PDA

View Full Version : Forge Domain cleric dipping Wizard.

Thunderbird
2018-04-14, 05:35 AM
So, the campaign where I was playing a Forge Domain cleric died when we were about to hit level 5. Considering I enjoyed the character and didn't have much time to play with him, and with a new campaign about to start, I thought about rolling him again.

The race is Mountain Dwarf and the stats were rolled: 15(17), 11, 15(17), 13, 16, 8.
Now, with that sweet 13 on Intelligence, I thought about a 1 level Wizard dip. That would get me Booming Blade, Green-Flame Blade, Find Familiar, Shield and Absorb Elements.

Do you think all these are good enough to justify the delay of the Cleric spell progression?
Also, what rituals would you suggest besides Find Familiar? I think Detect Magic is also good (and I won't have to prepare it as a Cleric).

djreynolds
2018-04-14, 09:05 AM
So, the campaign where I was playing a Forge Domain cleric died when we were about to hit level 5. Considering I enjoyed the character and didn't have much time to play with him, and with a new campaign about to start, I thought about rolling him again.

The race is Mountain Dwarf and the stats were rolled: 15(17), 11, 15(17), 13, 16, 8.
Now, with that sweet 13 on Intelligence, I thought about a 1 level Wizard dip. That would get me Booming Blade, Green-Flame Blade, Find Familiar, Shield and Absorb Elements.

Do you think all these are good enough to justify the delay of the Cleric spell progression?
Also, what rituals would you suggest besides Find Familiar? I think Detect Magic is also good (and I won't have to prepare it as a Cleric).

Sounds great, also 2 levels of wizard and you could get say sculpt spell from evocation, or arcane ward from abjuration.

I have wizard/cleric multiclass and sculpt spell is nice to have.

Also grab minor illusion, it has uses only your imagination limits. I have used it to convey ideas, a picture is worth a thousand words... like a sketch artist.

Your build sounds great. And remember you can still fill up that wizard spellbook, there are lots of 1st level spells out there.

HolyAvenger7
2018-04-18, 10:09 AM
...or if that's all you want, just use the magic initiate feat to keep your spell progression.

Vogie
2018-04-18, 11:50 AM
If you dip Conjuration Wizard 2, you can also quickly manifest things that you don't want to spend your Channel Divinity On.

Kyrinthic
2018-04-18, 01:07 PM
If you are going to dip wizard, go 2 levels. If you just want a little wizard-like utility, get magic initiate.

If you are going to do the 2 level dip, there are a lot of options that are strong. I suggest you consider War wizard 2, if you are primarily using attack cantrips in the front line, then the cost is minor for a free +2 ac boost when you need it, or more importantly, a +4 save boost.

Sigreid
2018-04-18, 01:24 PM
I wouldn't. I'd just get magic initiate or ritual caster depending on what I want most if it was really that important to me. But the reality is I wouldn't do that either.

Hypocritically enough, I'd have a wizard dip forge cleric in a heartbeat.