PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Lucky Mascot (character build)

JellyPooga
2018-04-13, 03:11 AM
How would you go about building a character that does very little him or herself, but makes the rest of the party...just seem to succeed more. A character that the party likes to keep around, despite not being immediately or apparantly useful; you know, he's just lucky and that luck rubs off.

I'm thinking of a horrible multiclass build, but would like some input;

- Paladin 6 for Aura of Protection. Everyone around him just somehow being better at resisting deleterious effects fits nicely. I'm unsure on Oath, though; Vengeance really doesn't fit and Devotion seems a bit to active/Cleric-y for my liking. Ancients could work, but I'm not sold on it, so I'm open to suggestions from non-Core books.
- Wizard (Diviner) 2. Portent can easily be fluffed as simply the right things happening at the right time.
- Rogue (Mastermind) 3. Being able to use Help as a Bonus Action and at range seems sort of appropriate for someone that's little more than a cheering section.
- Bard (probably Lore) 9. Spells, BI, Cutting Words. All can be at least partially attributed to luck (good or bad) or just being a nice guy to be around (e.g. Song of Rest).

Halfling is an obvious choice, probably Lightfoot, but I could be persuaded to go Stout, reasoning his poison resistance as dumb luck as much as it is fortitude. Any other Races that leap out as fitting?

Notafish
2018-04-13, 03:52 AM
Half-elf or human could help with the MAD-ness of your build. I agree that a halfling is the obvious thematic choice, though. Why 9 levels in Bard, though? The dice sizes increase, but the number of Bardic Inspiration uses is tied to your CHA. Fewer Bard levels would free some space up for levels in Battlemaster, which gives you Commander's Strike, Distracting Strike, and Rally (all abilities that give benefits to your allies), or another few levels of Paladin (If you went Ancients, you'd get Aura of Warding (friendlies get resistance to spell damage) at level 7).

Innocent_bystan
2018-04-13, 04:01 AM
I wouldn't dismiss Oath of the Ancients paladin 7. That aura is completely unfair towards your DM.

I'd also keep an eye on the amount of ASI's your build gets: you probably want the Halfling luck-sharing feat and a maxed Charisma and Inspiring Leader.

I'd keep the build pretty simple: paladin 7/ bard 13. This way you get a decent amount of ASI's, high level spells to 'give luck', cutting words and a really great passive bonus for everyone in your vicinity.