PDA

View Full Version : Game Jumpers

GoldenChaos
2018-04-13, 03:00 PM
So I play Pathfinder and Star Wars Saga Edition and we got the idea of what if we played a game where we were game hoppers. Basically each quest would be us in a different video game. I know this has been done before but we all really like the idea of it. There is only a couple problems:
1. How do we not put a ton of stress on the GM because Everytime we game hopped wouldn't all the rules, physics, equipment, and stuff of the game change.
2. What would the players be doing. Would they be completing a quest in this new game and when that was complete would they hop to the next or would they be trying to obtain something from the game to move on or a combination of the two.
3. How would you convert the stats of the character from one game to the next.

Any help would much appreciated.

Khedrac
2018-04-13, 05:23 PM
For a start I woudl say "go and watch Wreck-It Ralph" - not only is it a good film, but it actually deals with this and might give you useful ideas.

The second thing might be to use a system like Gurps which is not only generic (so shoudl cover most genres) but has sourcebooks for a huge number of different worlds (which may cover some of the ones you want) and thus will cut down on the work required.

GoldenChaos
2018-04-13, 05:31 PM
Also any suggestions for games we should try would be great.

ImNotTrevor
2018-04-13, 05:50 PM
FATE Accelerated could do this in its sleep.

I know, because I've done that kind of campaign in Fate before.

Chad Hooper
2018-04-13, 06:44 PM
If you have (or can get) adequate rulebooks or PDFs to run AD&D, Gamma World, and Boot Hill (the original TSR versions of all three), you'll find a set of rules for converting between the three games in the AD&D DMG. Some of Roger Moore's editorials in Dragon Magazine when he was at the helm there described events from cross-genre games that hopped around like that.

You could use those "as is" and use AD&D for any fantasy/medieval type game, Boot Hill as your basis for Wild West and Modern setting video games (but have to improv some for, say flight and racing games), and Gamma World for any SF type games (again, some improv for space travel, flight, etc. needed).

RIFTS could also probably be utilized for multi-genre/multi-period play as the setting is so broad-based in tech, magic, and weirdness. Some gaps would need to be filled by the GM, I'm sure.

GURPS was suggested but unless they've changed the 3d6 for in-game mechanics I don't recommend it. Bell curve instead of linear probability like a d10, d20, or d100 based system generates is not something I enjoy, YMMV.

All that said, is there a single system available nowadays that fits multi-genre RPGs besides GURPS?

Hurske
2018-04-14, 10:05 AM
I am actually partly doing this with Savage Worlds, using the Interface Zero setting. The VR games they run, are other Savage Worlds settings as well as my own creations.

GoldenChaos
2018-04-14, 12:07 PM
I have seen Wreck it Ralph and I will check out Gurps

Pleh
2018-04-15, 09:41 AM
I say it's simpler than all these answers. Play a connected PF SWSaga pair of games and each player makes 2 characters, 1 PF character and 1 Saga character. No need to translate abilities or make rules compatible, you just hop into a different body in another universe.

Here's the catch: events in one game parallel the other. The heroes secure a magic artifact in PF, then hop over to Saga to find a new tech item in their inventory. They befriend an alien in Saga and find a friendly monster later in PF.

Hazrond
2018-04-15, 10:19 AM
Better yet. Just use Pathfinder’s Sci-Fi twin Starfinder for the Sci-Fi mechanics.

Conversion between the two, while not 1 to 1, would be pretty simple for the most part. The game even includes a handy conversion guide in the back of the Starfinder CRB.

If you want to get extra zealous I believe 3.5 had a Modern version that could be converted back and forth from, and Pathfinder supports conversion from 3.5 so while it isn’t as direct it’s still an option to convert from Modern into 3.5 into PF.

2D8HP
2018-04-15, 10:28 AM
.....is there a single system available nowadays that fits multi-genre RPGs besides GURPS?

Chaosium's BRP, which is just so intuitive.

(Here's a pdf sample (https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0ahUKEwi2yMuqooTUAhVpz1QKHZrTAPAQFggfMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.chaosium.com%2Fcontent%2FFree PDFs%2FBRP%2FCHA2021%2520-%2520Basic%2520RolePlaying%2520Quick-Start.pdf&usg=AFQjCNGmy2_JQrnYDUhYIyRJT3ghBDKF-Q)), it is my "go-to" generic system.

They're many BRP based games, the most known of which is Call of Cthullu, which I found to be one of the easiest RPG's to Gamemaster or "Keeper", more D&D like were RuneQuest (the original "BRP" game), and Pendragon (my favorite), Ringworld was a far future setting version.

jayem
2018-04-15, 10:44 AM
FATE Accelerated could do this in its sleep.

I know, because I've done that kind of campaign in Fate before.

A slightly more shared improvisational system for some of the wackier environments, seems an ideal way to let the GM catch up, while still getting the fun on the day and memories to use in further adventures.

As for games

If switching between video games Tron cycles has to be there somewhere

Red Alert or Total war (group combat game)
NetHack (or some other classic dungeon crawl)
Elite (a very sandbox/hexcrawly RPG)
Resident Evil
GTA
Halo
Doom
Cod
World of Warcraft
Ace Attourney

Adventure (enjoy Railroading)
Hitchhikers Guide
Civilisation (play as the leaders, with some fixed choices and a decision tree, more CYOA)

Sims (no combat, pure interaction improv)
Mario
Sonic (simplified of what you do for mario, but FAST)
Sim-City (improv but with a budget?)
Minecraft
Tetris/Minesweeper
Missile Command?
Fifa

Jay R
2018-04-15, 07:14 PM
I would use the Hero System, which uses the same rules for fantasy, SF, superhero, etc. As long as the characters have the same power level, a character from Fantasy Hero is completely compatible with Champions, Star Hero, Ninja Hero, Pulp Hero, etc.

Quertus
2018-04-15, 11:29 PM
1. How do we not put a ton of stress on the GM because Everytime we game hopped wouldn't all the rules, physics, equipment, and stuff of the game change.
2. What would the players be doing. Would they be completing a quest in this new game and when that was complete would they hop to the next or would they be trying to obtain something from the game to move on or a combination of the two.
3. How would you convert the stats of the character from one game to the next.

Any help would much appreciated.

I will recommend Mutants & Masterminds as a good choice for this kind of game. I once had 10 characters from 10 different backgrounds together in one "party" in M&M, and it worked out fine.

Heroes is a decent second choice for system, IMO, if you want to keep the same underlying rules set between hops.

Now, what I'm trying to figure out is, are you wanting the characters to remain themselves (as they did in Wreck it Ralph), or to get converted every time they hop? So, does my sniper remain a sniper in a fantasy setting, or is he converted into an elven archer? The former is, obviously, easier if you're keeping a core rules set; the latter is easier if you're switching rules sets ever hop.

So, if you keep one rules set, the answer to conversion is, probably, "you don't".

As to what you could be doing... The most common theme I've heard is taking down malevolent game hoppers. Or being them.

Personally, I'd enjoy just exploring new terrain.