PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Barbarian subclass The Path of Troll.

UniqueAndItsOwn
2018-04-13, 04:11 PM
I've been thinking of a homebrew barbarian path mostly based of Tokyo ghoul, Path of the Troll. fluff; you were a normal person until one day you were attacked and on death's door. some one saved you... Or cursed you. You received transplanted organs from a troll in order to save your life.

Mechanics ; '

Keen Smell' starting at lvl 3 you have advantage on wisdom (perception) checks that rely on smell.

'Trollish tenacity' starting at lvl 3 you gain some of the regeneration of a troll while raging, when you enter a rage and at the start of subsequent turns you regain hit points = to your con modifier + half your barbarian lvl. You do not regain hit points if you took acid or fire damage this round.

'Naturally deadly' lvl 6 your body starts to betray your trollish origins. Your fingers grow into cruel claws, your teeth grow and sharpen, the color of your irises changes to a sickly yellow green and your scleras become black as night. you may make unarmed claw attacks that deal 2d6 + strength mod slashing damage. You may make a bite attack as a bonus action 1d6 + Strength mod piercing damage. You also gain dark vision if you didn't already have it.

'Trolls stomach' at lvl 10 you feel an aching hunger that nothing seems to satiate, you have advantage on saves against poison and/or traps that rely on being eaten. Also you can consume the flesh of almost anything with no ill effects.

'Loathsome Limbs' at lvl 14 your limbs aren't destroyed when detached and can be reattached as an action, if they are not reattached they will regrow when you take a short or long reast. While the limb is unattached it may move with a speed of 5feet and if it's an arm you may use it to attack as an action. detached limbs have an AC of 13 and 10 HP.

UniqueAndItsOwn
2018-04-13, 09:28 PM
Realized that 2d6 at lvl 6 for unarmed attack may be a bit unbalanced, maybe it should fallow the monks table?
1d6 at lvl 6, 1d8 at lvl 11, 1d10 at lvl 17. ?

Or go 1d6 from 6-9, 1d8 from 10-13, 1d10 from 14-17, and at 18 and up 1d12. ?

Also more on the fluff side thought up a new favorite food table to roll on or choose from: roll a d10 Or choose from the following table
1 - Goblinoids
2 - Undead
3 - Orcs
4 - Elves and Gnomes
5 - Dwarfs
6 - Humans and Halflings
7 - Trolls
8 - Celestials
9 - Fey
10 - Fiends

Lalliman
2018-04-14, 06:54 AM
Trollish Tenacity had me reeling at first sight, since the healing is arguably much more powerful than the Champion's, but it actually seems alright. Given that it only works while raging, you can only heal up to a certain amount from it anyways.

Naturally Deadly is fine at 2d6 if you really want the character to use unarmed attacks. You definitely shouldn't use the monk's damage progression, it isn't made for that. The scaling damage die is part of the monk's power progression, but the barbarian is assumed to have a consistent damage die all across his career, and advances his damage though Rage and Brutal Critical. Adding damage die progression would make the class back-loaded.

That being said, getting a bonus attack in addition to your 2d6 normal attack is a major power boost that isn't appropriate at this level. I suggest you put all unarmed strikes at 1d8 if you want to keep the bonus attack, then it's the same as dual wielding. Barbarians are only supposed to get a minor feature at 6th anyways.

Troll's Stomach is good.

Loathsome Limbs: Barbarians are supposed to get a major combat boost at 14th level. Given that there are no rules for dismemberment, aside from those optional rules for troll NPCs, this feature effectively does nothing. You should come up with something else for this level.

UniqueAndItsOwn
2018-04-15, 02:06 AM
Thanks Lalliman I really appreciate the feed back.

My brother and I have been brainstorming and this is what we've come up with.

Level 3 'keen smell' and 'trollish tenacity'

Level 6 'Hunger Pain' - your teeth grow and sharpen you may make a bite attack as a bonus action it deals 1d4 or 1d8 when attacking your favourite prey
choose one from the list to be your favourite prey you can choose one additional favourite at lvl 12 and 18
Humanoids (choose two i.e. elves and orcs)
Goblinoids
Giants
Dragons
Undead
Fiends
Fey
Celestials
aberrations
You have advantage on wisdom (survival) checks when tracking your favourite prey.
Also , you have advantage on saves against poison and/or traps that rely on being eaten. Also you can consume the flesh of almost anything with no ill effects.

Level 10 'Naturally deadly' your body starts to betray your trollish origins. Your fingers grow into cruel claws, the color of your irises changes to a sickly yellow green and your scleras become black as night. you may make unarmed claw attacks that deal 1d8 + strength mod slashing damage and count as magical for the purpose of overcoming resistance and immunity to non magical attacks, your bite also gains this trait. You gain dark vision if you didn't already have it.

Level 14 still unsure.

Any additional feed back or ideas would be greatly appreciated.