PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Hexblade Warlock need Help/Guide

ajrockstarr
2018-04-13, 01:12 AM
Im trying to make a pure hexblade warlock designed to be utility/damage on the frontline, at the moment we are level 2 but the campaign will go to 20 and I was hoping for an outline of must have spells and ASI's for each level, I went half-elf, stats are 8,14,16,8,12,17 (17 CHA for elven accuracy at level 4 later for +1 CHA). I've never made a hexblade before so I dont know any of the spell combos other than Darkness+Devil's Sight but that's not really unique to the hexblade. Keep in mind the themes I wanna maintain are Damage/Tank/Utility in that order of priority.

NecroDancer
2018-04-13, 08:33 AM
I'd recommend just going straight hexblade 20. You will end up using Eldritch Blast in the later levels but during levels 1-10 you will be an excellent Gish.

I highly recommend that you DONT do the darkness/devilsight combo since your allies are debuffed by it.

Spells like "shield" aren't as good for you since you have 2-3 spell slots for most of your career. However taking a spell like Shadows of Moil or Far Step that can be used more than once or Invocations that don't use a spell slot like Shroud of Flies, Trickster's Escape, etc.

I also recommend taking invocations like Maddening Hex or Relentless Hex since they improve your Hexblade's Curse (a very strong ability).

Mikal
2018-04-13, 09:54 AM
I'd recommend just going straight hexblade 20. You will end up using Eldritch Blast in the later levels but during levels 1-10 you will be an excellent Gish.

I don't. Hexblade after 12 is a bit of a waste. That's when you get Lifedrinker and double Cha to your weapon damage. After level 12 I'd recommend adding more combat utility to yourself, either as a Oathbreaker Paladin (triple Cha to your weapon damage... albeit at level 17), Blade Bard, or Battlemaster Fighter. My personal preference is a mix of Bard and Fighter, 4 of each. Gives you same amount of ASI's as a pure Warlock, gives you flexibility in spellcasting with lower slots from Bard, and you get lots of nice riders you can add to your melee or ranged damage with maneuvers and flourishes.

I highly recommend that you DONT do the darkness/devilsight combo since your allies are debuffed by it.

I disagree with this as well. This combo is highly effective, and can be used strategically in so many ways. However, when you get access to level 4 spells and Shadow of Moil I'd recommend swapping Darkness out for that and trading Devil's Sight in for another invocation. It's better in every way except duration- Provides better cover, damages enemies, and doesn't impact your teammates as much. Plus, you'll want to use Darkness to generate the Elven Advantage as much as possible.

Spells like "shield" aren't as good for you since you have 2-3 spell slots for most of your career. However taking a spell like Shadows of Moil or Far Step that can be used more than once or Invocations that don't use a spell slot like Shroud of Flies, Trickster's Escape, etc.

Shield may be good at low levels, but yeah, you should swap this out once you get a little higher in level for more effective spells if you need to. And remember, you may get 2-3 spell slots, but they regenerate on a short rest and there's no reason not to push to have them. Warlock's are designed for short rests, and if you aren't getting them then you're inherently nerfed, even as a Hexblade.

I also recommend taking invocations like Maddening Hex or Relentless Hex since they improve your Hexblade's Curse (a very strong ability).

This is situational, depending on the type of Gish you are. If you're not going the PAM/Sentinel route... yeah. Maybe.
However, if you do, then your reaction is going to be taken up by so many different things that you'll hardless ever use your Maddening or Relentless Hex. And remember both of those invocations rely on using one of those 2-3 spell slots or your 1/short rest Curse. So again... push for that short rest!

If you have the invocations to spare after Eldritch Smite, Improved Pact Weapon, Thirsting Blade, and Lifedrinker, I'd choose Relentless Hex out of the two, because Maddening is pretty cruddy damage and potentially can cause friendly fire. Though I'm more partial to the more utility invocations like Eyes of the Runekeeper (who needs a sage to translate those ancient runes when you can do it so easily!), which can help with the non-combat pillars of the game.