PDA

View Full Version : Player Help List of UMD-able items?

Goaty14
2018-04-13, 09:52 AM
I'm looking for a list of items that have a different effect depending on race, alignment, or class features possessed (thus being malleable with UMD) that isn't a scroll or a wand, but I haven't seen anything yet, any help?

Menzath
2018-04-13, 02:06 PM
The big two that come to mind besides staves, would be a holy avenger, and monks belt. As for a list... Might check if there is one in the guide book compilation.

Zaq
2018-04-14, 10:33 AM
One that I’ve seen come up fairly often is UMDing an alignment for the Enveloping Pit and similar relics.

There’s also the argument about whether it’s possible (and/or viable) to UMD “being a Monk” for the Sparring Dummy of the Master.

Gelcur
2018-04-14, 01:13 PM
There’s also the argument about whether it’s possible (and/or viable) to UMD “being a Monk” for the Sparring Dummy of the Master.

This is one of my favorites but since monk has alignment requirement you need to UMD not only a DC 21 but also DC 30 if you are not Lawful OR if Dragon is allowed Chaotic.

There is also the awesome Horseshoes of Flame, usable for a UMD DC of 25 to emulate race. Same goes for Gemstone of Fortification.

Just remember for items that need to be used for extended periods of time like the Sparring Dummy of the Master require hourly checks, in this case 224, without failure or you have to start over. For worn items constantly in effect again hourly checks are needed. Failure requires 24 hours to try again.

Then there is the ever crazy UMD DC 40 emulate specific individual, which lets you bypass most other limiting factors as long as you can come up with someone who you can emulate. We found a Relic you say? I could be follower X with the True Believer feat...

Cosi
2018-04-14, 01:24 PM
The wording of knowstones describes the expenditure of the spell slot as part of the activation. The PHB examples for UMD demonstrate that emulating a class feature allows you to emulate expending uses of that class feature. Together, these allow you to buy at-will spell slots.

heavyfuel
2018-04-14, 01:51 PM
The big two that come to mind besides staves, would be a holy avenger, and monks belt. As for a list... Might check if there is one in the guide book compilation.

I don't see how either the Holy Avenger or the Monk's Belt benefit from UMD since being a Paladin or a Monk isn't a class feature.

You can't emulate being a paladin, and you can't emulate being a monk

Cosi
2018-04-14, 02:21 PM
I don't see how either the Holy Avenger or the Monk's Belt benefit from UMD since being a Paladin or a Monk isn't a class feature.

You can't emulate being a paladin, and you can't emulate being a monk

The specific ability of the Monk's Belt is:

The wearer’s AC and unarmed damage is treated as a monk of five levels higher.

You can't emulate "being a Monk". You can emulate the specific Monk class feature "AC bonus".

heavyfuel
2018-04-14, 04:33 PM
The specific ability of the Monk's Belt is:

You can't emulate "being a Monk". You can emulate the specific Monk class feature "AC bonus".

You can only use UMD's "Emulate Class Feature" option if you otherwise can't activate the item

Sometimes you need to use a class feature to activate a magic item. In this case, your effective level in the emulated class equals your Use Magic Device check result minus 20.

Monk's belt isn't such a case, anyone can activate it by wearing it and gaining the AC of a 5th level monk. If you don't need to use the class feature to activate the item, then you can't use this particular UMD option.