PDA

View Full Version : Used up luck

Kevin Drake
2018-04-12, 10:05 PM
(Now just saying like all my other threads, it's encouraged to share your own similar stories too)
So in January this year I decided to join a new group due to my old one being officially disbanded, thankfully my good childhood friend had a d&d group he played with and introduced me to everyone, and luckily they were just about to start a new campaign so I joined in at just the right time, our party consists of: a half elf sorcerer (borealis nightbloom) that's played by afforementioned childhood friend, a half-vampire half-human barbarian (quirina) played buy a guy we call turtle (in the last session his character became a full vampire), a crazy homeless cleric worshipping rnjesus (gyrg grac)(ironically he has the worst rolls of the group and also last session he literally got the ragnell as well as regaining his sanity ontop of apparently bonding his soul or something with that of a holy deity, so yeah he's currently the strongest) played by slimebrik, pretty chill guy. And finally a black halfling rogue named Thymomenos, played by me. We started out in a tavern (real original I know) and set off to find a dryad who could help us better understand our sigils (essentially mcguffins that allow whoever has them to resist and manipulate the specific element associated with it. Borealis has electricity, quirina has acid, gyrg has negative energy, and thy (short for thymomenos) has fire), we got jumped by a few goblins on the outskirts of the forest we were searching and proceeded to fight them, while the other three each took on one goblin and struggled with it, I somehow managed to take 3 on at once via a combo of good rolls, quick thinking, and my absolutely absurd BASE acrobatics bonus of 12. So I kicked their asses while taunting them at the same time, and I felt like a god afterwards. Fast forward to the first dungeon, three notable things happened, two more badass moments and one sign of things to come. At one point I was checking the dungeon out ahead of the party but I foolishly stumbled into something the dm calls the "flame room" where 8 fire breathing kobolds jumped me and incinerated the entire corridor, my teammates managed to duck out of the way but i wasnt so lucky. I shouldve taken 10 points of damage from the fire, but my sigil nullifies up to 10 fire damage per hit. So I managed to walk through the flames like a badass and proceed to scare the everloving **** out of them. Later in the dungeon the first sign of things to come happened, I tried to scorpion a kobold with my bladed chain (my weapon, essentially just a chain with a knife at the end), but rolled a 1 and the chain ricocheted of the wall and wrapped around a hook on the ceiling, causing me to nearly lynch myself if the party hadn't come in and saved my ass. Later in the dungeon during the boss fight I got knocked out by one of the kobold mages, was healed by the dmnpc paladin, and then proceeded to drop kick the mage into a boulder and then rolled acrobatics to hit it multiple times using my chain like brass knuckles, I critted and got to attack 4 times in a row, 3 of them were crits and 1 was an 18. Lets just say it's face was ****ing gone. Skip forward a bit, and we were heading through some plains to get to our next destination and we spotted a tree. Turned out to be a gallows tree. A near endgame enemy. And the party was all level four, this was when we learned to use our sigils and I managed to make it erupt into a massive pillar of flames for 200 damage. Skip ahead further and we were fighting basilisks, but these ones needed a turn to charge their petrification attacks which were from breath and not sight, what happened there was I managed to charge up a fireball and launched it at the things face, some lucky rolls later and half its face was melted off. Skip further and just the session before the last, and we ended up fighting with some pirates when a recurring character showed up, killed off the pirates, and proceeded to attack us. I was the only one harmed having been brought to negative health TWICE during the fight only to be healed by the paladin and cleric. Side note the dm says we aren't just gonna get the powers from the prestige classes we pick when we get around to it and we have to learn them, funny thing is that character who kicked my ass twice? Turns out she's a shadowdancer, the prestige class I want. So we managed to put the pieces together that she is gonna be the one that eventually trains me in the way of the shadowdancer. Skip forward a bit more and we were fighting a 'phantom' of the bbeg (was just to test our powers campaign is only halfway done), in a pocked dimension of sorts where if we died in the fight we would be thrown out of the fight and have to wait for the others to either win or lose and if they lost they would have to start the fight all over again. I was the only one who 'died' in the fight and I was sucked into a black hole, I was pretty salty about it but at least my character wasn't actually dead, so yeah that's were we left off and I was pretty much demoted from leader to punching bag, but I know that will change soon. Hopefully I have the motivation to get off my ass and keep you guys posted with the events of future sessions, so yeah if you have any "hero to zero" stories like this please share them.

Aedilred
2018-04-15, 10:28 AM
Holy wall of text Batman!

You might want to break that up into multiple paragraphs if you want people to read it.

Also, from what I managed to read of it before my eyes melted and dribbled out of my skull, this might be better served in one of the roleplaying fora rather than Friendly Banter. A mod might move it for you if you ask them nicely.