PDA

View Full Version : A question of gods[SoD spoilers]

Morty
2007-09-02, 06:30 AM
There's one thing that concerns me... it was said in Crayons of Time that elves and goblins raised teir own gods. In SoD we get to know how and why The Dark One ascended to godhood, and why goblins hadn't had patron god in the beginning in the first place. But what about elves? It's probably not important enough to be explained in comic or otherwise, but it's curious neverhteless. Elves aren't cannon fodder like goblins, so why none of he first pantheons are their patrons? Maybe they were supposed to worship Gods of the East, but they were killed by the Snarl so elves were left godless?

Setra
2007-09-02, 06:35 AM
That's entirely possible, with what I know anyways.

The Extinguisher
2007-09-02, 06:39 AM
I do believe that the eleven lands are to the East, so with no gods to call thier own, they raised some.

wojonatior
2007-09-02, 07:28 AM
i remember hearing something that said they made thier own gods.

NerfTW
2007-09-02, 08:38 AM
Yes, you heard that in Start of Darkness, as stated by the OP.

I didn't even think of the gods of the East thing. That is interesting. I thought it was just a "We're so full of ourselves we made our own gods" type of thing.

Maybe that's why they had to.

wojonatior
2007-09-02, 09:19 AM
no i think i herd it in the online strip.

blackspeeker
2007-09-02, 10:27 AM
Yes, you heard that in Start of Darkness, as stated by the OP.

I didn't even think of the gods of the East thing. That is interesting. I thought it was just a "We're so full of ourselves we made our own gods" type of thing.

Maybe that's why they had to.

Could be a little bit of both.

Icewalker
2007-09-03, 04:25 AM
no i think i herd it in the online strip.

Nope, pretty sure it's only in SoD.

Morty
2007-09-03, 04:33 AM
Nope, pretty sure it's only in SoD.

Actually, elves creating their own gods are metnioned in Shojo's tale. But it's curious why have they done this. Dwarves, for example, follow Gods of the North, and Kobolds at least some of the weastern gods.

TDG
2007-09-03, 05:41 AM
Clearly, V accomplished total arcane power, uses it to make himself a goddess, then travels back in time so she may claim his title as a god of the elves.

Alternatively, another elf sought total arcane power and used it to become a god

Max_Sinister
2007-09-03, 06:12 AM
In that one strip when V writes Miko a bill s/he says that the Elven homelands are in the North. (Of course, this happens during their journey to the south, soeverything else may be in the north from there.)

kpenguin
2007-09-03, 06:21 AM
In that one strip when V writes Miko a bill s/he says that the Elven homelands are in the North. (Of course, this happens during their journey to the south, soeverything else may be in the north from there.)

They probably were referring to the Elven homelands being north of the southern lands, rather than saying the Elven lands were in the actual northern region. Everything that is north from the southern lands is referred to as such. Haley, for instance, is from the Western continent (I think), but is referred to as a Northerner.

Chronos
2007-09-03, 10:37 AM
Actually, the strip with the invoice (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0220.html) doesn't say anything about which direction the Elven homelands are in, just that they're 4374 miles away.

And the online reference to the Elves raising up their own gods is in 275 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0275.html). There's also a reference to Vaarsuvius worshipping an ancient elven god of knowledge, back when Elan was trying to convert em to Banjo (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0081.html).

TheElfLord
2007-09-03, 01:21 PM
This seems like a good place to post something that has been bugging me for a while.

By general agreement, Gods cannot affect things outside their area. We see this when some of the 12 gods stop Thor from interfearing in the Azure City battle. The Goblin's red mantle is created to circumvent this.

When the OotS goes to see the Oracle, they do not travel far from the City. Presumable they are still in the southlands. The Oracle calls upon Tiamet, one of the gods of the west. This seems to be more than the actions of a simple cleric, otherwise durkon should have been able to, or one of the clerics in AC.

So is this a circumvention of the region limitation? Or a contradiction? or what?

ref
2007-09-03, 02:01 PM
Clearly, V accomplished total arcane power, uses it to make himself a goddess, then travels back in time so she may claim his title as a god of the elves.

Please let me congratulate you for such an awesome use of the different genders. :smallcool:

boiled bones
2007-09-03, 02:44 PM
So is this a circumvention of the region limitation? Or a contradiction? or what?

My guess would be that the oracle is located somewhat centrally (begging the question, are all the gods allowed to have influence in the centrally located areas?), and that the OotS did have to travel at least a fair bit. That said, I don't think it would be totally unreasonable to see the oracle as an exception to the regional limitations. He seems to be unique, so perhaps that uniqueness allows hium to circumvent the usual limitations. I do agree that his powers seem to be above and beyond normal clerical powers, and are indeed a result of direct divine intervention. As to the specifics of how, well, we can only guess, or, at best, surmise.

TheAlmightyOne
2007-09-03, 02:50 PM
No, SoD states that the gods created clerics so followers would be able to contact their gods while in areas undre another gods jurisdiction. The oracle probably has a level of cleric to enable himself to contact Tiamat.

Lissou
2007-09-04, 04:41 AM
Elves aren't cannon fodder like goblins, so why none of he first pantheons are their patrons?

Well, nothing says they can't worship Gods from the existing pantheons. It's not like humans should worship one pantheon, dwarves another, and so on. it's not about the races, except for the creatures that were created only to be killed and that no God would want to help.

My guess would be, elves could worship some Gods, but they'd rather worship other elves.

I don't think the East would be a God-free place. I think it's probably the opposite, and that all Gods can answer calls, because it no pantheon's territory.
But maybe they do neglect calls coming from there.
Either way, as there is no proof elves live in the East, this theory can't be proven right now, but it's an interesting one.

Rakleb
2007-09-08, 08:10 PM
Just end this talk about elves I mean they suck.:belkar::I think so too.