PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Awesome Combos

liamkirkwood
2018-04-12, 03:32 PM
So in a game I'm playing i want more synergy and i wanted to know if you guys had any cool combo ideas.
we have a Wizard (me), A ranger, rogue, and sorcerer, but mostly i would like synergy with me and the ranger as our characters seem to be closer than the others.
the only combos we have is the sorcerer using twin spell mage Armour for her and me.
:smallsmile:
Oh also if u need our subclasses
Wizard: Necromancer
Ranger: Beast master
Sorcerer: i believe is Draconic bloodline but im not sure on that
Rogue: Assassin

DarkKnightJin
2018-04-12, 03:46 PM
The Sorc is likely NOT a Draconic Bloodline Sorcerer, because they're using Mage Armor. Which is kinda pointless for a Drac Sorc to have, since they get the AC13+Dex all the time.

As for cool combo's.. there's always the classic Hold Person/Monster to give everybody Advantage on their attacks. And an auto-crit if it's an attack made within 5 feet of the target.

Pretty sure the best combo moves are thought up on the fly, and usually don't really work as intended more than 2, maybe 3 times.

Like, you can only crush mooks under Daern's Instant Fortress so many times before the DM makes it unlikely for you to pull it off again. Or finds a way for your party tonlose access to the item because it's wrecking the balance of his prepped work.

liamkirkwood
2018-04-12, 03:51 PM
Like, you can only crush mooks under Daern's Instant Fortress so many times before the DM makes it unlikely for you to pull it off again. Or finds a way for your party tonlose access to the item because it's wrecking the balance of his prepped work.

sorry i should have stated the combos im looking for dont need to be intense instant kill level stuff just fun stuff for example one i thought of was a wizard casting minor illusion of another player to confuse enemies. just small things like that are fun

strangebloke
2018-04-12, 04:29 PM
invisibility/greater invisibility on the assassin to have him sneak in and get a free melee surprise round.

Get the sorcerer to take inspiring leader to power up the animal companion, wizard's familiar, and zombies (and the party)

Twin cast Dragon's Breath to destroy enemy hordes. (Twinning any strong concentration buff is a win. However, your sorcerer should really only have 2-3 spells to use with this trick at a time)

Remember, the animal companion is a meatshield. Your rogue can hide behind it as cover, or you can use it to block a chokepoint.

Make the wizard's familiar use the help action on the party rogue to give him advantage so he can sneak attack. Use zombies to knock people over to achieve the same purpose (unless he's a ranged assassin)

Cast mage armor on the animal companion. This will be a +2 AC for most beasts.

Use the animal companion as a mule to carry dead bodies for your future use.

Use Haste on the rogue to give him an extra sneak attack.

Cast Command or fear to make people run from the rogue, giving him another sneak attack. Use this near the animal companion so that the companion actually gets to deal some damage.

khachaturian
2018-04-12, 05:08 PM
Use Haste on the rogue to give him an extra sneak attack.

sneak attack can only be used once per turn. haste works much better on great weapon master/sharpshooters.

commander strike, on the other hand, does have good synergy with a rogue's sneak attack

Fredaintdead
2018-04-12, 05:10 PM
sneak attack can only be used once per turn. haste works much better on great weapon master/sharpshooters.

commander strike, on the other hand, does have good synergy with a rogue's sneak attack

I believe the idea is that Haste grants the normally single-attack Rogue another chance to land Sneak Attack, rather than a 2nd instance of the damage.

AHF
2018-04-12, 05:31 PM

I think the Rogue could choose to use the haste additional action to attack and inflict sneak attack on the Rogue's turn; ready the Rogue's action on some very foreseeable trigger to do one on the Ranger's turn (I ready my attack to attack the same target as my Ranger buddy right after my Ranger buddy attacks); and then use the fear, etc. AOO to do a third sneak attack in the same round on the Wizard's turn assuming one of the enemies is within melee range of the Rogue when the victim starts to flee.

khachaturian
2018-04-12, 05:59 PM
I think the Rogue could choose to use the haste additional action to attack and inflict sneak attack on the Rogue's turn; ready the Rogue's action on some very foreseeable trigger to do one on the Ranger's turn (I ready my attack to attack the same target as my Ranger buddy right after my Ranger buddy attacks); and then use the fear, etc. AOO to do a third sneak attack in the same round on the Wizard's turn assuming one of the enemies is within melee range of the Rogue when the victim starts to flee.

this is spectacular! i never thought of doing this, but i think that if you burn your reaction on the readied action, you wouldn't get the AoO, so maybe 2 instead of 3?

AHF
2018-04-12, 06:37 PM
this is spectacular! i never thought of doing this, but i think that if you burn your reaction on the readied action, you wouldn't get the AoO, so maybe 2 instead of 3?

Yeah - that is right. So you would still be able to get the 2 sneak attacks without the wizard burning fear, etc. but not 3 since the bonus attack will (I think) always be on the same turn as one of your other attacks.

EvilAnagram
2018-04-12, 06:55 PM
So in a game I'm playing i want more synergy and i wanted to know if you guys had any cool combo ideas.
we have a Wizard (me), A ranger, rogue, and sorcerer, but mostly i would like synergy with me and the ranger as our characters seem to be closer than the others.
the only combos we have is the sorcerer using twin spell mage Armour for her and me.
Oh also if u need our subclasses
Wizard: Necromancer
Ranger: Beast master
Sorcerer: i believe is Draconic bloodline but im not sure on that
Rogue: Assassin

Well, if you or the sorcerer casts Synaptic Static, then the other one casts Sickening Radiance, the targets of the first spell will have -1d6 to their Con saves for the second.

Slow also combos super well with Sickening Radiance.

Haste is great on the Ranger.

If the Ranger uses Entangling Strike, you can use Enlarge/Reduce to shrink someone and give them disadvantage on the saves and checks to get out.

Gust of Wind can push people into Spike Growth.

Or Sickening Radiance.

strangebloke
2018-04-12, 07:03 PM

Yes, this is what I meant. You can't get three sneak attacks but you can get two, either via Haste or via AoO.

liamkirkwood
2018-04-12, 07:24 PM
Well, if you or the sorcerer casts Synaptic Static, then the other one casts Sickening Radiance, the targets of the first spell will have -1d6 to their Con saves for the second.
the - 6 to con is only for concentration

EvilAnagram
2018-04-12, 07:41 PM
the - 6 to con is only for concentration
Just checked, and you are correct.

opaopajr
2018-04-12, 08:29 PM

Ready uses your Action to create an additional (and optional) trigger + response for your Reaction. It does not give you an additional Reaction.

Crgaston
2018-04-13, 10:12 AM
Once you hit 5th level, Spike Growth from the Ranger and anything from you that forces movement.

2D8HP
2018-04-13, 10:23 AM
Either a Barbarian with a high AC and high HP, or another class with high AC from armor or magic to like a chump team player stand next to the foe, then a PC with Fighter's or Ranger"s Archery Fighting Style plus Rogue's Sneak Attack.

Another PC could have healing ability, maybe a Life Domain Cleric, but something else is fine, they main thing is putting Sneak Attack missiles into the Foe.

Oh yeah, someone having either Natural Explorer, or the Wanderer Feature to scare up lunch in the wilderness is good as well.

AHF
2018-04-13, 10:25 AM
Ready uses your Action to create an additional (and optional) trigger + response for your Reaction. It does not give you an additional Reaction.

That is right - I messed that up in the initial post. Already corrected in followup post above.

nickl_2000
2018-04-13, 10:41 AM
Once you hit 5th level, Spike Growth from the Ranger and anything from you that forces movement.

Spike Growth + a Grappler is amazing. The Grappler just drags them back and forth over the spikes for 6d4 damage from movement + the grapplers attacks

th3g0dc0mp13x
2018-04-13, 01:37 PM
Yes, this is what I meant. You can't get three sneak attacks but you can get two, either via Haste or via AoO.

I mean you can get three or even four if you set it up properly. It requires a high level though.

Back to the op's question though.
Low level wizard/ranger synergy, I'm assuming they're a ranged attacker?

Spiderclimb or levitation let's the ranger get a better angle on targets and also keeps them out of melee.

Flaming sphere placed behind the cover an enemy is using will force them out of cover.