PDA

View Full Version : what are the rules for magic armor/weapons?

Neowulf
2018-04-13, 10:41 PM
in a recent game, I've overheard a conversation between players where they were talking about how you'd need to make your armor/weapon a +1 before giving it a different enchantment (such as flaming or ghost touch)

I looked up on the SRD & these are the rules

In addition to an enhancement bonus, weapons may have special abilities. Special abilities count as additional bonuses for determining the market value of the item, but do not modify attack or damage bonuses (except where specifically noted). A single weapon cannot have a modified bonus (enhancement bonus plus special ability bonus equivalents) higher than +10. A weapon with a special ability must have at least a +1 enhancement bonus.

and according to that last part, it makes it sound more like it says that a weapon can't have the special ability without the +1 bonus, as apposed to only having a +1 bonus
am I wrong in my understanding of the rules?

Covenant12
2018-04-13, 11:14 PM
Right, magic weapons must have a minimum +1 enhancement bonus and pay for that in the cost. No +0 flaming weapons for example.

As quoted: "A weapon with a special ability must have at least a +1 enhancement bonus." As parties begin to optimize they realize chained greater magic weapon, likely with a caster level boost, means +1 is all you need. But +0 is not an option. As weapon/armor costs grow exponentially with totaled bonuses, +0 would be great if it were allowed. But it isn't.

BowStreetRunner
2018-04-13, 11:45 PM
You can have a special ability on a weapon, armor, or shield with an enhancement bonus greater than +1, but it always has to have at minimum that +1 enhancement bonus.

Where this becomes confusing however is that since only masterwork items may be enhanced to become magic armor and weapons, and since masterwork weapons provide a +1 enhancement bonus on attack rolls (but not damage), you might be tempted to add a special ability with just the masterwork enhancement bonus. However, most DMs will rule that since the rules state that "Magic weapons have enhancement bonuses ranging from +1 to +5. They apply these bonuses to both attack and damage rolls when used in combat." You have to have the +1 enhancement to attack and damage from magic before you can add a special ability. The pricing guidelines also support this.