PDA

View Full Version : Hexblade Warlock Guide

ajrockstarr
2018-04-13, 08:41 AM
Im trying to make a pure hexblade warlock designed to be utility/damage on the frontline, at the moment we are level 2 but the campaign will go to 20 and I was hoping for an outline of must have spells and ASI's for each level, I went half-elf, stats are 8,14,16,8,12,17 (17 CHA for elven accuracy at level 4 later for +1 CHA). I've never made a hexblade before so I dont know any of the spell combos other than Darkness+Devil's Sight but that's not really unique to the hexblade. Keep in mind the themes I wanna maintain are Damage/Tank/Utility in that order of priority.

DevilMcam
2018-04-13, 09:00 AM
If you want to play a not so average Hexblade you can go Pact of the tome, with crossbow expert and warcaster.
go to melee, and fry their heads with point blank eldritch blasts. if they do triger OA you can "multiattack" mith eldricth blast as OA.

If you want to play a regular one, life drinker and PAM are your friends

strangebloke
2018-04-13, 10:50 AM
Im trying to make a pure hexblade warlock designed to be utility/damage on the frontline, at the moment we are level 2 but the campaign will go to 20 and I was hoping for an outline of must have spells and ASI's for each level, I went half-elf, stats are 8,14,16,8,12,17 (17 CHA for elven accuracy at level 4 later for +1 CHA). I've never made a hexblade before so I dont know any of the spell combos other than Darkness+Devil's Sight but that's not really unique to the hexblade. Keep in mind the themes I wanna maintain are Damage/Tank/Utility in that order of priority.

Sorry your last thread got hijacked.

Have you picked your invocations for 2nd level yet? Your choices so far are perfectly strong.

Here's my 'guide.' It's basically a highlight list of things that I think are cool.

2:
Agonizing blast makes you a ranged character. Bam, done.

Devil's sight: You already know about this. This is a really strong feature but at higher levels, casting darkness out of a 4-5 spell slot is not really a win.

Mask of many faces: You are now a master of disguise

3:Pact of the blade. The real choice here is if you want to go with greatsword, polearm, or S&B. Greatsword is more damage, S&B makes you tougher, and Polearm lets you run up to someone, poke them, and run away. No need to commit to this until you start taking feats.

4: EA is a good choice

5:
Thirsting blade is necessary to keep your melee attacks competitive.

Eldritch smite lets you nuke a target.

Tomb of Levistus lets you ignore one nuke a rest.

Improved pact weapon lets you cast while holding a S&B, which is very nice, but the invocation is overall weak if you get a magic weapon.

6:???

Past this,things open up to the point that it's really hard to give you a guide. A few levels of paladin are a great way to solidify your position in melee. A few levels of sorcerer give you quicken, which is awesomely efficient for you. You'll want lifedrinker if you get to high levels as a hexblade.

As to spells, Armor of Agathys is your bread and butter. Hex is good for when you're at range, and bad otherwise. At high levels, you can keep Hex up across multiple encounters. Don't pick shield or any spell that doesn't scale, unless you have some serious cheese like darkness+devil's sight available. Hold person is great.

ajrockstarr
2018-04-13, 03:41 PM
Alright thanks man, glad someone is finally sort of outlining some stuff for me at least, so many short quick comments on my other thread it was hard to really get a read from anyone