PDA

View Full Version : Eldrazi (Subclass/Class/PC) in DND 5e?

A Fat Dragon
2018-04-12, 06:15 PM
So, I’ve been looking at Plane-Shift for a while now, and I’ve been looking through a few of my old Magic decks, and it’s gotten me speculating on Eldrazi in Dnd 5e. I did a quick search, and all I found was some very nice homebrewed Eldrazi Monsters, and there’s also the Plane Shift Zendikar examples, but I want something a bit... more.

So, I made the assumption that I should homebrew some stuff. I’m not sure whether this belongs here or elsewhere, but I blatantly ignored that urge, as I’d like some help brainstorming for making Eldrazi PCs in Dnd 5e, and seeing the creativity of the populace.

My first (And only) idea so far, has been simply changing up Moon Circle Druid, to have it be something more like “spontaneous Eldrazi Horror mutations” instead of wild shaping, but I’d also like to see what other players have come up with.

the_brazenburn
2018-04-12, 06:18 PM
Something along the lines of an "aberration mage" would work well.

GOOlock fills that role pretty well.

I wouldn't think Eldrazi would make very good PC races, though. There's a pretty sharp divide between "character quirk" and "world-devouring abomination". No offense meant.

A Fat Dragon
2018-04-12, 06:26 PM
None taken. I’ve already realize the fact that they are solely Chaotic Evil, and bent on the destruction of the entire universe as we know it.

However, consider our homocidal Cleric is “Lawful Good”, and I wasn’t planning on playing a full-blown Eldrazi (More like, Humanoid, who did a bit too much lore-searching, and BAM, he’s now part-Eldrazi) I think I’ll take my chances, and see what comes.

Not saying I wouldn’t be anything but Chaotic Evil though. I mean, that fact alone that this is slightly “justified” is enough for me to try and do this idea.

mythmonster2
2018-04-12, 06:43 PM
I think Eldrazi would be better off as Unaligned. They did attempt to destroy Zendikar and Innistrad, yes, but there is no indication that there was any malice behind it. The story (https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-story/memories-blood-2015-09-16) that gave us the most insight into the Eldrazi "mind" says they're mostly driven by hunger and some instincts. Either way, playing as one would be... very odd, though the research-based hybrid is a bit more understandable.

A Fat Dragon
2018-04-12, 06:49 PM
I’ve tried to convince my friends and fellow players that Eldrazi would be Chaotic Neutral or Unalligned, as they are following an instinct simply to survive, but they were pretty stalwart on believing they were quite evil, as their goal was “senseless destruction.”

It’d be cool to play an Eldrazi Horror/Spawner, who understands why the Eldrazi act this way, and are indeed Eldrazi, but have faint memories of a life before-hand. Something a bit more than a mindless hunger, but something that follows the will of a greater being, yet doing so while following their own self-preservation, which may include the survival of their allies.

My greatest problem is that I’m lacking on ideas beyond that, and I’m also curious about the community’s input.

GreyBlack
2018-04-13, 02:26 AM
None taken. I’ve already realize the fact that they are solely Chaotic Evil, and bent on the destruction of the entire universe as we know it.

However, consider our homocidal Cleric is “Lawful Good”, and I wasn’t planning on playing a full-blown Eldrazi (More like, Humanoid, who did a bit too much lore-searching, and BAM, he’s now part-Eldrazi) I think I’ll take my chances, and see what comes.

Not saying I wouldn’t be anything but Chaotic Evil though. I mean, that fact alone that this is slightly “justified” is enough for me to try and do this idea.

If that's the case, why not play a Great Old One Warlock?

Edit to add:
I would almost fluff it that you have some minor cosmetic alterations to your race, but now because of that contact with the Eldrazi's you begin to manifest powers that begin to try and twist your character into trying to become more of an Eldrazi.

Vogie
2018-04-13, 09:40 AM
The best connection I've found to the Eldrazi's "alignment" would be similar to the sandworms of Dune - not evil or good, lawful or chaotic, just giant beasts that consume nearby things that get their attention.

If you make stats for Eldrazi Horror, a la the spawn from Eldritch Moon, you could use those as spawn you can create Necromancer Wizards, Death Clerics or Oathbreaker Paladins. You could also refluff Shepherd Druids in a Eldrazi mindset.

The only Classes that can feel Eldrazi-ish with a limited amount of fluff would be GOO warlocks (doubly so if you allow the UA Claw of Acamar invocation) and Spore Druids, who give that abomination feel.

Some ideas you could steal are actually Warlock Patrons I saw on Middle Finger of Vecna, which gave both a Pact of the Skin (http://mfov.magehandpress.com/2015/10/the-blood.html) boon and Fiend Skin (http://mfov.magehandpress.com/2015/05/fiend-skin.html) patron that allows a PC to be an abomination

Naanomi
2018-04-13, 09:48 AM
Eldrazi are unaligned the same way they are colorless... they don’t fit with the universe’s preconceived sorting methods

In DnD history, Draeden full much the same role as Eldrazi (incomprehensible matter destroying horrors that live between worlds, and outside the normal rules that bind the current Cosmology)

raxon1221
2019-05-02, 11:38 AM
Did you make subclasses for the eldrazi
If you did I'd be interested in the warlcok

Personification
2019-05-02, 12:40 PM
If you want monsters, try star spawn (MToF).

Man_Over_Game
2019-05-02, 03:29 PM
I could really dig a party of Eldrazi-corrupted characters that work against the players.

Would consist of:

Conquest Paladin
Enchantment Wizard
Great Old One Warlock
Grave Cleric
Zealot Barbarian

JackPhoenix
2019-05-02, 06:41 PM
I could really dig a party of Eldrazi-corrupted characters that work against the players.

Would consist of:

Conquest Paladin
Enchantment Wizard
Great Old One Warlock
Grave Cleric
Zealot Barbarian

Where are the necromancers?

Vogie
2019-05-02, 08:49 PM
Where are the necromancers?

Both the Wizard and the Cleric can grab Animate Dead at 5. With that build, probably the Cleric

Or just throw a Golgari Background on the Paladin or Warlock, and Viola! Necromancer.

JackPhoenix
2019-05-02, 10:23 PM
Both the Wizard and the Cleric can grab Animate Dead at 5. With that build, probably the Cleric

Or just throw a Golgari Background on the Paladin or Warlock, and Viola! Necromancer.

Look at the post dates....