PDA

View Full Version : What is a fun not so common race for Tempest Cleric?

CTurbo
2018-04-14, 01:55 AM
I'm thinking about rolling up another Tempest Cleric since I had so much fun with my last one, but I'm looking for a race other than Human, Elf, or Dwarf

I can use point buy or 15, 14, 13, 13, 11, 10

I'm really wanting a race that provides a Wis boost because I really want to bump Wis to 18 at level 4. We are not using feats.

Also, this character will be on the front line with a Fighter. The other characters are Wizard and Rogue.

I was considering-

Lizardfolk - Would be tough as nails, but would suffer in either weapon(or bite) attack stat.
Water Genasi - love the flavor for a Tempest, but same as above about having a crappy attack stat.
Aarakocra - Probably my pick if I didn't need to be on the front line. Even still raining Lightning while flying around sounds awesome.
Firbolg - Probably the only way I get 16 Str, 16 Wis and heavy armor. Would be great in melee.
Halfling(Ghostwise) - Would be hilarious down on the front line next to the Goliath Fighter. Also hilarious for a tiny Halfling to call down some lightning lol
Aasimar(Protector) - I like this one thematically too. The Cha bonus is wasted, but still feels like a great Cleric race even though they're usually more popular with Paladins.

Chugger
2018-04-14, 02:03 AM
Triton? /shug

Quoz
2018-04-14, 02:37 AM
Minotaur is great for this if the UA is allowed. Sailor background, you controlled wind and wave for a naval vessel before turning adventurer.

Waazraath
2018-04-14, 03:02 AM
I'd go Firbolg; the occasional invisibility and disguise self are abilities that aren't available to Clerics, normally. And as you mentioned, stat modifiers are great.

8wGremlin
2018-04-14, 03:11 AM
Are you allowed UA or Plainshift, cus those merfolk look good

Rashagar
2018-04-14, 08:48 AM
Well, tengu from folklore often have associations with lightning and storms, so from that perspective maybe a kenku would be a common choice, but from the perspective of d&d maybe not so much?
Crows can be associated with both fortune and misfortune, which tie in spells like bless/bane/bestow curse quite nicely.
And if you choose to go with the whole "can only speak through use of their mimic feature" thing they have going on then what better way to represent that than speaking in scripture? Half the human preacher types in popular media only ever mimic things they've already heard before anyway.

Matrix_Walker
2018-04-14, 08:50 AM
I'd go Firbolg; the occasional invisibility and disguise self are abilities that aren't available to Clerics, normally. And as you mentioned, stat modifiers are great.

Beat me to it!

Bingo!

djreynolds
2018-04-14, 08:55 AM
Charisma bonus is never wasted, a dip of sorcerer is always welcome. Chromatic orb is potent, even if your spell attack for charisma is say a +2

GooeyChewie
2018-04-14, 09:01 AM
With Water Genasi you could point buy into:

Str 14
Dex 11
Con 12+2 = 14
Int 10
Wis 15+1 = 16
Cha 10

Or if you don't mind being a bit offputting to NPCs and having your IQ measured in the upper double-digits...

Str 14
Dex 12
Con 14+2 = 16
Int 8
Wis 15+1 = 16
Cha 8