say you’re probably gonna use this only once or twice in a campaign where the circumstances allow it.

Edit: Ninja‘d multiple times. Wow.

Mellack
2018-04-12, 04:30 PM
Note that having both classes give you athletics proficiency does nothing. You can only get proficiency once. I assume you would take athletics with your expertise.

Then it turns out the BBEG has a Ring of Feather Falling you failed to spot, and it failed. And now the meatshield is 240 ft up in the air, with the BBEG closer to the casters that are keeping the Fighter up there.

Or the BBEG has his own flight speed, or can cast feather falling, or has freedom of movement up, is indoors, or is just too heavy to lift.

Belier
2018-04-12, 04:46 PM
Note that having both classes give you athletics proficiency does nothing. You can only get proficiency once. I assume you would take athletics with your expertise.

Or the BBEG has his own flight speed, or can cast feather falling, or has freedom of movement up, is indoors, or is just too heavy to lift.

Expertise from rogue double proficiency. And as a dm i'd allow my pcs to pull this off once or twice for the lol.

Ganymede
2018-04-12, 05:03 PM
One of the main problems with this strategy is carrying capacity.

A PC with strength 16 can only lift 240 pounds, minus any worn equipment. Even if enlarged, that PC can only lift 480 pounds, minus any equipment.

An ogre weighs about 1,000 pounds, and many other large sized creatures have similar weights. Huge creatures would weigh even more.

This excludes many BBEGs from being impacted by this tactic.

Also, remember that you move at half speed while hauling a grappled creature.

Belier
2018-04-12, 05:52 PM
One of the main problems with this strategy is carrying capacity.

A PC with strength 16 can only lift 240 pounds, minus any worn equipment. Even if enlarged, that PC can only lift 480 pounds, minus any equipment.

An ogre weighs about 1,000 pounds, and many other large sized creatures have similar weights. Huge creatures would weigh even more.

This excludes many BBEGs from being impacted by this tactic.

Also, remember that you move at half speed while hauling a grappled creature.

Flying and haste = 120 feet thus 60 like in my example. Also, moving, regardless of the weight when you grapple is half movement. It doest look at the weight. Carrying capacity and grappling are not ruled for the same thing. If you eant realism forget aboit flying drahons.

Of course dm still aleays have the final word.

Ganymede
2018-04-12, 06:12 PM
Also, moving, regardless of the weight when you grapple is half movement. It doest look at the weight. Carrying capacity and grappling are not ruled for the same thing.

I think you are misunderstanding my point. There is no weight limit on grappling creatures, but there is a limit on how much a creature can carry or lift off of the ground.

While the issue does not come up very often when moving a grappled creature along the ground, it comes into play if you attempt to lift a creature off of the ground and into the air. Grappling a creature does not allow you to ignore your carrying capacity.

In short: if you are not strong enough to lift an ogre off of the ground, you are not strong enough to hold that ogre off of the ground while flying.

Belier
2018-04-12, 07:36 PM
I think you are misunderstanding my point. There is no weight limit on grappling creatures, but there is a limit on how much a creature can carry or lift off of the ground.

While the issue does not come up very often when moving a grappled creature along the ground, it comes into play if you attempt to lift a creature off of the ground and into the air. Grappling a creature does not allow you to ignore your carrying capacity.

In short: if you are not strong enough to lift an ogre off of the ground, you are not strong enough to hold that ogre off of the ground while flying.

It s a spell that does the lifting, the grappler don't have to lift he just need to hold. It is different. It's easier to hold weight than it is to raise it. There is no weight limit on fly.

smcmike
2018-04-12, 07:44 PM
It s a spell that does the lifting, the grappler don't have to lift he just need to hold. It is different. It's easier to hold weight than it is to raise it. There is no weight limit on fly.

Afraid you are incorrect. Fly gives you a fly speed. A creature with a fly speed uses the same carrying capacity rules for flying as for walking (which is kind of dumb in the first place, but whatever).

However, a Goliath raging bear-totem barbarian can carry quite a lot.

Belier
2018-04-12, 08:16 PM
Afraid you are incorrect. Fly gives you a fly speed. A creature with a fly speed uses the same carrying capacity rules for flying as for walking (which is kind of dumb in the first place, but whatever).

However, a Goliath raging bear-totem barbarian can carry quite a lot.

So there is a flying carry capacity. I should start reading my dm guide. Carrying capacity is simple, large is 30 x strength. In this case it is 16 x 30 = 480